Fuel Rant (Atikoken)

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Fuel Rant (Atikoken)

Post by Shiny Side Up »

Funny story. Group of guys at the home field are looking to get together and purchase a fuel system since they're mad at the local business that sells fuel. They figure that they can save around 20 cents a litre on avgas if they go through with it. Right now I think the buy in cost per partner is around $4000. Now I pointed out to one of the fellows who was asking if I was interested in getting in on this deal, I had to point out that to break even i'd have to use 20,000 litres of fuel, i'd roughly have to fly 780 hours before I technically started saving. Now I might be able to do that, but I also had to ask who was going to, and what was the plan for managing this set up. Blank looks. More comical when you realise that most of the interested parties fly less than 50 hours a year, thus if they have similar fuel burns to me, and given that most of them are in the 50+ crowd, they might not live long enough to save any money.

People often can't see past a small savings though. Tripping over dollars to pick up pennies.
---------- ADS -----------

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
MrWings
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by MrWings »

I'd like to thank c150rocks for sharing the experience. It is a lesson to all especially those flying to new areas. Thorough fllght planning is very important.

Just because you can make the stop doesn't mean you should make the stop. To save some bucks, maybe you have to make more stops. Is the extra time worth the savings? Only you can decide.

For me, for new or infrequently visited places, I always call ahead. Very important to do in remote areas or small local airports where services may be unavailable.

Proximity and availability to town is another factor I consider when overnighting.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

I decided to take a small backroad to avoid the Trans-Canada, and pulled into a tiny little town in the middle of nowhere for gas. The station was closed, there was no one around, and there was a sign saying that if I called the attendant it would cost me $100. I acknowledged that, and called him out. While he was filling me up, he told me that he'd had to stop playing baseball with his kids, which he only got to do on the weekend, just so that I could fuel up because I had decided not to take a more travelled route. And then that SOB had the audacity to actually charge me the $100 that I knew I would have to pay before I called him away from his family! What a selfish jerk!
:roll:

midwingcrisis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by midwingcrisis »

c150rocks Thank you for the post. I see GA is booming in Canada. Use of "fees" by local authorities will catch up to them at some point. Should have taken the southern route, much friendlier and it's grassroots. Sorry to hear and see.

How do you go 205 kts TAS on 32 gal/hr without turbos!
c150rocks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by c150rocks »

HiFlyChick wrote:Okay, so I just read through this read and while we've spoken the truth, I'm now feeling a bid bad for c150rocks because frankly, we sometimes were a bit harsh and this was after all a rant thread to blow off steam...

So here's a little sympathy that you needed earlier, c150rocks:
Man, that sucks! And in the middle of the day - oh brother! You were ripped off, dude ;)
Based on on the negative comments, ya I suppose I might be out in left field a bit. Honestly, I don't have a billon hours but I have been flying for about 25 years and this was my very first experience of call out charges at the personal level. I've had call out charges for company aircraft in the wee hours of the morning or late at night but I didn't pay for them so out of sight out of mind. I'll take the sympathy post...lol even if its meant to be a bit of a nudge. Cheers!!!

c150rocks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by c150rocks »

[quote="Broken Slinky"]Yup, can't really feel too much sympathy for a call out charge or high 100LL prices in "remote" locations. When the CFS specifies a call out charge it is what it is. I'm sure the Town(ship) is paying this gent overtime to come out and pump fuel. They have the overhead of maintaining whatever fuel equipment they use. They have to purchase and store the fuel. I'm sure it is not as simple as running down to the corner gas station/kwik-e-mart and topping up their tank with avgas. On top of all that they probably have the bean counters hounding them that the whole process is a yearly loss for them. As Rookie50 stated, we just don't have the volume of GA traffic like in the US to justify handlers waiting for you at the hold line that do everything except wipe your butt.[/quot

Wipe your butt.....Come on.... Keep it mature.

c150rocks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by c150rocks »

MrWings wrote:I'd like to thank c150rocks for sharing the experience. It is a lesson to all especially those flying to new areas. Thorough fllght planning is very important.

Just because you can make the stop doesn't mean you should make the stop. To save some bucks, maybe you have to make more stops. Is the extra time worth the savings? Only you can decide.

For me, for new or infrequently visited places, I always call ahead. Very important to do in remote areas or small local airports where services may be unavailable.

Proximity and availability to town is another factor I consider when overnighting.

Thank You Mr. Wings, Indeed I taken a lot of the comments in and will certainly be on the ball going forward. Appreciate it.

c150rocks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by c150rocks »

Diadem wrote:I decided to take a small backroad to avoid the Trans-Canada, and pulled into a tiny little town in the middle of nowhere for gas. The station was closed, there was no one around, and there was a sign saying that if I called the attendant it would cost me $100. I acknowledged that, and called him out. While he was filling me up, he told me that he'd had to stop playing baseball with his kids, which he only got to do on the weekend, just so that I could fuel up because I had decided not to take a more travelled route. And then that SOB had the audacity to actually charge me the $100 that I knew I would have to pay before I called him away from his family! What a selfish jerk!
:roll:

Sarcasm noted!

c150rocks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by c150rocks »

midwingcrisis wrote:c150rocks Thank you for the post. I see GA is booming in Canada. Use of "fees" by local authorities will catch up to them at some point. Should have taken the southern route, much friendlier and it's grassroots. Sorry to hear and see.

Thanks Midwingcrisis, I honestly thought of the southern route. I've always enjoyed flying in US airspace and the incredible service I've had over the years. I remember landing in Iron Mountain Michigan several years ago with my Cessna. I came across from Duluth enroute to Oshkosh but deaked into Iron Mountain to keep away from weather. The FBO honest to God, put down a red carpet, treated me the same as the crew of the G5 beside me. I've shared this story many times in my circle and indeed, you guys do it right.
Cheers

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

c150rocks wrote: I'll take the sympathy post...lol even if its meant to be a bit of a nudge. Cheers!!!
No nudge intended - you got enough whacks upside the head!
It's too easy to be quite rude to people on the internet and say things we would never say in person. In person I would've given you the sympathy right off before (perhaps) gently ribbing you about not calling :)

As fun as the whole hop-in-the-plane-and-go concept is, it can end up costing you a lot if it means not calling. Not just for call-out charges, but cost of fuel, taxis, etc. I've had some horrendous costs for cabs before when I just hopped in and went without asking first. In some places, renting a car can be a break-even and occasionally even cheaper than a taxi (assuming you have other insurance coverage through your credit card, like I do), and it's so much more convenient, no waiting, you can wander around, including wandering to find a good restaurant.

In one of the big American airports (I forget which) it was apparently required by the airport that all FBOs sell avgas, but most didn't want small aircraft, so they priced the fuel out of this world. The one I went to was something like $2/gallon cheaper than the most expensive.

c150rocks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by c150rocks »

HiFlyChick wrote:
c150rocks wrote: I'll take the sympathy post...lol even if its meant to be a bit of a nudge. Cheers!!!
No nudge intended - you got enough whacks upside the head!

LOL.... thanks HiFlyChick.... My head hurts a bit but I'm stubborn, I'm Irish and broad shoulders. I can take a lickin... Fly Safe.....Cheers

Broken Slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Broken Slinky »

c150rocks wrote:Wipe your butt.....Come on.... Keep it mature.
Wasn't being immature or trying to be demeaning towards you. I've been to some FBOs in the U.S. That were way too helpful. They've gotten in there and cleaned up puke, spilled beverages, brought out fresh baked cookies and cold ice tea. They've helped unload my plane in the pouring rain. They've towed my plane into a hangar in a downpour while we sat dry in the lounge. Given their personal cars for us to run into town for dinner. FBOs with fresh popcorn and slushies waiting for you when you walk in. Rolled out the red carpet (literally) and delivered us by golf cart wherever we wanted to go. All this and I'm taxi'n up in a plane that carries 96 gallons of 100LL so they know they're not putting their kids through university on the money we'll e dropping.
Not saying that you won't find that in Canada but they're few and far between. The main reason I think is they have the volume of GA traffic throwing them money to warrant it.

Return to “General Comments”