Home owner shoots down Drone. It's Started!

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Tinker
Rank 2
Rank 2

Home owner shoots down Drone. It's Started!

Post by Tinker »

1.On Sunday, a Kentucky man was arrested after he blasted a small drone out of the sky over his yard. William Merideth says he was protecting his property rights and his privacy.
2.The owner of the $1,800 drone insists he wasn't trying to invade anyone's privacy. He says he was trying to get pictures of a friend's house, and that he kept the drone at a respectful height of 200 feet.
3.Local authorities say Merideth violated laws against shooting guns in the town of Hillview.
4.Merideth may also have run afoul of Federal Aviation Administration regulations, which make it a crime to shoot down aircraft regardless of whether they are manned or unmanned.

While Merideth's vigilante tactics might not be legal, his actions reflected common concerns that drones can threaten privacy. There are currently few federal regulations governing snooping by drones, and it's unclear how a patchwork of state laws will apply to unmanned aerial vehicles. A firearm is probably the wrong way to protect our privacy against invasion by drones, but it remains to be seen whether the law will give property owners better options
---------- ADS -----------

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Home owner shoots down Drone. It's Started!

Post by North Shore »

Apparently, his daughter was sunbathing at the time...
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... down-1800/

"If you cross my property line, there's going to be another shooting!" Lol. Great stuff!

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

North Shore wrote: "If you cross my property line, there's going to be another shooting!" Lol. Great stuff!

+1

Discharging a firearm into the air in a community is dangerous (what does up, must come down) but I agree with the ire of the property-owner.

P.S.- i doubt a drone is legally classified as an aircraft. If a single seat, <254 pound single-seat flying machine is not an aircraft, then nor is an unmanned drone.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

he shot it with a shotgun, pellets coming down would be like being sprinkled with rice at a wedding, hurts if they throw it hard, hell there is a skeet club next to the airport

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

Thanks for the tip, riggpiggy. ;-)

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
CID
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CID »

These things are becoming a nuisance.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/01/us/drone- ... index.html

all_ramped_up
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by all_ramped_up »

Would have done the same thing I was in his shoes.

Fly it all you want unless it's into the bubble of my backyard!

Topspin
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Topspin »

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015 ... n-alleged/

Via telemetry, drone was shot down at an altitude of 250+ feet while in motion. Motion doesn't cease. Does not corroborate the homeowners story of hovering 10 feet over his back yard. On top of this, he fired the shotgun 3 times, you shouldn't miss once trying to hit a hovering drone at 10 feet shooting bird. Finally when the drone people walked over to ask what happened, he threatened to go get his glock.

Unless the drone pilot somehow fabricated his telemetry...

Pilot is certainly wrong, but lunatic neighbour appears to be a grade A asshole.

JungleMonkey
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JungleMonkey »

That's right the guy controlling the drone is "certainly wrong". I wouldn't call him a pilot.

I agree with the homeowner shooting it down (if it was in his bubble). The gun-toting home-owner thought the perv neighbor was spying on him. However, using a shotgun to do it in city limits was kinda stupid and even dangerous. I think some air cannon that shoots a net would be the ticket. Or a water cannon. Perhaps I will start an anti-drone cannon company :)

Anybody have some good, safe ideas for shooting down drones without endangering people? I'm all ears.

It looks like these drones will have to be banned within city limits just like guns. I like the idea.

Also, if you've ever been to Kentucky, you will realize that rednecks with shotguns are fairly normal and the person who wrote the news article was obviously hard-up for a story.

Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

How about some kind of radio transmitter that can override the operator's controller. All Your Base Belong To Us! :D

Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

JungleMonkey wrote:That's right the guy controlling the drone is "certainly wrong". I wouldn't call him a pilot.

I agree with the homeowner shooting it down (if it was in his bubble). The gun-toting home-owner thought the perv neighbor was spying on him. However, using a shotgun to do it in city limits was kinda stupid and even dangerous. I think some air cannon that shoots a net would be the ticket. Or a water cannon. Perhaps I will start an anti-drone cannon company :)

Anybody have some good, safe ideas for shooting down drones without endangering people? I'm all ears.

It looks like these drones will have to be banned within city limits just like guns. I like the idea.

Also, if you've ever been to Kentucky, you will realize that rednecks with shotguns are fairly normal and the person who wrote the news article was obviously hard-up for a story.
Yeah dude: a Shotgun with #8 shot, exactly as this man did.

A quick search of Google verified my thoughts. #8 is lethal to about 50 meters.

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
human garbage
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by human garbage »

Topspin wrote: Via telemetry, drone was shot down at an altitude of 250+ feet while in motion...

Unless the drone pilot somehow fabricated his telemetry...
All I can say is if the reports about him using #8 Bird on it are correct (MSN article), then something doesn't add up there. I'd think the effective range of that ammo would be less than 40 yards let alone 250 feet! EDIT: What ^ he said.

Fabrication is possible. Not like drone guy is going to hand over telemetry and video of him creeping on minor teenage girls sunbathing right?

I'd don't know all the circumstances so I'm not going to judge. If the homeowner was firing toward a safe 'backstop' and drone guy was doing what he alleges, then I lean toward a righteous shoot. Not what I would have done personally though.

I'm going to build a HERF gun for in case the need ever arises to take one down. No discharge bylaws in my city preclude anything else. :mrgreen:

"...flying airplanes is really not all that difficult so it attracts some of the most mentally challenged people in society." - . .

"Baby, stick out your can... 'cause I'm the garbageman"
Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

Actually, a paintball gun would be reasonably effective at that range, the paint would do a number on any of the lightweight drones that are available, I I survived the impact.

But being more creative, one can look to history for some possible deterrents or anti-drone devices. A cluster of helium ballons might do the trick if guided with a suitable length of string, with a bit of a breeze a kite might be employed as well.

Thinking of something more esoteric, i'd be most tempted to employ a variety of fireworks, or amploy a solution involving model rocketry, a suicide mission for another remote controled device, or possibly one using a trailing streamer to entangle the invading drone.

It is also said that life's greatest pleasure involves Falconry, and if you can use falconry to also crush your enemy, well that's a win-win.

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

so about 91 yds away, ever patterned a shotgun? roughly 1" spread/yd so a 90" circle is a rough spread. youd be darn lucky to hit a quail let alone kill it at that range. a bird shot at 30 ish yards the pellets very rarely penetrate deeper than a few millimeters. so the question is lethal to what.

Meddler
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Meddler »

So lessons learned:

1. A shotgun can knockdown some drones at surprisingly long range.
2. Some folks in Kentucky are pretty handy with a scatter gun.
3. Don't fly anything to low across this guys backyard. Or mine.

Btw. A shotgun with any small birdshot pointed up is nt going to hurt anyone around when it comes down. I've been rained on by #4 shot lots of times. Seems like a good solution to me.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

I'm voting for the water cannon. That's if you want to stay within Canada's culture and laws. Everybody has a garden hose in their back yard. Iif you need more power than that, small gas water pumps can throw water pretty far.

LousyFisherman
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LousyFisherman »

Slingshot with ice cubes. With practise, dead shot up to 30-40 metres
and the evidence melts,

LF

Women and planes have alot in common
Both are expensive, loud, and noisy.
However, when handled properly both respond well and provide great pleasure
davecessna
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by davecessna »

Robin, hand me the Batjammer™!

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

Sticks and stones..

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

Or, train your raptor:

Return to “General Comments”