Accidents and PTSD

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

quasistationary
Rank 0
Rank 0

Accidents and PTSD

Post by quasistationary »

I've had an aviation accident (yes, the box you checkmark on the TC medical form) and it seems I re-live the events quite often.
I have many concerning dreams and occasionally have anxiety that goes above what should be happening while I am still in the pilot seat. The accident outcome was much better than it could have been, but guilt still resides beneath the memories of the event.
No one was injured in the accident I was involved in, but it was big plane with lots of damage which was striking visually. The cause of the accident was immediately found, and was a mechanical fault. No one was to blame. I didn't think at the time I would need to figure myself out and didn't think I would have long lasting effects, but here I am.
Does anyone know of any specific aviation related PTSD material or references?
It would be appreciated.

quasistationary.
---------- ADS -----------

TA/RA
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Accidents and PTSD

Post by TA/RA »

Thanks for taking the time to post. This is very common and most people arent strong enough to reach out for help. I have sent you a PM please feel free to call.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

I don't know of any specific references but if it helps mine went away after about a year. Manifested itself at the funniest times and I never knew when the next one was coming, but I found if you just relax and wait for it to pass it's fine afterwards. If it's not getting better, you have to get treatment but I don't think you'd need any aviation specific treatment. Just find anyone who does Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for PTSD. As always if you have loss of licence coverage your aviation doc is probably the best person to talk to but otherwise I'd try to deal with it outside TC's gong show medical system if possible.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

I would like to say that the advice in the two previous posts is sound. I feel like I could speculate about the source of your feelings, but it would just be guessing. I'm posting because I think your feelings are rational and understandable and furthermore I don't think they run so deep that a therapist wouldn't be able to provide you with some perspicacity about them.

A few years ago it seemed like people I knew were dying on a regular basis, and it didn't seem like it was ever going to stop. I was able to identify changes in my behaviour, that pointed towards there being processes in my mind that were occurring as a result of these accidents. I had dreams and guilty feelings even though these events were happening on my periphery, except two of them that were very personal. I dreamed that the dead people were trying to communicate with me. Eventually I got over these feelings by myself, but it took a while. And the feelings did not occur in an order or at times that made very much sense to me consciously.

My personal belief is that your subconscious mind is working away, trying to piece together the events of your accident in order to change the way it sees the world. It does this so that the events can fit logically into its model of how the world works. It believes there is a way to prevent these events from happening again. You need to communicate with your subconscious mind to help it come to the conclusions it is looking for. Unfortunately, it is only possible to communicate with your subconscious mind through the most convoluted of channels. I believe a trained therapist can help with this.

I know I sound like some hippy-dippy weirdo here, but I think a lot about this stuff.

I admire you for seeking help.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
quasistationary
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by quasistationary »

First of all, thank you all for sharing as well.
Second, thank you all very much for your replies. I appreciate it.

Reaching out to some people was one of the steps I wanted to take. Why not ask the AVCANADA community, as it relates to us.

I am in the process of acquiring some counselling soon and taking a specific direction towards PTSD. I'm hoping i can target my subconscious, as you said Meatservo, over time to calm it and subdue some of the obvious symptoms i have. CBT seems to be quite helpful. A trip to the local book store is soon for some workbooks.
I know its relating to a Hollywood movie, but the movie American Sniper and its portrayal of Chris Kyle spoke out to me. War veteran, killing, battlefields, death all around, not normal things.
He had symptoms of numbness, irritability, distance, and anxiety. PTSD has these mixed all together of course, and I also know I haven't seen what Chris had saw, but I can see myself having lesser versions of those feelings.
Sometimes though, I find myself saying that it wasn't that bad. I gotta tell myself the symptoms are still there and continue making an effort.
It is a process, it will take time, it is great to talk to people to relate, and realize its not just me and that others have this experience too. No sense being a tough guy.

quasistationary

vanNostrum
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by vanNostrum »

The way we react to traumatic events opens up a window to look in depth at other aspects of our lives. Kudos to you for wanting to deal with this difficult issue. CBT helps , if your councellor deems it helpful explore Attachment Style.
All the best

navajo_jay
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by navajo_jay »

Have a look for EMDR therapy. I'm currently off work for same sort of problem.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

EMDR is apparently incredibly effective for many with PTSD.

watermeth
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by watermeth »

EMDR is the way to go. it's simple and very effective.
good luck

Broken Slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Broken Slinky »

Sorry to hear about your anxiety/PTSD issue. It can't be an easy thing to deal with. I had to read up on EMDR since I'd never heard of it. It sounds like an interesting approach.
For the EMDR users, what form of movements do the therapists usually have the patient use to curb the PTSD if they are starting to feel anxious? Say for example foot tapping, does the tapping eventually get replaced with something else less noticeable or does it just take less toe taps before the episode passes? Apologies if my questions seem dumb or judgemental, just wondering how the process works long term.

Gear Jerker
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Gear Jerker »

Good for you being brave enough to ask for help. Many people aren't able to take that step.

I offer a book recommendation; Psycho Cybernetics by Dr. Maxwell Maltz. Not specifically about dealing with PTSD, but all about the Subconscious mind, it's power and how one can work to control and/or use it to one's advantage.

Best of luck. I'm sure that you'll get through this given the steps you're taking and your attitude towards it.

Look, it's f***in Patrick Swayze and Reveen!

Return to “General Comments”