12 years since the Toronto blackout

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

12 years since the Toronto blackout

Post by Oxi »

More suited for the watercooler which is no more.

Curious how those were affected out of YYZ,YTZ, stories etc

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/08 ... t-out.html
---------- ADS -----------

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: 12 years since the Toronto blackout

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

"Toronto" blackout, that started in Cleveland and affected the entire east coast? Poor Torontonians.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
jump154
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jump154 »

Me - was picking up in-laws at Pearson. Was late, running very low on gas. Decided to fill up after I picked them up.
met them, put them in car, drove out of airport into gas station directly over the street.

Filled up, paid, and as I was pulling out onto Airport Road noticed the lights were out. Spent the next hour driving through Brampton expecting the next grid to be on.....

Very lucky indeed!

Left early next morning to Mosport for the ALMS Sportscar weekend. Plenty of generators at a racetrack, and I was camping so I didn't need power! Still could not run cars as although all systems were working the Province would not release an ambulance to the track due to the state of emergency.

Was very odd driving across Toronto at 4am, seeing patches of light, then total darkness....

The Raven
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Raven »

Just touched down in YYZ. My first officer was the pilot flying, and she planted it on pretty firmly. She had been in a foul mood all day (maybe it was my warped sense of humour). As we taxied off the runway after her firm landing, ATC said they had lost all power to the airport. I said to my first officer, "Now look what you've done". I don't think she appreciated my comment. A few minutes later as we were taxiing towards the terminal, ATC said that all power had been lost in Ontario, Quebec and most of the US Eastern states. I cheekily said to my first officer, "You're in big trouble now".

She's never talked to me since.

vanNostrum
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by vanNostrum »

Redneck_pilot86 wrote:"Toronto" blackout, that started in Cleveland and affected the entire east coast? Poor Torontonians.
Also don't forget it was Mike Harris fault :rolleyes:

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

The Raven wrote:Just touched down in YYZ. My first officer was the pilot flying, and she planted it on pretty firmly. She had been in a foul mood all day (maybe it was my warped sense of humour). As we taxied off the runway after her firm landing, ATC said they had lost all power to the airport. I said to my first officer, "Now look what you've done". I don't think she appreciated my comment. A few minutes later as we were taxiing towards the terminal, ATC said that all power had been lost in Ontario, Quebec and most of the US Eastern states. I cheekily said to my first officer, "You're in big trouble now".

Jeez, sounds you ran into a lady who doesn't possess a sense of humour no matter how "warped". I am sure you will agree no matter the experience, how many type ratings, whatever airline a "firm plant" is common to all, nobody escapes those "arrivals". If I had the privilege of being a F/O with you (judging from your posts you would appear to be a decent person to fly with) and I planked said heavy iron on the asphalt your commentary would have provoked me” yup, the landing that canned the lights out in Toronto, probable measured on the Richter Scale”. Being from and currently living in the Maritimes a sense of humour we consider to be a positive attribute. Just ask guys/gals from the “Rock”, they are the best at it. Just saying!!

:drinkers: :partyman:

upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by upintheair_ »

The Raven wrote:Just touched down in YYZ. My first officer was the pilot flying, and she planted it on pretty firmly. She had been in a foul mood all day (maybe it was my warped sense of humour). As we taxied off the runway after her firm landing, ATC said they had lost all power to the airport. I said to my first officer, "Now look what you've done". I don't think she appreciated my comment. A few minutes later as we were taxiing towards the terminal, ATC said that all power had been lost in Ontario, Quebec and most of the US Eastern states. I cheekily said to my first officer, "You're in big trouble now".

I'm howling. This is hilarious... if she wasn't able to take that as an innocent joke she ain't going to make it far in this industry.

cyeg66
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cyeg66 »

Had been working at YUL ACC since 6 am that morning, was just finishing my shift when we found out YYZ and adjacent centres had lost all power. I was "instructed" by the manager to stick around in case we needed more hands on deck. Turned out to be a 17 hour day.

Turn right/left heading XXX, vectors for the hell of it.
rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

Thank gawd! For the last 12 years I have been carrying the heavy burden of guilt for all that melted ice cream.

I have always thought that the blackout was all my fault for using the toaster and electric kettle simultaneously at my trailer on the Bruce Peninsula. I haven't eaten a BLT since.

Thank You! I feel like a new man.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Was in a Twin Cessna on a cross country from Brampton to Ottawa. Happened in the late afternoon and could not get any fuel in Brampton because of the power failure but fortunately had enough fuel to go anyways prior to sunset. I did delay the flight because I wanted to see the nations capital in pitch black. Would like to have seen Toronto the same way but would have had to hang around for too many hours. A call to YOW confirmed no problem for airport lighting.

YYZ terminal would not let me in to Class C airspace VFR and said they had no altimeter setting. Arrived in Ottawa just after it got dark. North of the river on the Quebec side there was no blackout. On the Ottawa side it was almost all black except........

for the white lines that were the traffic lights of all the cars on busy highways which looked interesting and......

Parliament hill lit up bright as day it seemed.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

upintheair_ wrote:

I'm howling. This is hilarious... if she wasn't able to take that as an innocent joke she ain't going to make it far in this industry.
Where is she now?

ansonchappell
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ansonchappell »

Working YYB FSS. We lost power and quickly had backup power on. After an hour or so YYZ ACC called and said, "Here they come!" We were getting diversions from Pearson, but it only ended up being a 767 and an Airbus, perhaps a JetsGo MD80 as well.

Attachments
Diversions
Diversions
2984_156786290706_3303596_n.jpg (27.58 KiB) Viewed 1221 times
The Raven
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Raven »

ansonchappell wrote:Working YYB FSS. We lost power and quickly had backup power on. After an hour or so YYZ ACC called and said, "Here they come!" We were getting diversions from Pearson, but it only ended up being a 767 and an Airbus, perhaps a JetsGo MD80 as well.
My wife was a flight attendant on that 767. They spent the night in YYB. The passengers were sent to hotels and employees houses for the night. The 7 flight attendants all shared 1 hotel room. The Captain and First Officer both spent the night on the aircraft. I forget why, but it was for some sort of operational reason (APU running possibly), and my wife said they seemed happy to do it.

My wife said that as passengers were leaving the aircraft, the flight attendants opened the bar at the aircraft door and everyone was given booze, pop, chips, (whatever was on board) to take with them. They were well looked after.

ansonchappell
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ansonchappell »

The Raven wrote:
ansonchappell wrote:Working YYB FSS. We lost power and quickly had backup power on. After an hour or so YYZ ACC called and said, "Here they come!" We were getting diversions from Pearson, but it only ended up being a 767 and an Airbus, perhaps a JetsGo MD80 as well.
My wife was a flight attendant on that 767. They spent the night in YYB. The passengers were sent to hotels and employees houses for the night. The 7 flight attendants all shared 1 hotel room. The Captain and First Officer both spent the night on the aircraft. I forget why, but it was for some sort of operational reason (APU running possibly), and my wife said they seemed happy to do it.

My wife said that as passengers were leaving the aircraft, the flight attendants opened the bar at the aircraft door and everyone was given booze, pop, chips, (whatever was on board) to take with them. They were well looked after.
That's too funny, complimentary booze. Such a small world, too!

Return to “General Comments”