Career Question

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Arios016
Rank 0
Rank 0

Career Question

Post by Arios016 »

Hi Guys, first time poster here great forum with lots of information to look through.

I have a couple general questions about flying careers, I have completed my PPL and got around halfway through my CPL before I ran into some major financial hurdles and had to stop completely. This was when I was 20, I am now 27 married and looking to get back into it (the flying bug is strong). Im not necessarily looking to do airline long term as I know that can be a very hard family life.

I know the job market is tough and getting flying jobs themselves will be a challenge. If I wanted to make a career out of flying for some of the smaller carriers is that a feasible long term solution? Would the income from something like that be enough to live on? The main thing I am looking for is to not be away from home for more then a day at a time. I know this limits my options quite a bit however that is what I am trying to work around.

Second main question I have is would it be possible for someone just out of their CPL to get a job at around $35000 a year? If not what kind of yearly salary would be expected? (I know it depends on hours and whatnot)

I suppose if I was to sum it up essentially I am asking if it is possible to earn a modest living flying out of the same city every day.

I appreciate all feedback/help in advance and sorry if I posted it to the wrong spot on the board!

Cheers
---------- ADS -----------

upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Career Question

Post by upintheair_ »

Sure, very feasible if you are OK with moving your family to say Winnipeg or Thunder Bay. You could fly a Navajo for a year or so then get on the 1900 or Metro for Wasaya, Bearskin, Perimeter, CMA, Pasco etc. and live a pretty comfortable life. You could also go fly a King Air rotation on medevacs and make decent coin.

27 is not too late to get back into it. I got my first job when I was 27. First job out of school with 250 hours expect about $10,000 less than that. I fly a Ho and fly out of the same town every day, home every night (so far).

You could try to get on with a place like Orca in Vancouver. Fly out of YVR or YYC (if that ends up happening) although the pay there is dismal. ]

JoeShmoe
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JoeShmoe »

Ahhh, its always nice to see some one peeking over the cliff instead of just running and jumping!

First of all it sounds like you have found yourself a keeper if your significant other is even letting you consider this.

Secondly it sounds like you already have a decent idea of what you are in for. It is definitely possible to make $30000 a year and be at home every night. It might not be your fastest way to a flying position, and you will most likely have to move, but it sounds like you have realistic expectations.

Peremeter springs to mind as a decent spot to start, but basically any ramp job will get you home every night and about $30000. I think you would have to rule out instructing though.

ThatArmyGuy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ThatArmyGuy »

Hey, definitely not too late. I started instructing at 27, first job last year at 28, just finished my ATPL requirements and I'm now 29. Sure I'm not a 21 year old, but meh.

It all boils down to your dedication to finish your licence/ratings, the level of sacrifice you're willing to make (pay, home location, schedule) and how receptive your family is to all of the above.

Best of luck.

JoeShmoe
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JoeShmoe »

Also because you have asked this question you have forfeited your right to come back on this forum in a year and complain about how much money you spent on your licence and how shocked you are about low salaries in aviation.

I dont make the rules.

172_Captain
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 172_Captain »

ThatArmyGuy wrote:I started instructing at 27, first job last year at 28
What do you mean real job? Are you implying that instructing is not a real job?

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

172_Captain wrote:

Real job?! Ha, according to the average public we aren't even real pilots! :lol:

upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by upintheair_ »

When people find out I fly a Navajo, they ask "So when are you going to be a commercial pilot?"

Minimums
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Minimums »

172_Captain wrote:
Yes, that is correct. Instructing is not a real job. Workiing at Walmart is a real job. Pay is about the same, the schedule is better as a greeter, no one tries to kill you on a daily basis, you get paid for every hour your are there, even get a sick days once or twice a year.

Instructors are people trying to be pilots, trying to take credit for other people's flying experience. That's like a jump seater trying to log multi pic heavy jet time, give me a break.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Minimums wrote:
172_Captain wrote: Instructors are people trying to be pilots, trying to take credit for other people's flying experience. That's like a jump seater trying to log multi pic heavy jet time, give me a break.
Sounds a bit like the Colonel.

Although, he is an instructor, but I guess he was born with a ABD in hand, and the silver spoon in mouth, etc...

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

upintheair_ wrote:When people find out I fly a Navajo, they ask "So when are you going to be a commercial pilot?"
For me the follow up question is usually: "So are you allowed to fly with passengers yet ?"

No, the planes always fly around empty !

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by upintheair_ »

Or "So what do you actually do? Do the planes fly themselves?"

No hon, it's a Navajo.

arctic_slim
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by arctic_slim »

Today someone actually said to me "So are you a real pilot or a first officer?" Made me question my entire career.

As for flying jobs, I would suggest looking around yellowknife as well. Depending on family of course, whether they are wiling to relocate with you, it could be tough to move everyone up there. There are companies up there where you an start on the ramp and get a flying spot within a year or two and work your way up from there. 33k-35k would be a normal wage up there for ramp/pilot in waiting. Look into Air Tindi, Summit Air and even North Wright if you are adventurous enough.

Its just one of the options out there. It's not an easy career to get into that's for sure.

MAP
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MAP »

Many of the companies mentioned for ramp work have pretty long wait times before the flight line.

The ones in Yellowknife are 1.5-2 years at least. There's places that'll train you within a year if you look hard.

Last edited by MAP on Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
blockheater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by blockheater »

If it's your dream and you are up for the challenges of aviation (and there are many)... go for it!

I completed my Comm/MIFR when I was 25 and change. Worked the office/ramp for 1.5 years, before getting my first seat at 27. Flew 703/704 for 6 years making anywhere between 22K-60K /yr. Every step forward usually meant some kind of paycut or a few steps back. I went through a company bankruptcy, flying outside of Canada (and the circus that comes with it), tough flying conditions taking seats wherever I could to keep flying (No training bonds). Made the leap of faith to my first 705 operator and right seat on a jet at 33. 8 years later scraping 42, I'm an established jet skipper and still enjoying every minute of it.

I had just over 300 hours to my name, when I landed my first flying job. 14 years and 10K TT later, I have no regrets (many sacrifices made along the way) It's a tough expedition to climb the mountain of aviation, plant your flag at the summit, and enjoy the view. Be aware, the trek will be nothing short of exhausting at times. If you and your family are truly dedicated to the journey, by all means follow your dream!

Take lots of pictures

Aero Guy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Aero Guy »

Don't forget, there is an employer who will pay for your training, pay you $58K while you're training, pay for a degree if required and gives you a pension to boot. I can't believe I waited until I was in my late 30's before enlisting, I should have signed up when I was 27:)

Return to “General Comments”