Headset Competition S1 VS Zulu PFX VS AV100 VS A20

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

WhiskeyWhiskey
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Headset Competition S1 VS Zulu PFX VS AV100 VS A20

Post by WhiskeyWhiskey »

I have used them all. Sennheisers S1 is by far the best.
---------- ADS -----------

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

i have to report back that I've been using the red Duracell super-whatever batteries that I bought in a large package at Costco and they seem to last significantly longer than regular AA batteries in my PFX. Maybe 12-14 hrs.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Holy crap! I better try those. I get about 8-10 hours on normal AA's in my PFX.

ZaSz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ZaSz »

Why can't they make a headset ANR that connects to a USB port on the airplane instead of having batteries? Would that be a problem?

I_Drive_Planes
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by I_Drive_Planes »

I've been thinking of trying a Quiet Technologies Halo. I had a weight lifting accident a few years ago and my neck has never been the same since. If I'm having a bad day, a full day of flying with the weight of a standard headset on my head will leave me with a stiff neck and headache for up to a couple days afterwards. The reviews of the Halo are very good (for those that can handle having something in their ears, anyway) and noise attenuation is about the same as an ANR headset at 1/3 the cost. I like the idea of being able to wear a hat or whatever sunglasses I want without interfering with the function of the headset. The only disadvantages I see are that bluetooth isn't available, and having to buy fresh ear tips (though they are cheaper than batteries for an ANR headset). The Halo also looks like it might be a little more fiddly to put on than a regular headset.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I wonder if that's compatible with custom hearing protection? I have some "DB Blockers" from Custom Protect Ear that are so comfortable I forget I'm wearing them. http://www.protectear.com/ They say there's an aviation application for them but I have trouble finding a headset specifically designed to fit them. They're around $150 for the mould that they do at your house.

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

PostmasterGeneral wrote:Holy crap! I better try those. I get about 8-10 hours on normal AA's in my PFX.
I was surprised. I keep bringing 4 AAs with me expecting the headset to die since it normally would have by now, but no beeps from the headset.
ZaSz wrote:Why can't they make a headset ANR that connects to a USB port on the airplane instead of having batteries? Would that be a problem?
They make headsets for newer airplanes that provide 12V on the tip of the audio plug, but that doesn't help out for older planes with older audio stacks.

I_Drive_Planes
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by I_Drive_Planes »

co-joe wrote:I wonder if that's compatible with custom hearing protection? I have some "DB Blockers" from Custom Protect Ear that are so comfortable I forget I'm wearing them. http://www.protectear.com/ They say there's an aviation application for them but I have trouble finding a headset specifically designed to fit them. They're around $150 for the mould that they do at your house.
I'd imagine they could work, but they aren't recommended. This is from the Quiet Technologies FAQ:
Do I need custom earmolds?

NO...Custom earmolds are not recommended for the following reasons...

They take time and effort to get
A FULL 30% of all earmolds leak somewhat. The noise spectrum that enters the ear canal with small leaks are the low frequencies...engine noise.
IF you get a good seal, that means it is pneumatic and cannot equalize pressure at various altitudes
they cost range from $80 to $200 / pair making the experiment an expensive one.
Stick with the foams if at all possible.
Clarity Aloft, another in ear headset maker has this to say about custom molds:
We do not recommend custom ear molds for a variety of reasons. The Comply®Canal Foam will supply 5 decibels better noise suppression than a custom ear mold. This foam acts like a self-sealing memory foam and will comply to the outer ear canal much better than a custom mold. The seal is maintained throughout the changing shape of the ear canal during head turning, yawning, chewing and swallowing, unlike a hard, custom ear mold. Use of a custom ear mold also voids the three year warranty.

Return to “General Comments”