PPL Pilot looking for a "Flying Buddy" to get solo CPL hours

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: PPL Pilot looking for a "Flying Buddy" to get solo CPL h

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

CAR's should be read literally and as a general statement care should be made about inferring a meaning that is not explicitly stated

So CAR 400.01 says

“solo flight time”
“solo flight time” means, with respect to the flight time necessary to acquire a permit, licence or rating,
(a) in the case of a pilot, the flight time during which the pilot is the sole flight crew member, and
(b) in the case of a student pilot permit holder, the flight time during which the holder is the sole occupant of an aircraft while under the direction and supervision of the holder of an instructor rating for the appropriate category of aircraft; (temps de vol en solo)

Unquote

Note it does not say "solo flight time" is flight time with no passengers or as the sole occupant of the aircraft in sub para (a) it says in the case of a pilot (ie someone with a pilots license) “solo flight time” is the flight time during which the pilot is the sole flight crew member,

However in para (b) the reg specifies "sole occupant". This is obviously because the student pilot does not have a license. If the intent of para (a) was that "solo flight" was meant to be as the sole occupant of the aircraft it would have said so, but it does not instead it specifies "sole flight crew member"

CAR 400.01 says "Flight crew member" is the defined as

“flight crew member” means a crew member assigned to act as pilot or flight engineer of an aircraft during flight time

I would suggest that if two pilots were flying together, say for the 300 nm X-Country, then one guy/gal could fly to a place 300 + nm away with the 2 intermediate stops and the other person could fly home as long as one was the designated the sole flight crew member on the way out and the other was designated the sole flight crew member for the return leg.

However the intent of the time building for the CPL is for the student to develop flight planning and decision making skills. Flying with an expert mentor pilot as a "passenger" can provide valuable insight and help when dealing with more demanding real world scenarios, but being alone in the plane and having to make those decisions without the comfort blanket of another pilot to help you out is an essential part of being a CPL.

My personal opinion is that you are short changing yourself if you do not build up a substantial part of the CPL PIC time yourself.
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Unfortunately the only thing that counts in this scenario is what the licensing officer at the relevant TC office has been told to enforce - what's written in the CARs is essentially entirely irrelevant. If I were the OP and I were in any doubt I would Debbie Fyke or Nitiya, at 4900 Yonge, and ask. Their answer about whether you have to be the sole occupant of the aircraft is the only one that counts.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

Big Pistons Forever wrote:CAR's should be read literally and as a general statement care should be made about inferring a meaning that is not explicitly stated

So CAR 400.01 says

“solo flight time”
“solo flight time” means, with respect to the flight time necessary to acquire a permit, licence or rating,
(a) in the case of a pilot, the flight time during which the pilot is the sole flight crew member, and
(b) in the case of a student pilot permit holder, the flight time during which the holder is the sole occupant of an aircraft while under the direction and supervision of the holder of an instructor rating for the appropriate category of aircraft; (temps de vol en solo)

Unquote

Note it does not say "solo flight time" is flight time with no passengers or as the sole occupant of the aircraft in sub para (a) it says in the case of a pilot (ie someone with a pilots license) “solo flight time” is the flight time during which the pilot is the sole flight crew member,

However in para (b) the reg specifies "sole occupant". This is obviously because the student pilot does not have a license. If the intent of para (a) was that "solo flight" was meant to be as the sole occupant of the aircraft it would have said so, but it does not instead it specifies "sole flight crew member"

CAR 400.01 says "Flight crew member" is the defined as

“flight crew member” means a crew member assigned to act as pilot or flight engineer of an aircraft during flight time

I would suggest that if two pilots were flying together, say for the 300 nm X-Country, then one guy/gal could fly to a place 300 + nm away with the 2 intermediate stops and the other person could fly home as long as one was the designated the sole flight crew member on the way out and the other was designated the sole flight crew member for the return leg.

However the intent of the time building for the CPL is for the student to develop flight planning and decision making skills. Flying with an expert mentor pilot as a "passenger" can provide valuable insight and help when dealing with more demanding real world scenarios, but being alone in the plane and having to make those decisions without the comfort blanket of another pilot to help you out is an essential part of being a CPL.

My personal opinion is that you are short changing yourself if you do not build up a substantial part of the CPL PIC time yourself.
+1

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

(To drift the thread a little) Why am I getting the sense that many nowadays read the 300NM requirement as being 301NM, and that's it, box checked, on to the next thing? This is one of my personal peeves ( and to an extent, regrets.) The 300 NM xc is the only time in your career as a professional pilot that you'll have an aeroplane at your disposal, with no-one telling you where to take it, and when. Use that freedom to enjoy flying - go to Oshkosh; fly to New York to watch Montreal play the Rangers; go to Canada Day in Ottawa, and so on....

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rookie50 »

North Shore wrote:(To drift the thread a little) Why am I getting the sense that many nowadays read the 300NM requirement as being 301NM, and that's it, box checked, on to the next thing? This is one of my personal peeves ( and to an extent, regrets.) The 300 NM xc is the only time in your career as a professional pilot that you'll have an aeroplane at your disposal, with no-one telling you where to take it, and when. Use that freedom to enjoy flying - go to Oshkosh; fly to New York to watch Montreal play the Rangers; go to Canada Day in Ottawa, and so on....
+1. CPL's around here fly to St Hubert, outside Montreal, I imagine with a stop in Kingston and maybe Cornwall. Think from the school I did mine...303 NM. No offense, but following the 401, a horribly boring route it's hard to stay awake flying (or driving for that matter)

Go to the states, or North along superior -- wawa or farther.

I don't know about this no pax business, but if you can, take 2 other pilots and go a lot farther, at least to New York -- you will learn lots, and fly down the Hudson corridor -- cool, yes -- or all the way to North Carolina, somewhere on the ocean. I could, so I flew all the way out west -- New Mexico and the Grand Canyon. Learned a ton.

Tylerjohnston
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Tylerjohnston »

Hey Che,

Shoot me a message, Id be interested in something like that if you need someone to tag along with yeah for the time building.
I got my Commercial Group 1, Im about 30 minutes from CYKZ.

Tyler

C-GKNT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by C-GKNT »

North Shore wrote:(To drift the thread a little) Why am I getting the sense that many nowadays read the 300NM requirement as being 301NM, and that's it, box checked, on to the next thing? This is one of my personal peeves ( and to an extent, regrets.) The 300 NM xc is the only time in your career as a professional pilot that you'll have an aeroplane at your disposal, with no-one telling you where to take it, and when. Use that freedom to enjoy flying - go to Oshkosh; fly to New York to watch Montreal play the Rangers; go to Canada Day in Ottawa, and so on....
Leaving the airport back in August, I noticed a DA40 from the Waterloo Wellington Flight Centre taxi up to the fuel tank (here Red Deer, AB). Curious, I stopped and found 2 young pilots time building for their CPL's. They were trying to get into Calgary Springbank but had to divert due to the smoke from the fires in the U.S. They were on their way to Alaska...I was VERY impressed.

I don't impress easily...So, I put their plane in my hangar, took them home, fed them and then found them a hotel. The next day before they left I gave them a ride in my Bell 47. Very nice kids, gives me hope for the future of aviation.

Glenn

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Don't flight schools have to have their 300nm route approved by TC? If memory serves, I had to fly YBW to YXE. No choice in the matter. Or is that just colleges taking the fun out of stuff?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Only the set XC routes for the PPL need approval.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Only PPL, unless you are dealing with an Integrated CLP/ATPL program, in which case TC gets extra anal retentive.

upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by upintheair_ »

co-joe wrote:
Don't flight schools have to have their 300nm route approved by TC? If memory serves, I had to fly YBW to YXE. No choice in the matter. Or is that just colleges taking the fun out of stuff?
That is only for the PPL. CPL so long as you are signed off by your FI with all the proper planning done, you're good to go.

JungleMonkey
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JungleMonkey »

ahramin wrote:Glad I squeaked in before this became an issue. I had 4 passengers on my 300 nm trip :oops:.
Was it a 3 passenger airplane ?? :rolleyes:

Return to “General Comments”