federal vote 2015

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

who will you vote for

Poll ended at Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:18 pm

PC
43%
Liberal
29%
NDP
13%
Green
6%
Other
2%
Will not vote
7%

Total votes: 190

Wacko
Rank 8
Rank 8

federal vote 2015

Post by Wacko »

Ok. So let's see if we represent the majority of Canadians.
This poll is open for 2 days.
Please don't post comments. I don't want it locked. Let's just see if we come close to the results.
I am NOT going to be the first vote ;)

Oh, and if you're not going to vote... Chose that... We'll see how that compares to voter turnout.
---------- ADS -----------

Every war when it comes, or before it comes, is represented not as a war but as an act of self-defense against a homicidal maniac. George Orwell
Disclaimer: The above post was not meant to offend anyone.
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: federal vote 2015

Post by North Shore »

Good idea, I'd be interested in the results here, also...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
springlocked
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by springlocked »

missing one option -- spoil ballot -- better than not voting if one chooses to protest

Wacko
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Wacko »

Yeah, I thought about that as well and forgot to put it in last night. Don't want to change the options now though.

Every war when it comes, or before it comes, is represented not as a war but as an act of self-defense against a homicidal maniac. George Orwell
Disclaimer: The above post was not meant to offend anyone.
Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

I chose "will not vote" because I legally cannot vote. The 3 others (at the time) what's your excuse?
Unless you are dead there is no reason not to vote.

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by upintheair_ »

What is PC? Are you mistaking the Progressive Conservatives of old with the current Reform Cons party? If you can I'd change it to CPC. PC no longer exists.

TallCan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TallCan »

I am not sure that the spoil ballot or blank vote actually counts in a Canadian federal election.

Beer is the Answer! But I can't remember the question.
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

From an aviation standpoint I have no idea who represents the pilot community better. Is COPA suggesting a side to be on or is there a candidate who favours aerodromes, and aeroplanes or lowering fuel taxes? How about military aviation wise? Is one or the other of them actually ever going to replace the Hornet?

Not looking to start something, just curious if any of the candidates are actually pro anything related to aviation?

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

co-joe wrote:From an aviation standpoint I have no idea who represents the pilot community better. Is COPA suggesting a side to be on or is there a candidate who favours aerodromes, and aeroplanes or lowering fuel taxes? How about military aviation wise? Is one or the other of them actually ever going to replace the Hornet?

Not looking to start something, just curious if any of the candidates are actually pro anything related to aviation?
I think the Wynne Liberals in Ontario make it pretty clear of where their party lines are regarding aviation with the new aviation fuel tax.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

upintheair_ wrote:What is PC? Are you mistaking the Progressive Conservatives of old with the current Reform Cons party? If you can I'd change it to CPC. PC no longer exists.
That's right. The Progressive Conservatives merged with the Reform/Alliance Party in 2003 to become the Conservative Party of Canada, which is nothing like the PC party of old.

Last edited by Rockie on Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by upintheair_ »

Yeah and the CPC is still riding along on a lot of old timer voters who grew up voting for an actual progressive conservative party. Many vote blindly because of the colors, thinking the merged party is still the same...... I personally want a fiscally conservative government that is socially progressive and environmentally friendly. In the past I voted CPC believing the promises but not this election. Hopefully it will allow Harper to leave and be replaced by someone new who can point them back into the progressive direction. However, Harper has more or less gutted his party so at this point who knows if there is even anyone qualified to take the reigns.

IIRC when Harper was part of the Reform Party, he helped write the manifesto. Look it up if you have time..

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

co-joe wrote:
That's something I've been looking into in the last while and unlike the United States, there are no political candidates in this country (federal or provincial) for any major party who could be considered "pro aviation". There are a few who are definitely anti-aviation in some factor or another be it stances on fuel taxes, land usage or any other direct or tangentially related issues.

Very unfortunate, but I guess aviation in this country is a negative topic when it comes to voters by large, rather than a positive one. Again, unlike south of the border. It sure would be nice if COPA took the stance like AOPA does and outlines who's for and against regularly so one can vote accordingly.

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Nark wrote: Unless you are dead there is no reason not to vote.
I'm not planning to vote. The reason is that all the parties are wildly unacceptable for a variety of reasons, and I can't really figure out who is the least bad.

As for aviation: the Green party lobbied to close Banff because flying is for "a few rich people" (never mind the trans canada highway right next to it with big shiny trucks that all cost more than most of the planes I fly). NDP are bowing to nimbys to block jets from Toronto Island, even though a 737 is quieter than a Cherokee (but perhaps we shouldn't tell them that).

Oh, and apparently pot is infinitely worse than tobacco. I guess nobody in BC is voting PC.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

I've idly wondered, sometimes, about changing my name to 'ZNoneoftheabove' ( thus guaranteeing last place on the ballot) and running in an election, just to see if the protest votes, etc.. amounted to any significant numbers...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

This applies to at least 2 of the major party leaders...you decide which ones.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Personally I'll vote for anybody who still respects our parliamentary democracy, the Constitution, and the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Rockie wrote:Personally I'll vote for anybody who still respects our parliamentary democracy, the Constitution, and the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
So you are abstaining?

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Nope.

I'll amend that and say that whatever party wins - watch them. Pay attention between elections and decide if that party is leading this country in the the direction you want.

Last edited by Rockie on Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

So then you are lying to us!

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »