Porter CSeries/Airport Expansion

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Porter CSeries/Airport Expansion

Post by Gino Under »

CID

I’m not trying to mislead anyone with my comments. At least that’s not my intention. This is supposed to be about the C series. But since we seem to be headed off in a totally different direction...

FAA regulations certainly DON’T apply in Canada, but I’ll try to give you my understanding of CFR 14 (I’m not a lawyer, nor am I an expert, and I certainly stand to be corrected, but I’ll give it a shot). CFR 14 contains pretty much all the air transportation FARs and is a compilation of Federal Regulations authored by the United States Government, and enforceable in the U.S., NOT in Canada. Regulations found in CFR 14 apply to domestic and foreign N-registered aircraft.
my apology in advance if that sounds like I'm trying to teach you how to suck eggs

“Many aircraft include FAA CFRs as part of their certification basis.”
If you mean Transport Canada regulations closely mirror the FARs, then yes, I agree there are numerous similarities between the two but separate certification processes. The same applies to the Australians, Europeans, Japanese, Chinese, you name whatever Sovereign State you like. The FAA regulations don’t apply in those countries either. But in many cases, I think you’re saying those states either accept or mirror the FARs.

FAA ADs don’t apply outside the U.S. either except for N-registered aircraft. Unless Transport Canada accept and issue their own AD to match the FAA AD. Without that, I don’t think anyone here is obliged to comply. I’m not saying it would be smart to not comply, but even the non-compliant C-registered aircraft flying from Toronto to Dallas falls under the CARs not the FARs.

As I said, FAA ACs are advisory and don’t carry much weight outside the U.S. unless you’re flying an N-registered aircraft with an FAA certificate, but the same process ( I believe ) is in play in Canada. That is, if TC agree with the content of an FAA AC, then they will likely issue a similar AC for Canadians.

The C series will undergo FAA, Transport Canada and EASA certification very shortly. Each state will issue their own type certificate for the aircraft based on their own regulations which may closely resemble FAR 25 requirements anyway. I’m sure the FAA will certify it under the FARs, not the CARs and anyone flying an N-registered C series will have to comply with CFR 14, FARs, ADs, and ACs.

If that’s your point, we’re having an agreement.

“Furthermore, US operators that enter foreign airspace are still obligated to follow the applicable FAA rules as well as the applicable foreign rules.”
Yes, I know that. Again, N-registered aircraft.

“If you meant to state that FAA issued ADs against aircraft manufactured outside the US and not ever operating in the US, then you are (partially) correct. An AD issued by the FAA on a domestic aeronautical product DOES apply in Canada.”
Again, only if it’s N-registered. What about an N-registered A330, DH8, or EMB70.

“Nope nope. FAA Advisory Circulars are accepted by TCCA as acceptable means to establish compliance with the related standards.”
Therefore, TC will likely issue a similar AC to Canadians. Not the FAA.

“When aircraft are type certified in foreign countries these days, there is often a corresponding foreign AFM. Each country can place whatever requirements they like as conditions of type certification. There is no obligation on the part of the state of origin to follow suit unless that foreign country places specific restrictions on foreign operators and includes it (in the case of the US) in CFR 129.”
I'm not sure about the CFR 129 part, but I think CFR 129 pertains more to bilateral agreements between nations covering such things as the foreign carrier or operator leasing N-registered aircraft internationally (Saudia for example), but that’s semantics.

great conversation btw,
Gino Under :drinkers:
---------- ADS -----------

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Gino

Landing distance is not a certification requirement so I don't see why we're talking about it. Bombardier seeks to be a player in the transport category aircraft market and as such will comply with the revised and much more realistic methodology for calculating landing distance. Failing to do so would be foolish if they wish to sell airplanes in the US or Europe.

Compare it if you want to the TCAS issue - for many years TC did not make TCAS mandatory but if a Canadian operator wanted to fly in the US guess what? They had to get TCAS. Same applied to every other country's aircraft.

A few years ago all the major manufacturers got together and jointly changed their stall recovery procedures in the interest of safety.

Airbus and Boeing have jointly published a comprehensive paper on jet upset in the mutual interest of safety.

This initiative is also about safety. Bombardier could be the outlier and refuse to upgrade their calculations along with everybody else (assuming TC doesn't also make it a requirement but I wouldn't take that bet) but what is it you think they would gain by doing that? It wouldn't help them sell airplanes because anybody looking to buy them would know the suddenly much improved landing distance over the competition is a false advantage owed to the unequal methodology of calculating it.

WRT to TC/FAA autonomy, TC has long made a habit of letting the FAA do the work and setting the standard. Read the "referenced documents" section of most TC Advisory Circulars and you will find direct references to FAA AC's and TSO's. Anything to do with ADS-B and in particular PBN/RNP/RNAV the US is setting the standard that Canada will end up adopting - guaranteed.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Is it fair to question the C Series viability in the commercial airplane production business when they(Bombardier) are up against heavy weights such as Boeing and Airbus. Seems this project(CS) has been quite a drain on that company's resources to the point that taxpayers are again being asked. It will certainly be interesting to see what the Trudeau Government plans. Methinks there will be some sort of infusion but not in the 1B range..............

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

Rockie
Rest assured Bombardier know how to certify an aeroplane under the FARs.

"Bombardier will have to redo their performance numbers as well to comply with the new standard. This is a big deal that makes Deluce's runway plans obsolete."

My initial thought was, whaaat? A "big deal"? I don't think so. FAR 25.125 hasn't changed or been modified AFAIK. Dry landing distances will always be the starting point according to the present regulations and almost all regulatory agencies copy FAR 25 to certify an aircraft type. I'm sure Bombardier will certify the C series under FAR 25 for FAA type certification, so the numbers will be just as good for Chicago Midway as they will likely be for CYTZ. And, UFN the CRFI applies in Canada.

"Manufacturers, operators and regulators were all part of this rule making and it is the new standard. I suppose BBD doesn't have to comply, but if they want to sell airplanes in the US they will have to. Unless of course you think they'll have one set of performance numbers for the US and another for Toronto Island?"

I can't imagine why Bombardier wouldn't have one set of numbers for all regulatory agencies.
My attempt at using regulations as an example (under whatever national authority we might imagine), doesn't matter. My attempt to make a point obviously didn't work. Okay. History.

To put it another way, yes, a foreign operator flying within the U.S. must be aware of subtle regulatory differences between their own regs and the FAAs. To simplify one of the points I'm trying to make should be fairly simple. Bombardier doesn't need to re-do any landing distance figures. I should think, YOU, as the pilot, simply need to know the landing distance factor to apply to those published numbers when landing on a contaminated runway whether it's the CRFI or TALPA derived factor you need to apply.

"WRT to TC/FAA autonomy, TC has long made a habit of letting the FAA do the work and setting the standard. Read the "referenced documents" section of most TC Advisory Circulars and you will find direct references to FAA AC's and TSO's. Anything to do with ADS-B and in particular PBN/RNP/RNAV the US is setting the standard that Canada will end up adopting - guaranteed."

Exactly the point I was trying to make.

I hope that's a little clearer?

"Landing distance is not a certification requirement so I don't see why we're talking about it."

Read FAR 25.125 to understand why we're talking about it.

"Airbus and Boeing have jointly published a comprehensive paper on jet upset in the mutual interest of safety."

Yes they have. The FAA have also regulated LOC-I training into airline pilot training and NO ONE stood up in protest. Bad for business?
UPRT should be a licensing requirement at the PPL or CPL level and not at the airline pilot level. The ones pushing the hardest for it are the FAA, the LOC-UPRT-ARC, the training providers, and retired experts sitting on some of these obscure safety committees who think this is the revelation. EASA have eased up on the gas as far as mandating it.
How many aircraft has Air Canada lost due to LOC?
How many have BA lost due to LOC?
How many have ___ lost due to LOC? (You fill in the blank)
But the FAA have written it into law because someone somewhere says LOC accidents are the major cause of an increase in the number of GA accidents. That's right. General aviation. Research airline accidents for LOC as the major cause of an airline accident and you have to play with statistics to prove your point. Maybe we start with the Air France Concorde. How would mandated LOC training have helped that crew? LOC was a contributing factor. Not the cause.

Personally, I think UPRT is a great idea. Do we need it as a regulated safety requirement? Probably not. Proactive safety is always a great idea. If you want to undertake the expense of the training to the tune of approximately $6000 a head, great. When you start reading some of the airline accident reports you begin to see the figures to support it under mandated regulation somehow don't quite add up.

I'll leave it to you to form your own opinion on it.

Safe flight.
Gino

CID
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CID »

Gino, I'm not the one sucking eggs...or a bong. Sorry but almost everything you wrote in your last post was wrong. Have you ever looked at a type certificate data sheet?

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/saf-sec-sur/2/n ... x?lang=eng

Browse through that site and you will find very quickly that there are a great many aircraft type certified in Canada under a certification basis that is not "Canadian".

Another false statement that is easy to correct you on is the use of foreign ADs.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/ ... 56-552.htm

And then there are FAA Advisory Circulars:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/r ... tm#571s_06

I could go on and on but I'd be here all night. Just be a little careful about posting about stuff you obviously have little knowledge and experience about.

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

Rockie and CID

You guys are right. Looks like I'm fulla crap. Not the first time and likely not the last.
Thanks for the references. They're appreciated.
I accept the need for more reading. There's always something more a person can learn anyway.
Even me.

Speaking with an acquaintance at BBD I've also learned that yes, the FAA has a new matrix for landing distances they will have to publish for their C series. More reading I'll have to do. Maybe it will affect runway length at CYTZ?
So, it's been a great week for learning new stuff.

Gotta go wipe some egg off my face. :rolleyes:

Cheers,
:partyman:
Gino

Cod Father
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Cod Father »

MartinB wrote:
Rockie wrote:. I wonder though, since Porter has already stepped pretty far outside their original business plan what's preventing them from setting up in Pearson with both the Q and C Series?
If they get stuck with the jets, maybe what they could do is keep the Q's at YTZ and operate the jets from Pearson and get a deal going where connecting pax get a free UPX ride. That or they could operate their own buses there.
That could work.

Cod Father
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Cod Father »

DropTanks wrote:
sanjet wrote:I don't think Adam Vaughan has even consulted with his leaders before speaking like that, a bit premature in my opinion.
Day 2 and he's speaking on behalf of the entire liberal government regarding this issue which is a few hundred million dollars worth in terms of jobs and economics. Easy there Adam...
Naw he said in an interview that Trudeau committed to him to keep the tripartite agreement closed. Jets at YTZ is not gonna happen.
Trudeau also said he is going to run a true cabinet government, which means he is but one vote at the cabinet table. All you need is 16 cabinet Ministers on side.

Ypilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ypilot »

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Well, Chris Russell sure seems annoyed...

Ypilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ypilot »

Rockie wrote:Well, Chris Russell sure seems annoyed...

Looool

Hozer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hozer »

Rockie wrote:Well, Chris Russell sure seems annoyed...

:lol: :prayer: , Very Funny Rockie. Most of the stuff on this site is garbage, but that made my day. I can't believe I just wasted 10mins reading all of Chris Russell's tweets.

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

Thanks to the Liberals it appears to be dead in the water......http://business.financialpost.com/news/ ... ty-airport

Interesting note at the end of the article about Porter considering jet service out West.
The above linked article wrote:In an interview earlier this week, Porter CEO Robert Deluce said the company “will remain viable, with or without jets.”

The airline has examined the possibility of operating out of other hubs besides Billy Bishop, including airports in Western Canada.

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

5x5 wrote:Interesting note at the end of the article about Porter considering jet service out West.
Once upon a time Regco's business planned hinged on building a bridge and they couldn't do it without one. Turned out they could. Now it seems getting the C-Series might not hinge on extending the runway distance either. Funny that....

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Rockie wrote:
5x5 wrote:Interesting note at the end of the article about Porter considering jet service out West.
Once upon a time Regco's business planned hinged on building a bridge and they couldn't do it without one. Turned out they could. Now it seems getting the C-Series might not hinge on extending the runway distance either. Funny that....
Would it be realistic to suggest if this YTZ extension did proceed and thus permitting Cs operations, the the lobby would be on for Corporate and charter jet inclusion. It would be intense no doubt and the dynamic of Toronto Island would be greatly changed with the influx of additional traffic.

skymarc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by skymarc »

Were would you park all these corporate jets at CYTZ? The ramp is already crowded.

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

skymarc wrote:Were would you park all these corporate jets at CYTZ? The ramp is already crowded.
Could they potentially build more space on the south side of 06?

AirMail
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by AirMail »

skymarc wrote:Were would you park all these corporate jets at CYTZ? The ramp is already crowded.
According to Vaughn all of lake Ontario will be paved over if expansion were to go ahead. Sounds like lots of parking room available in that case...again according to Vaughn

Giggidy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Giggidy »

Maybe I don't know enough about this, but here's my take.

Isn't the Federal Government's involvement in the Tripartite agreement due to the Fed's (i.e. Transport Canada) oversight of all things aviation? As such, isn't their role tied to Transport Canada's role of ensuring aviation safety?

If that's the case, how exactly is "We're not going to re-open the Tripartite agreement because we say so" an appropriate statement from a body who's responsibility is to ensure Aviation Safety?

I'd accept safety or regulatory-related reason to say No, but refusing to even look at it??

Also, when did Twitter become an official channel for Government communications or official decisions? Maybe I haven't been in Canada long enough.

Something smells funny.

Giggidy

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Garneau was speaking as a cabinet minister on behalf of the government, TC as an entity has nothing to do with it. The Port Authority is an "independent" federal agency leasing land whereas the federal government and city are the actual land owners, hence the tripartite agreement. In reality though the federal government will defer to the city, and the Port Authority will defer to both of the other two.

Return to “General Comments”