Porter CSeries/Airport Expansion

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

MartinB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Porter CSeries/Airport Expansion

Post by MartinB »

Well I guess that's it unless Deluce has a few more tricks up his sleeve. I'm disappointed. I was looking forward to eventually drinking free Steam Whistle on my way home to Calgary...

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2 ... ughan.html
---------- ADS -----------

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Porter CSeries/Airport Expansion

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Until a suitable "favour" is done for Trudeau and the Libs. Transparency....riiiight!

sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

I don't think Adam Vaughan has even consulted with his leaders before speaking like that, a bit premature in my opinion.
Day 2 and he's speaking on behalf of the entire liberal government regarding this issue which is a few hundred million dollars worth in terms of jobs and economics. Easy there Adam...

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

sanjet wrote:I don't think Adam Vaughan has even consulted with his leaders before speaking like that, a bit premature in my opinion.
Quote from the article:

"Vaughan, who was chair of the Liberal GTA caucus before the election, said Trudeau signed off on his platform that included no island airport expansion."

If Vaughan is telling the truth it doesn't look good for Porter, if not he'll have some explaining to do I suspect. I wonder though, since Porter has already stepped pretty far outside their original business plan what's preventing them from setting up in Pearson with both the Q and C Series?

MartinB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MartinB »

Rockie wrote:. I wonder though, since Porter has already stepped pretty far outside their original business plan what's preventing them from setting up in Pearson with both the Q and C Series?
If they get stuck with the jets, maybe what they could do is keep the Q's at YTZ and operate the jets from Pearson and get a deal going where connecting pax get a free UPX ride. That or they could operate their own buses there.

DropTanks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by DropTanks »

sanjet wrote:I don't think Adam Vaughan has even consulted with his leaders before speaking like that, a bit premature in my opinion.
Day 2 and he's speaking on behalf of the entire liberal government regarding this issue which is a few hundred million dollars worth in terms of jobs and economics. Easy there Adam...
Naw he said in an interview that Trudeau committed to him to keep the tripartite agreement closed. Jets at YTZ is not gonna happen.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Of course, no politician ever, ever, in history, broke a pre-election promise once they'd reached office, did they?

Do you think we can get Vaughan to resign if Trudeau reverses himself? I do hope so.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

photofly wrote:Of course, no politician ever, ever, in history, broke a pre-election promise once they'd reached office, did they?

Do you think we can get Vaughan to resign if Trudeau reverses himself? I do hope so.
Have you bothered to look at the electoral map of Toronto since the election? I see no reason Deluce couldn't still get the jets and fly them out of Pearson, but continuing the ban at YTZ is a slam dunk especially since the city has to approve as well and it's the same voters.

BD-700
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BD-700 »

First of all, Porter is not going to get stuck with the C-Series and no where to operate them. They're order was conditional on the runway expansion and being able to operate them out of CYTZ.

Personally, if they really want to get into the jet market I think they should operate them out of CYYZ and pay the same enormous costs every other operator of comparable aircraft does. That being said, they'd loose their shirts and be broke within a year if they did that so they're certainly not going to go the Pearson route.

Also to then people think they're going to operate the jets out of CYOW.. same problem. AC and WJ will undercut them for years to come until Porter is added to the ranks of Air Ontario, Canada 3000, etc.

I may sound a little harsh but the truth usually is. Porter should stick to their Q operation at the island, stop buying airplanes, and try to make a profit with what they have. Nothing wrong with being a successful regional carrier and keeping all their good folks gainfully employed.

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

When have jobs, money or good economic policy ever effected political decisions :lol:

https://eresonatemedia.com/
https://bambaits.ca/
https://youtube.com/channel/UCWit8N8YCJSvSaiSw5EWWeQ
bizjets101
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by bizjets101 »

I've always been under the impression Deluce's long term goal is to sell Porter to the highest bidder - right now he is just adding value and building his brand.

Trudeau publicly has never stated his support or non support for expansion - anything Vaughan stated I'd take with a huge grain of salt.

Considering Bombardier's finances, and if the Quebec Govt gets involved with further investment - the pressure from QC Liberals to conclude the Porter deal will supersede any Adam Vaughan interests.

Don't even think Trudeau and Vaughan are close - Trudeau is far more left than Vaughan every will be .... I'd say odds of expansion are in favour of Porter.

Trudeau strikes me as a fun kinda guy, and Vaughan the kinda guy who would tell on you for having fun.

Tripartite Agreement for anyone unfamiliar with the agreement - I personally think the city of Toronto would vote in favour of expansion, if they didn't - the Federal Govt. ie' Trudeau - can pull rank and do the deal anyway.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

bizjets101 wrote:Tripartite Agreement for anyone unfamiliar with the agreement - I personally think the city of Toronto would vote in favour of expansion, if they didn't - the Federal Govt. ie' Trudeau - can pull rank and do the deal anyway.
It's a Tripartite agreement, that means all three parties must agree before any changes are made. Should the Liberals pull rank and do a deal over the objections of the city they would not only be breaking a legal contract, but they would kiss goodbye to all those red Toronto ridings. If anything the federal government would follow the city's lead, but any change would still require three signatures.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

An act of Parliament dissolving the Port Authority goes a long way...

No more tripartite sh*t. Only two ridings are against. Everyone else in Toronto would like it.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

I don't know how enacting legislation eliminating the TPA would help forward the case for jets on the island. In reality they have no real say themselves, and politically the federal government will take its lead from the city. Do you remember a guy named David Miller?

AirMail
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by AirMail »

Rockie wrote:I don't know how enacting legislation eliminating the TPA would help forward the case for jets on the island. In reality they have no real say themselves, and politically the federal government will take its lead from the city. Do you remember a guy named David Miller?
It would also make more sense for the feds to push through on Pickering airport. What is the latest on that anyways?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Rockie wrote:I don't know how enacting legislation eliminating the TPA would help forward the case for jets on the island. In reality they have no real say themselves, and politically the federal government will take its lead from the city. Do you remember a guy named David Miller?
I'll spell it out.

It's federal land. If the Federal Government really wants to push through jets over the head of the city council, they can dissolve the Port Authority and take the airport back under direct federal control. Goodbye tripartite agreement. Then they can permit whatever they want.

I don't think that's really on the cards, but don't anyone pretend the tripartite agreement stops a government getting its own way.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

It's not all federal land. The city owns a large chunk if not a majority of it, and leases a portion to the TPA (Schedule "A" of the Tripartite agreement). Plus even if that weren't true (which it is) ignoring the wishes of the city would be very politically foolish for a Liberal government that just painted that city's electoral map red.

Good thing you're not making the decisions.

Moose47
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Moose47 »

G'day

There is a good reason why they call him Adumb Vaughn.

Cheers...Chris

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Moose47 wrote:G'day

There is a good reason why they call him Adumb Vaughn.

Cheers...Chris
He's not one of my favourite people either, but he's not dumb. Reality has nothing to do with personal bias.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

I would think the new Trudeau government has more on it's plate with items of much higher priority than jet aircraft operating out of the Toronto Island airport, let alone getting involved in any shape or form. It ain't that important to them so let the City of Toronto deal with it.

Return to “General Comments”