Getting to 10k VFR from CZBB

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

chris917
Rank 0
Rank 0

Getting to 10k VFR from CZBB

Post by chris917 »

I have a question for any Vancouver Terminal/Center controllers on the forum. I'm based out of ZBB and am wondering the best way to get up to around 10k for VFR flights eastbound into the interior. Is this something that can be granted close to ZBB or do I generally need to be further east to get this clearance? Or is it something that isn't usually granted, in which case I'd have to be out around Hope before getting up to altitude? Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Getting to 10k VFR from CZBB

Post by 7ECA »

Why not just skirt under terminal from CZBB Eastbound, then as the floor of Terminal rises as you get further East keep climbing.

Generally you can get into Terminal Eastbound around CYNJ without problem, of course it is Winter, so expect Class C restrictions... :roll:

Randyb99
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Randyb99 »

Call terminal as soon as released from ZBB and they will usually slowly let you up as you go east. Been up to 11 500 by YCW many times VFR. Depends on time of day and YVR arrival direction.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Last week I was cleared to 7500' on first contact (over King George). It all depends on what runways are in use.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

+1 for staying under the wedding cake. If your plane climbs fast, no big deal to do it east of YXX. If it climbs slow, you probably don't need to worry about terminal airspace. You also don't need 10K to make the interior.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

7ECA wrote:
Generally you can get into Terminal Eastbound around CYNJ without problem, of course it is Winter, so expect Class C restrictions... :roll:
Yup, Never a problem with Class C restrictions, unless it is winter, ........or summer...........or spring........or fall :roll:

tipsails
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tipsails »

chris917 wrote:I have a question for any Vancouver Terminal/Center controllers on the forum. I'm based out of ZBB and am wondering the best way to get up to around 10k for VFR flights eastbound into the interior. Is this something that can be granted close to ZBB or do I generally need to be further east to get this clearance? Or is it something that isn't usually granted, in which case I'd have to be out around Hope before getting up to altitude? Thanks.
You can just talk to terminal and they will be accomidating. They might only clear you to 4500' or so until you're past Langley/Abby. Also if the 26's are active you might not get the clearance at all. In that case just fly east towards the Fraser River/Mission and step it up as you get out of the area. It's pretty easy to do completely uncontrolled if you like.

Old Dog Flying
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Old Dog Flying »

Add to the above..

Or weekends. Even checking NOTAMS may not be good enough at shift change.

chris917
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chris917 »

Thanks everyone. Previously when I've headed out east I skirted under the terminal airspace but will try giving them a call just outside of ZBB. I'm in a Cherokee so not exactly climbing like a rocket :wink:.

16SidedOffice
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 16SidedOffice »

Keep in mind the active runways at YVR at the same time. With the 26's active, overhead and immediately east of ZBB is very busy IFR descent corridor, when on the 08's that area becomes an often equally busy IFR climb corridor. Staying a bit to the south underneath the YYJ Terminal airspace and calling them for a climb into the higher Class C might assist is getting you what you are looking for. It's very dynamic depending on the traffic situation.

Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rookie50 »

Not to beat a dead horse, but why the (my understanding ) refusal to provide FF outside of the class C? Wouldn't that be a contributor to safety? I'm in the GTA, and it's a automatic given, here. I know of the staff issue, that ever going to be fixed?

Driving Comet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Driving Comet »

Rookie50 wrote:16,

Not to beat a dead horse, but why the (my understanding ) refusal to provide FF outside of the class C? Wouldn't that be a contributor to safety? I'm in the GTA, and it's a automatic given, here. I know of the staff issue, that ever going to be fixed?
The flight following that you speak of is provided workload permitting. As for the comments on staffing being fixed... :lol: :roll:

16SidedOffice
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 16SidedOffice »

I see VFR's in the Terminal Class C everyday that weather allows around YVR. I've read posts here as well from the GTA area concerning the same thing. If you call for a clearance into a climb or arrival corridor that you would be held down or denied as well. That being said, they also have much more usable airspace with the only obstacles being pretty low to the ground and made of glass and steel.

FF outside of Class C around the Lower Mainland can be denied for various reasons, I don't work in the TCU (underneath it) but I'm sure radar coverage plays a good part as well as workload. In the 12 years I did spend in the Center I never heard of FF being denied while operating within radar coverage and within appropriate airspace.

Staffing wise, it is getting better. They might even be in a slightly better spot at some point next year, we'll have to wait and see.

Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rookie50 »

FF is always given here, if they can see you. I think unlike YVR they prefer we call up, then it makes their job easier to mix the VFR's with the low level inbound IFR's (I fly under both rules). I don't care if I'm not admitted here to the class C, that's expected, but the advisories are valuable.

I imagine must be staff there because traffic there is no comparison from what I've seen, although perhaps it's far more spread out. I was reminded how compressed it is when I flew there, from YPK to North to Bowen seemed to take just a few minutes. One forgets how squished it is there.

I'm at the far west end of the GTA cake just before it rises to the west (ZBA) and it takes a good 20+ minutes to the other end (YOO) at 145.

New_PIC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by New_PIC »

tipsails wrote: ... you might not get the clearance at all. In that case just fly east towards the Fraser River/Mission and step it up as you get out of the area. It's pretty easy to do completely uncontrolled if you like.
That's how I brought a new-to-me C172 from ZBB to Alberta last December. 9500 seemed like plenty of height on the VFR route east.

LousyFisherman
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LousyFisherman »

New_PIC wrote:
tipsails wrote: ... you might not get the clearance at all. In that case just fly east towards the Fraser River/Mission and step it up as you get out of the area. It's pretty easy to do completely uncontrolled if you like.
That's how I brought a new-to-me C172 from ZBB to Alberta last December. 9500 seemed like plenty of height on the VFR route east.
7500 feet gives you 2000 feet clearance all the way to Calgary.
9500 feet, the dreaded 150 might never make it unless there is a convenient updraft

LF

Women and planes have alot in common
Both are expensive, loud, and noisy.
However, when handled properly both respond well and provide great pleasure
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Having flown a Cessna 150 from Langley to Oliver without getting anywhere near 10000', I can confidently say you don't need to speak to terminal at all to get to the interior. The trainers don't out-climb the wedding cake all that efficiently... there's no point in "shooting" up at 70mph and 500 fpm (maybe) to try for 10000' by the time you hit Langley. Drop the nose, climb slowly at cruise speeds, and head east. You'll be at plenty high enough at Hope and easily high enough to clear the mountains with the right route.

chris917
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chris917 »

AirFrame wrote:Having flown a Cessna 150 from Langley to Oliver without getting anywhere near 10000', I can confidently say you don't need to speak to terminal at all to get to the interior. The trainers don't out-climb the wedding cake all that efficiently... there's no point in "shooting" up at 70mph and 500 fpm (maybe) to try for 10000' by the time you hit Langley. Drop the nose, climb slowly at cruise speeds, and head east. You'll be at plenty high enough at Hope and easily high enough to clear the mountains with the right route.
Part of my desire to get up into terminal is to avoid the very congested areas between CZBB and Hope. The last time I flew to YDC was on a clear morning in August and as I'm sure anyone who flies in the area is familiar with, the traffic in the uncontrolled airspace was heavy and the position reports often lackluster. Even with my head on a swivel I often still end up with a scare or two. I usually end up cutting through Abbotsford to avoid Glen valley international but will give terminal a try next time.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

If you are afraid of the traffic, stay well South of the Fraser River, and go through Abbotsford's zone. Then stay towards the South side of the Valley, and climb using ridge lift.

chris917
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chris917 »

7ECA wrote:If you are afraid of the traffic, stay well South of the Fraser River, and go through Abbotsford's zone. Then stay towards the South side of the Valley, and climb using ridge lift.
Yeah that is more or less my "get out of Vancouver on a busy day" routine, save for the ridge lift idea - thanks, I'll have to give that a try.

Return to “General Comments”