Alligent Pilot Fired for Ordering Evacuation

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

200hr Wonder
Rank 10
Rank 10

Alligent Pilot Fired for Ordering Evacuation

Post by 200hr Wonder »

http://abcnews.go.com/US/pilot-sues-all ... d=35165366

If you where in his seat do you feel your airline would have your back if you deemed it necessary to evacuate an aircraft? I feel mine would. I can not say if this case warranted it, but as a professional if I decide to get out of dodge I sure hope my company stands up for my actions.
---------- ADS -----------

Cheers,

200hr Wonder
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Alligent Pilot Fired for Ordering Evacuation

Post by fish4life »

I have no doubt my airline would have my back. As for him being justified if you are getting smoke in the cabin fire tends not to be far behind, I would rather evacuate and find out I never needed to then no evacuate and kill everyone on board because I should have.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Time and again we learn that fatal aircraft fires would only have had a more positive outcome if the crew had reacted decisively at the very first indication of a fire- the VERY first. I can't believe this pilot is being taken to task for making this decision.

I'm pretty sure my company would agree with me. This shows some real ineptitude in the upper ranks- probably non-flying "executive" personnel- who, with not too much imagination, could have turned this into good PR by championing, not censuring, this pilot.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

Saw this story a few days ago. I thought it was a joke!

If you feel (for ANY reason) as a captain, to evacuate the aircraft, your word is LAW!!! It has to be. It's the basis of aviation safety. It's grass roots!
Far better to be standing on the ramp thinking "I could have stayed on board.....", than be sitting in a burning aircraft thinking "I really should have bailed....."
No HR department, or armchair quarterback is qualified to second guess this call.
Smoke = GET THE FAAK OFF THE AIRCRAFT!!!!!
Are there any questions? There'd better not be.
He made the CORRECT CALL. My evidence? Everybody's safe and sound.
The stupidity of some people in this industry is mind numbing.
Illya

Just to add to this.....will the next captain with this company, just sit there and cremate his passengers for fear of being fired???? THINKABOUTIT.

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

I think the PR of firing this pilot is far worse than the original incident. I hope he wins his case. But will this register with the traveling public, probably not...

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

Another airline on my do not fly list!

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

I can't believe atc told him not to evacuate?

Was his decision to evacuate correct? I don't know, I don't have all the facts. Was it reasonable? Without a doubt, yes.

I'm confident my airline would have my back.

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

I just finished watching the video and if I were the CEO of Alligiant Airlines, I would be making a huge out of court settlement with that pilot because if the facts reported in the news account are accurate, the airline just may change from AlliGIANT to AlliTENSEWEENSY Airlines. What I took from the news video is that ATC possibly wanted the aircraft to evacuate passengers on a taxiway as opposed to the runway. Allitiny Airlines did not want the FAA to hear about the problem because it would give the FAA another arrow in their quiver when the horse ploppings hits the fan.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
Gannet167
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Gannet167 »

I think the Alligent crew did very well. I would have done the same thing and there would have been no second guessing my decision. The delayed passenger evac has killed people. British Airtours 28 is a good example. There were a number of factors that caused deaths, but, the 4 page check list that ends with passenger evacuation certainly contributed. If the pilots had known the severity of the problem and done a max effort braking abort on the runway and immediate ground egress, the results may very well have been better. The first 13 minutes of this video are a good takeaway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDzfebL8XfE

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

PWA501 was another accident that almost became fatal because of delayed evacuation.

(Kind of an aside: PWA501 is also a great explanation for why you stay on the runway if there is any need for CFR services to come to the airplane to evaluate or assist)

Better to be judged by one than carried by six.

tbayav8er
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tbayav8er »

Perhaps a better company will scoop this guy up now.

Return to “General Comments”