Has SMS led to the downsize of Transport Canada inspectors?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

CBcloud9
Rank 1
Rank 1

Has SMS led to the downsize of Transport Canada inspectors?

Post by CBcloud9 »

Hi,

Just writing a personal paper on SMS and its effectiveness across Canada for 703 704 and 705 carriers.

How many Transport Canada Aviation inspectors are there right now? Is this less or more proportionally as in decades past?

Thanks for any discussion
---------- ADS -----------

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Has SMS led to the downsize of Transport Canada inspecto

Post by lownslow »

I thought it was the other way around but it could be like figuring out if the chicken came before the egg.

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

I'm curious - what is a "personal paper"?

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
CBcloud9
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CBcloud9 »

Essentially, just a research paper that I am writing for my own amusement

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Fewer, not "less" inspectors. Unless you want to know if they've all got shorter. Which is actually what your thread title implies
:-)

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

We all get a little shorter as we age, especially those of our ranks whom are sporting Beaver Back.

I think the process was TC was told by the government to stop spending money, it was gutted by that nitwit who is living in luxury on his pension, forgot his name, (please don't remind me) and the result was SMS. The bright spark that suggested to the director that SMS would save the planet probably got a huge promotion because it pulled the director's fat (ass) out of the fire.

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
armchair
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by armchair »

The numbers of inspectors by itself does not reflect the fact that back until, say, the mid 90's, the vast majority of inspectors had technical backgrounds. More recently TC created a wide umbrella job description - separate from the job classification - called "Civil Aviation Safety Inspector", or CASI, which can include anyone with any kind of education or background, even if they have no aviation experience.

So for every 100 inspectors before 1995-1997, I would say 8 or 9 out of 10 had a certified aviation background and years of aviation work experience. Today, I would estimate that only half the inspectorate has that same prerequisite aviation credentials and experience. My estimates may not be accurate but you should try to get figures directly from the inspectors unions. They may support such an effort. In any event, I recommend you take that into account in your personal paper.

Last edited by armchair on Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

CBcloud9 wrote:Essentially, just a research paper that I am writing for my own amusement
Someday we should meet. I'd be interested to see what someone who writes a research paper on TC (or any other topic for that matter) for their own amusement is like.

But it would have to be in public place, with lots of security around. :wink:

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
A Regulator
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by A Regulator »

The other item that happened at about the same time was a National reorganization for the entire Civil Aviation department and we were forbidden to hire anyone despite the inspectors retiring or departing for other places. Some regions are just starting to hire but with the election that happened all hiring has stopped some places like in Ottawa they are most likely still short. Things are changing but not sure if anyone is listening as I don't think anyone in headquarters knows 702, 703 and 704 have processes for conducting PVI's must be some nitwit who wrote the SUR001 thought they did.

human garbage
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by human garbage »

I think you are going to have to file an Access to Information request to get numbers of inspectors.

A regulator was correct about approaching the unions for information as well. They may have some data you can use. As to breakdown of background for AO and TI classifications, the best I could find is in the survey contained in the appendix of this paper from UCTE:

http://www.ucte.ca/wp-content/uploads/2 ... 014-EN.pdf

Good luck in finding what you want.

"...flying airplanes is really not all that difficult so it attracts some of the most mentally challenged people in society." - . .

"Baby, stick out your can... 'cause I'm the garbageman"
redgrange
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by redgrange »

I had a couple of friends who had both been in the business many years go through the selection process earlier this year. I believe both were placed in a hiring pool for upcoming Regional positions just prior to the election however neither have heard a thing since. Has the hiring process been temporarily stalled or do they intend to hire at all in the near future ? Might be something for the OP to consider regarding numbers forecast for the future.

A Regulator
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by A Regulator »

hiring is still going to continue but all is frozen till further notice. UCTE is not the association for the AO's as that is the CFPA and they have information on their web site. Also your friend could contact the person who did the interviews as they should have provided contact information and they should be able to at least give you some information or look into it but no departments are hiring external applicants.

human garbage
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by human garbage »

A Regulator wrote:...UCTE is not the association for the AO's as that is the CFPA...
That is correct of course. Sorry that my post made it sound otherwise. What I wrote was in reference to the linked UCTE paper. Appendix 3 is an Abacus survey that was commissioned by UCTE that happened to poll both AO and TI employees on SMS.
redgrange wrote:...I believe both were placed in a hiring pool for upcoming Regional positions just prior to the election however neither have heard a thing since...
Not unusual during a change in Government. IIRC they can be in the pool for up to 24 months before having to reapply. Hopefully hiring will start again long before that time elapses. The Liberals have traditionally been good for hiring for the public service...

"...flying airplanes is really not all that difficult so it attracts some of the most mentally challenged people in society." - . .

"Baby, stick out your can... 'cause I'm the garbageman"
redgrange
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by redgrange »

Thanks for the info. on that:; I will mention to them to have a look at this thread as it will be of interest to them. I didn't mean to detract from the OP's original post , hopefully he can make use of the sites referenced for the research paper.
I believe the pool they were placed into was for just 12 months. There is a cost factor to the taxpayer for establishing these hiring pools. If hiring is frozen due an election and subsequent change of government is this taken into account when a hiring pool expires as far as deciding whether or not to extend the validity time of the pool ? I took a look at the material you mentioned and get the general idea that the CFPA would like to include more people within its ranks with actual industry experience. Hopefully they are being listened to by our new government as the CFPA members are probably in the strongest position to rate the effectiveness of SMS.

Return to “General Comments”