Do I keep pressing on?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

towerwind32
Rank 0
Rank 0

Do I keep pressing on?

Post by towerwind32 »

For some people getting into flying is a 2nd career. I myself am one of those young at heart that starting pursing the dream several years back.

Today I am in my early 40's with approx 500 hours of flight time. I know I am still a couple of years away of getting on a regional airline which is my goal. Thinking of my age and the path still ahead of me its becoming easier and easier to get discouraged and maybe face reality that it is actually to late.

By the time I get to 1000 - 1500 hours, would any carrier even consider hiring me? I realize that I will be flying with guys 15-20 years younger then me, is that an awkward situation? even for the younger captain?

Hoping to hear some encouraging feedback from people in my situation who have gone down this path, or the younger ones who had older FO's in their hiring class and their experiences.

Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Do I keep pressing on?

Post by goingnowherefast »

Granted I'm in the 703 world, but I've had chief pilots, training captains and line captains significantly younger than myself. I've flown with FOs several years older. In my experience, it's mutual professional respect. Age means very little.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

"I am in blood stepp'd so far, that should I wade no more, returning were as tedious as go o'er...."

I think that you are correct in your analysis that left seat in a 787 for AC is probably out of reach. Left in a Dash, ATR, or the like is still very do-able, IMO. The sticking point is, are you going to be willing to
put up with the bs that a 702/3 job deals at you until 704 or 5 shows up? OTOH, you are probably one job away from a B200 medevac job that will keep you relatively comfortable for the rest of your career.. What's your family status? Can you move? Is/are your wife and kids onboard with doing so?

Besides, what are you going to do, pack it all in, and go off to trade school to become an electrician? That will take you 4 years also....

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mr. North »

North Shore wrote:
Besides, what are you going to do, pack it all in, and go off to trade school to become an electrician? That will take you 4 years also....
And while electricians make money hand over fist, they don't exactly get up every morning happy to go to work.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

First of all, you have 25 years left. That could easily translate to 20 years with a 705 carrier.

Secondly, the majors in Canada are matured or maturing, and upgrade times are soon going to be well over 10 years. Because there will always be the chase iron mentality, the regionals will experience significantly shorter upgrade times, and generally offer much better schedules

Go for it. Flying is not just a living. It is part if who we are.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
springlocked
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by springlocked »

Who knows where aviation will be in 10 years and let alone 20 years. To start out in your 40's is certainly a daunting undertaking and you must recognize where you have set your sights is seniority driven and there is nothing but to wait for your number. So if this is a passion and you feel you can live on scrape by money at an age where most are trying to max out their RSP's (but then again to be thinking of this maybe you don't need money) You should follow your dreams. Know the pitfalls and be informed. Except for JAZ I don't see many career pilots in the other fee for departure airlines. They are a stepping stone for main line which might also work for you. You could go to WJ or AC. You wold never see the "money" seat. There are lots of other aviation career directions that you can consider but generally it means moving and I suspect you want to work where you live right now likely because of family. Like I said, if it's a dream you should go for it but do it with your eyes open and be prepared to work until you are 75 :smt040 -- that's my goal

One piece of advice I will put out there. Most people become very fed up with sitting in the "right" seat.

cjet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by cjet »

I know WJ has hired pilots in their 60's. It's never too late to start.

Cjet

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

Naaa f*** it.

What was the number of that truck driving school again?...1-800-...???

This is jest. F*** it man keep on 'truckin'. Ya put the effort in. Ya will earn a good gig. Seen lots of 'mature' guys do just fine. Dont forget to look at the Corporate world once ya get a little more experience under your belt. I've heard of lots of late-bloomers exceling there.

ea306
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ea306 »

ONE LIFE TO LIVE!!!!

Live it and live it well!!

You will succeed.
ea306

buzzinaround
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by buzzinaround »

Started when I was 42. Not 60 yet and over 6000 hours flying low and slow. No desire for 704 and up but nothing is out of reach. Find an operator willing to give you a chance and if all goes well stick it out for a few years. You could be in some big stuff very shortly. I see a lot of FOs who have not yet seen a razor, never to late to start. Your maturity will be looked for!

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

Similar situation here....Started late, can't afford to work entry level jobs for 10 years to get somewhere decent. I'd love to work F/T in aviation if the wages were affordable.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
x15
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by x15 »

I started when I was 34. Coming up on 40 now. Seen most of the world from the front of a business jet. Plenty of time on the ground exploring too.

Read Think and grow rich by Napoleon Hill. Replace the goal of making $$$ with your current goals and follow the steps within... :)

x15
Skin, Tin, Ticket...In that order.
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 180 »

I'm in a similar situation, kind of... I flew floats, single engine VFR for over a decade. I'm now 44 with just shy of 500 hours in the right seat of a corporate classic Dash. Early next year, I'll attempt the move to a feeder Dash with the hopes of mainline by 50. I'll hopefully see 10 years (give or take) in the left seat of a 737 or something similar by the time I hit 65. If you're early 40's, and have the stick-to-it-ivness and a bit of a nest egg to lean on for the next few years, you could very easily follow a similar path. Half the captains I fly with aren't far off half my age and we all get along just fine. Mutual respect for a mutual passion breaks all age barriers. Have fun and go for it!

And feel free to PM me if you have any questions...

Return to “General Comments”