Bahamas Trip!

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

aviatrix444
Rank 1
Rank 1

Bahamas Trip!

Post by aviatrix444 »

I bought a Cherokee for time building, but I'm getting bored of doing laps around lake simcoe and Georgian bay and $200 hamburgers. I'm based in Buttonville. The weather hasn't been letting me venture much further east or west. Then it occurred to me that I have a valid passport and money that I was saving for fuel anyway... Why not go somewhere south?

So, for anyone who has made the trip, anything you learned that you wish you knew before you went?
---------- ADS -----------

C-GKNT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Bahamas Trip!

Post by C-GKNT »

I didn't stop in the Bahamas (although, I considered it on the way back) but I did fly my Mooney into Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Dominican Republic and Haiti in 2010.

I learned that the Caribbean runs on paperwork (bring carbon paper). Also when down there, patience is a not just a virtue its a requirement!

Go for it!

Glenn

Broken Slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Broken Slinky »

Sort of the same feel with Glenn's comments. When you're in the Bahamas, it's Bahamas time. Don't expect things to go fast. Customs on the islands is fairly relaxed. The FBOs will "help" you with your paperwork (like filing flight plans) but there are fees. Just go to the towers and file the paperwork yourself and save the fees. Exuma is a good example of this. It costs $20-$40 to file through the FBO. The tower doesn't charge. It was a fueling truck operator who gave me that information so I gave him the $20.
Go to this site: http://www.bahamas.com/pilot-packages
Take advantage of the credits where you can. $300 goes a long ways towards fuel. Get your hands on a copy of the Bahamas Pilot's Guide. It's a small book with all of the air fields, FBOs, fuel, phone numbers, etc... It's definitely worth the $30. Saves printing out tons of Airnav sheets.
http://www.bahamas.com/private-flying
Lists all the procedures to get from the main land and back. It's also all laid out in the Pilot's Guide but...
If you're looking for any particulars, just let me know. A group of us have another trip planned for the Bahamas early May.

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

Try to contact COPA and AOPA for info. They both have resources available which can easily merit the value of an annual membership. Have fun and don't push the weather!

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
ScottS
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ScottS »

I noticed there is an article in this month's Flying mag about a trip to the Bahamas in a Piper. Haven't read it yet, but I am sure it will get your juices flowing and contain some useful info.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

The one thing that everyone who has made the trip before always says is "I wish I had brought DanWEC".

Don't make the same mistake....

:smt040

aviatrix444
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by aviatrix444 »

I belong to COPA and hadn't even thought of that... Thanks!

I assumed I'd have to bring cash for things. I've travelled in the Caribbean before and it seems like nothing happens unless you have USD in your hands.

There's a seat for DanWEC if he has gas money :) :)

Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 180 »

DanWEC is RICH beeeatch! And wherever he goes, bartenders buy him drinks, he never waits in line or pays cover, strictly side door entrances and private VIP rooms for DanWEC, where the girls pay HIM to give him lap dances. All the girls want him and all the boys wish they were him. You might actually have to pay HIM if you want him to join you! But be cool when you invite him, he can smell desperation through his monitor! :lol:

aviatrix444
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by aviatrix444 »

Do what you're saying is DanWEC is actually the most interesting man in the world. Stay thirsty my friends.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

mac.jpg
mac.jpg (55.92 KiB) Viewed 2751 times

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

You are definitely a Legend DanWEC....a legend in your own mind.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Please reference above post. Sec 1 Para 1.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

My GF and I spent a week on Abaco Island last winter and after flying in through and spending one night in Nassau my feeling is that the "out islands" are where its at. Everything happens on "island time". Real layed back. Marsh Harbour is a great little resort town. Good food, friendly people, Canadian prices but in American dollars so expensive but worth it.

Around the time we went there, there was a short but informative thread on flying there. I'll see if I can find it for you.

Edit: here ya go: http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopi ... it=bahamas

Despite what someone said about Abaco we loved it. there was a reef in 7'-10' of water about 50' off shore with groupers, brain coral, a sea turtle, a few hundred other fish, and amazing colours about a 45 minute walk down the beach from where we stayed.

There is a wild Parrot flock, indigenous to the island. They are related to the Cuban Amazon, and came to our seaside abode to eat fruit from the trees while we drank $10 a bottle rum, lemonade, made from local fresh "sours".

aviatrix444
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by aviatrix444 »

Based on all of your helpful hints, I think I have a plan. The COPA/AOPA guides are fantastic. Hoping it'll save my bacon flying through all of those centres.

I've got foreflight pro and a stratus 2 with ADS-B, just downloaded the US maps and trying to make myself as familiar as possible with the airspace.

The multitude of Air Force bases and restricted air space is a little shocking at first glance, but it looks like I'll be happily out of the way at 8500' (for most of it... Few spots have to be below 6000'

I've decided to do my overnight in Kitty Hawk to take in some history, because why not.

Depending on winds it should take me 2 days at 6-7 hours a day to get to Bimini.

Fuel is about $1.40 a litre with the exchange south of the border. The fuel prices on foreflight are the main reason why I chose all my checkpoint (except for Kitty Hawk). With strategic fuel planning I should be able to do the whole trip for $1000 CAD. After all I'm time building, no need to fly at 2450 RPM.

I was originally planning on clearing US customs in Niagara Falls, but after doing some research decided to head farther south to another airport of entry that doesn't charge landing fees.

I've already set up eAPIS and have my customs stickers.

I'm planning on leaving on the 15th of December, weather is forecasted to be favourable (but who the hell can tell this far out.)

Cross all your fingers and toes and pray to whatever god(s) tickles your fancy that the weather let's me get out :) unfortunately I am IFR rated, but my Cherokee is not ;)

Attachments
Planned routing
Planned routing
image.png (110.07 KiB) Viewed 2196 times
cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Keep us posted, sounds like a great trip. We spend a fair amount of time in the Bahamas, it's beautiful, but Don't be in a rush for anything. Take lots of pics and just enjoy the ride!

Broken Slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Broken Slinky »

Once you leave KFFA and start running along the East Coast of the US, you may want to pick up flight following, especially as you approach KSSI or KFHB heading into Florida. The GA traffic in Florida is extremely thick at the lower altitudes and even worse on a nice sunny weekend. It starts thinning out above 6500' but you still get some pilots that have no idea what altitude to hold.
Call ahead (can't remember the frequency) and get permission to do a low and slow over KTTS. Have your video camera set up and enjoy 3 miles of runway. Watch out for birds though.

Machdiamond
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Machdiamond »

I wouldn't recommend Bimini unless you have a specific reason to visit that island. Its proximity to Miami has turned it into a bit of a zoo, and there is nothing to see within walking distance from the runway.

Great Harbour Cay would be much nicer and laid back port of entry. Beautiful beach with a little restaurant just 200 meters from your aircraft.

I second Broken Slinky recommendation on flight following, particularly along the Florida Coast. Personally, I would use FF for the entire trip.

Enjoy!

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

I would recommend clearing customs at KBUF especially if this is your first time clearing US customs by aircraft. It will be easier for you to plan the time so you arrive on time. Some customs officers at certain airports can be rather finicky and get quite upset if you're late. Especially if it's not an airport that has customs stationed there 24/7. KBUF officers are generally nice, located on the same ramp as Prior (the FBO), and you only have to pay 5 dollars for some security fee (I think all airports in NY have this, I paid it at ROC and SYR too). It's a nice FBO and the staff are nice.

Cap'n P8
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cap'n P8 »

Along time ago, I cleared customs into the US at Sandusky OH. It was quick and painless...and available on a Sunday IIRC. That was circa 2000 though...

"Hell, I'll fly up your ass if the money's right!"
Orlando Jones - Say It Isn't So
C-GKNT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by C-GKNT »

Cessna 180 wrote:I would recommend clearing customs at KBUF especially if this is your first time clearing US customs by aircraft. It will be easier for you to plan the time so you arrive on time. Some customs officers at certain airports can be rather finicky and get quite upset if you're late. Especially if it's not an airport that has customs stationed there 24/7. KBUF officers are generally nice, located on the same ramp as Prior (the FBO), and you only have to pay 5 dollars for some security fee (I think all airports in NY have this, I paid it at ROC and SYR too). It's a nice FBO and the staff are nice.
I have cleared customs into the US at maybe 15 different airports. Personally I have found that none are really bad but generally the further from the border the nicer they are. I would just clear wherever is convenient for your trip. The only place I wouldn't clear is Niagara Falls. They told me that they close a lane at the bridge and one of the agents drives over, those bridges are congested enough...they weren't complaining but I just couldn't do it.

I always call well ahead and ask them their procedures as each one is different. Also the last call I make before I start up is to give customs an updated ETA.

Glenn

Return to “General Comments”