CATSA Explosive Trace Detection on prosthetics.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

RampCommander
Rank 0
Rank 0

CATSA Explosive Trace Detection on prosthetics.

Post by RampCommander »

As an airport worker, I pass through a non-passenger screening checkpoint several times a day. Years ago it was as simple as the Biometric finger-tip /eye scanner and walk on through the door. Now the Authority has deemed it necessary to have us X-Ray our personal items and outer wear, pass through a metal detector and have our hands swabbed for the ETD machine. Even though we all have Restricted Area ID Cards. Although it's a waist of resources, man-power, time and money (In my humble opinion), I do understand the reason for this theatrical production.

I'm now catching wind that my Prosthesis will soon have to be swabbed for Explosive Traces. Every single time I'm selected for "Random" screening, I will have to bypass the metal detector and approach the CATSA agent, expose my prosthetic through the many layers of winter clothing and allow them to use their Explosives Trace Detecting machine on me.

I'm reserving my personal opinion on this matter. For now I would like to gather the Public's view.

Thank You.
---------- ADS -----------

Apollo
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: CATSA Explosive Trace Detection on prosthetics.

Post by Apollo »

I fly the damn plane. I literally have the lives of people in my hands when I'm at work. I don't need anything but my hands to do what they are trying to prevent.

I still have to go through security.

It's bullshit.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Fear keeps us in line. It doesn't even have to be rational fear. The terror alert is yellow so take off your clothes. Fear and consumption, fear and obedience, fear but don't ask questions. Fear of terrorists, fear of no fly lists.....

stef
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by stef »

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Pretty sure there was a mayday episode about that. The transcript is terrifying. What an amazing job to get the bird on the ground!

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Your raic doesn't make you god or infallible to human errors. Stop complaining and just do your job. If you don't like it or think it's a waste and blah blah blah then find another career or work at another airport that doesn't have the security in place. Personally i would just work the security check into my daily hours.

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

Apollo wrote:I fly the damn plane. I literally have the lives of people in my hands when I'm at work. I don't need anything but my hands to do what they are trying to prevent.

It's bullshit.
Sorry...

Anybody can buy a nice uniform on ebay.
In some countries, aircrew passes act as airport pass! You just need a color printer to do one.
So unless everytime you pass security in Canada somebody or a machine has a good look on a Red pass to determine it is not a fake and belonguing to the correct person, I will be happy to see anyone wearing whatever uniform being patted down before going on the other side.

Same goes with people working on the ramp, who knows if the guy/gal is not under mental pressure this particular day (familly member kidnapped, do this or will do that...)

Last edited by TG on Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
W0X0F
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by W0X0F »

As I watched a fellow aviator having to go through the senseless CATSA screening in front of me, I said to the screening agent, "You know, there is a fire axe mounted under his seat". The blank stare from the screening agent clearly indicated that the hamster fell off the wheel.

That aside, I just recently returned from vacation in Hawaii, thank-you very much. Still wearing shorts in Vancouver I had to go through screening again. I got the "random" beep. So into the big scanner I go. There I'm asked to wait until the image comes up on the screen. My knees are in the yellow box. WTF? Like I said I'm wearing shorts. Calcium build up perhaps or is it all just BS?

.80@410
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by .80@410 »

Baaaaa
It's due to sheep like you that we keep having our freedoms taken away and more
Ridiculous rules put in place .

I guess that phony RAIC had phony fingerprints and bio metrics attached to it too?
Tell me - can u make those on a cheap printer too? :roll:

Bet u can't wait for the full probe to be introduced. :rolleyes:

TG wrote:
Apollo wrote:I fly the damn plane. I literally have the lives of people in my hands when I'm at work. I don't need anything but my hands to do what they are trying to prevent.

It's bullshit.
Sorry...

In some countries, aircrew passes act as airport pass! You just need a color printer to do one.
So unless everytime you pass security in Canada somebody or a machine has a good look on a Red pass to determine it is not a fake and belonguing to the correct person, I will be happy to see anyone wearing whatever uniform being patted down before going on the other side.

Same goes with people working on the ramp, who knows if the guy/gal is not under mental pressure this particular day (familly member kidnapped, do this or will do that...)

Just callin it like it is.
Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Years ago, when I played bass for a long-forgotten rock band, I would keep my prosthesis wrapped in aluminium foil. One day it was detected by the "wand" scanner wielded by a security agent,and I was forced to pull it out of my pants in front of all my band-mates. Worse, we were being filmed for a documentary at the time and my prosthesis was exposed in front of many people. It was humiliating.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
B208
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by B208 »

Heliian wrote:Your raic doesn't make you god or infallible to human errors. Stop complaining and just do your job. If you don't like it or think it's a waste and blah blah blah then find another career or work at another airport that doesn't have the security in place. Personally i would just work the security check into my daily hours.
Shut.
Up.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

It's not technically CATSAs fault. They are simply barely above minimum wage, pee-ons doing their silly job. The directive for this harassment of flight crew and ground staff came from none other than Transport Canada.

Let’s Go Brandon
Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

It's "peons" but yeah.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

"When you are dead you don't know you are dead. Its difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Meatservo wrote:It's "peons" but yeah.
My dog and I are also willing to accept "pee-ons" as a valid term in this case.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Despite the fact that the information collected is basically the same, the RAIC has nothing to do with CATSA. You need to go get a NEXUS card. $50 and a few hours of your time well spent if you go through security more than twice a year, I'd do it.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

co-joe wrote:Despite the fact that the information collected is basically the same, the RAIC has nothing to do with CATSA. You need to go get a NEXUS card. $50 and a few hours of your time well spent if you go through security more than twice a year, I'd do it.
Not quite correct, Blank RAICs and the handheld RAIC readers are distributed to airports by CATSA and they are responsible for fixing any issues with the RAICs and readers.

Apollo
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Apollo »

TG wrote:

It's bullshit.
Sorry...

At most large airports in Canada not only do you need a RAIC, it gets scanned, and you identify yourself with either an iris or fingerprint scan. At some airports your picture even pops up on the guys screen so he can make sure its you.

If I've jumped through the hoops to get my RAIC, AND have to biometrically prove that the RAIC is mine, I should get a pass.

You should really research before you speak, as you don't seem to understand how it works very well.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Meatservo wrote:Years ago, when I played bass for a long-forgotten rock band, I would keep my prosthesis wrapped in aluminium foil. One day it was detected by the "wand" scanner wielded by a security agent,and I was forced to pull it out of my pants in front of all my band-mates. Worse, we were being filmed for a documentary at the time and my prosthesis was exposed in front of many people. It was humiliating.

Wait, let's go back to this. What?

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

I was hoping you wouldn't bring this up. The mind boggles!

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."

Return to “General Comments”