We're Almost There Guys

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Boreas
Rank 5
Rank 5

We're Almost There Guys

Post by Boreas »

---------- ADS -----------

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: We're Almost There Guys

Post by timel »

If tomorrow they legislate a minimum of 1500 hours for 705 ops you will get your pilot shortage.

But honestly, times are good for pilots willing to move up the ladder, 12 years ago it was quite rough.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

There may not be a huge shortage but things are moving pretty darn well right now. I personally went from 200 hr wonder to 737 fo in less than 5 years. People entering the industry 15 years ago couldn't dream of that kind of progression. And trust me, I'm no hot shot by any means.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

I'd say we are very close to shortage territory, look at the hours guys are getting into the right seat of 705 machines with these days. Part of the issue is probably related to pay though but 5 years ago they could pay that much and get double to triple the experience.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

You used to need 3000 hours to go right seat on a King Air...

Probably wouldn't get a -8 job, let alone a jet job without 5000 hours and an in with the company.

I'm shocked at the movement and opportunity out there right now. Can't help but laugh when guys trash a job flying a RJ or even 1900 and they're 2 years post-CPL...

CPLMike89
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CPLMike89 »

Still sucks for us mid-time guys who don't want to take the financial hit of making less than 50% of our current salary. If history serves I'm guessing we'll be seeing more bogus low-time-cadet-pilot-slave-schemes before we see a respectable rise in the WAWCON of our 704/705 carriers.

nofixedaddress
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by nofixedaddress »

The original posters picture is actually the pilot waiting for WAWCON to improve and not willing to take the cut. Meanwhile the guy that did leap frogs him after 4 years and is 10 years younger!

CPLMike89
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CPLMike89 »

nofixedaddress wrote:The original posters picture is actually the pilot waiting for WAWCON to improve and not willing to take the cut. Meanwhile the guy that did leap frogs him after 4 years and is 10 years younger!
Yup pretty much the way of it, If only I didn't like eating decent food or building equity I might stand a chance at an airline gig....

Boreas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Boreas »

nofixedaddress wrote:The original posters picture is actually the pilot waiting for WAWCON to improve and not willing to take the cut. Meanwhile the guy that did leap frogs him after 4 years and is 10 years younger!
For those of you that are on tablets or phones, or just special :wink: , the original pic is a link.

My take on the current state of the industry is that its a lot better then it was 5 years ago, which was better then 10 years ago. For most out there, its pretty good, for a few other, not so much. I want to say its best for those just coming out of school at this stage - I cant imagine anyone ramping or instructing for years nowadays.

As for the cadet programs, they're already here!

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

Boreas wrote: As for the cadet programs, they're already here!
Do you have a link?

Last edited by timel on Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

ant_321 wrote:There may not be a huge shortage but things are moving pretty darn well right now. I personally went from 200 hr wonder to 737 fo in less than 5 years. People entering the industry 15 years ago couldn't dream of that kind of progression. And trust me, I'm no hot shot by any means.
Somebody please tell me he's joking k?

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

I know a guy who flew a 1900 for 4/5 years out of school and went direct to an A320 right seat at AC. Within the last few years. It's not unheard of.

skat0r
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by skat0r »

Another redditor! :D

currysonic
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by currysonic »

timel wrote:
Boreas wrote: As for the cadet programs, they're already here!
Do you have a link?
A guy I know from CQFA is now on the Q400 via the college to jazz program. Not really a cadet program albiet...

Another friend, finished the Air Georgian Cadet training last year. She's now on the 1900. Not sure if the have the program anymore... She got in during 2013/14 I believe.

Both great people, trying to get a leg up on life and taking opportunity when it comes.

Last edited by currysonic on Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 180 »

CPLMike89 wrote:Still sucks for us mid-time guys who don't want to take the financial hit of making less than 50% of our current salary.
I feel your pain, but if you look at it with a wide angle lens rather than a microscope, meaning average out your earnings over the next 20-30 years, then taking that 50% pay cut for 2-3 years is a no brainer. It's a tough pill to swallow, going from $90,000 to $45,000, (trust me, I know first hand), but if within 3 years of that pay cut, you're back up to $90,000, with the opportunity to hit double or triple that over the course of the rest of your career, well then that short term pain doesn't hurt so much.
co-joe wrote:
ant_321 wrote:There may not be a huge shortage but things are moving pretty darn well right now. I personally went from 200 hr wonder to 737 fo in less than 5 years. People entering the industry 15 years ago couldn't dream of that kind of progression. And trust me, I'm no hot shot by any means.
Somebody please tell me he's joking k?
He's not!

Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 180 »

I don't know Ant321's story, but I have a good buddy who went from 200 hour wonder to 737 FO in just under 6 years; Right seat 1900, left seat Caravan, left seat 1900, 737 FO. True story.

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

So the goal for most is to get to the right seat of a Boeing 737 as quickly as possible?

I loused it all up. :cry:

HiLo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by HiLo »

CL-Skadoo! wrote:So the goal for most is to get to the right seat of a Boeing 737 as quickly as possible?

For a lot of pilots, yes. I think doctors call it SJS: shiny jet syndrome.

Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 180 »

CL-Skadoo! wrote:So the goal for most is to get to the right seat of a Boeing 737 as quickly as possible?
Of course not.

The example was simply pointing to the speed of the movement in all sectors of the industry right now.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

Wasn't my goal at all actually. I wasn't in a rush at all, it's just how the cards fell. I was in the right place at the right time a couple times and things have progressed fast for me. And I'm not the only one. I have several friends who are in similar situations as I am with similar experience. Sometimes I feel like i missed out on some of the fun flying but overall I'm quite content. For me it is all about lifestyle. Right now I'm flying nice equipment to nice destinations and only working half the month. And I didn't have to take a pay cut to get here. I have been very fortunate.

Return to “General Comments”