Resume/cover letter

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

springjob
Rank 3
Rank 3

Resume/cover letter

Post by springjob »

Did anybody use the resume/cover letter service of PCC, and if yes, what do you think?
Did it help? Did it make a difference?
Just starting to wonder what do I do wrong...

Thanks for any input
---------- ADS -----------

twinpratts
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by twinpratts »

Think of this... how many times do you think they change the format between pilots? (ie you and everybody else who pays the $$$ get to have the same resume! think of it as being members in a little club :? )
Save your $$.

I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers...
KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Pratts, you should be the new spoksmen for ING direct... :lol:

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
Pugster
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Pugster »

I've heard nothing but good things, but I tend to agree with Pratts myself.

I'd rather have a great looking resume that isn't EXACTLY the same format as half of the others in the pile.

As far as their interview preps go, I've heard extremely good things.

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

King Air Guy wrote:Pratts, you should be the new spoksmen for ING direct... :lol:
:lol:

That guy's accent is cool! I wish I had an accent. Then I could say, "You want to invest in oranges!"

Dust Devil
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Dust Devil »

Doesn't matter if you pay or not. everyones cover letters are the same. Everyone is hard working, dependable, and would be an asset to the company.

:roll:

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

I know there's some great resume advice floating around this site somewhere, from about a year back maybe. Do a search (don't just put in 'resume' - you'll come up with 15 pages of topics!) and if you have some time to weed through things, you should come up with it.

Bottom line, keep the resume to one page. Tailor it, and the cover letter, to the prospective employer - it's quite obvious if you have just a generic one that goes out to everyone - take the extra time to write "Dear Mr. Smith" instead of "Dear Sir" etc.

And use spell check and get someone to check it for GRAMMAR!!!!!!

springjob
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by springjob »

Thanks a lot for these advices.

I was wondering if you guys would'nt mind sending me your résumé/cover letter, it would give me some ideas. Of course you can remove your name and company names.

Those who would not mind PM me please.

Edo
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Edo »

why bother with a cover letter?

most people reading a resume push too much paper already. Just have a header with contact info and then go right into flight times, past employers keep it short.

maybe it seems lazy, but reall what does a cover letter actually do? other than cost more to fax/mail/print?

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I gave up on cover letters years ago and still seem to get calls. Yes a PPC or two helps, but all cover letters I've read seem to say the same stuff, and all end up in the same place (filed under G).

As for paying for a resume service, how much do they charge?

springjob
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by springjob »

That is pretty interesting. So you guys think that the cover letter is waste of trees. Is there anybody responsible of hiring who would confirm that?

PCC charges 150 $ for a resume and a cover letter (US)

Dust Devil
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Dust Devil »

springjob wrote:That is pretty interesting. So you guys think that the cover letter is waste of trees. Is there anybody responsible of hiring who would confirm that?

Unless you can put something different that says something about why you really want to work for my company I toss all resumes. As I said before, they all spew the same song and dance about being hardworking and blah blah blah. Find out what my company does. Do not call and ask because I don't have time for that. Do a little leg work. If you can convince me in a cover letter that you actually know something about the job your applying for you're already miles ahead of anyone else. To many guys out there just mass send out resumes. These can be spotted a mile away. I have no interest in hiring someone who has no idea where they want to go.

Wind Ryder
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Wind Ryder »

They all end up pretty much the same. Save the $$ for stamps and do a search on the net for resumes and cover letters. The letter is a very brief introduction the actual resume is the important part.

springjob
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by springjob »

Dust Devil:

I can understand why one could be annoyed with mass application, but on the other hand there are 100's of companies in Canada who have the same potential for an applicant. The real difference is the location!
Of course you cannot write that what is really interesting with your company is that my wife has a job in this town!
And it is the same with candidates...there are a bunch of applicants equally qualified right!
Than it is more something like how is the person going to fit in the team...
That is why I think that it is hard to expect more than generic application. It will get more specific after a conversation with the potential employee.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

springjob wrote:That is pretty interesting. So you guys think that the cover letter is waste of trees. Is there anybody responsible of hiring who would confirm that?

Yes and Whoa Nelly!

I've never been responsible for the selection but I did help my last boss sort a few hundred resumes one time and all the cover letters were already in the garbage before I got there. You could write a mini cover letter on your one page resume if you really want to.

150 quid is way too much. I'd do it for a six pack of Kokanee. :D

Dust Devil
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Dust Devil »

springjob wrote:Dust Devil:

I can understand why one could be annoyed with mass application, but on the other hand there are 100's of companies in Canada who have the same potential for an applicant. The real difference is the location!
Of course you cannot write that what is really interesting with your company is that my wife has a job in this town!
And it is the same with candidates...there are a bunch of applicants equally qualified right!
Than it is more something like how is the person going to fit in the team...
That is why I think that it is hard to expect more than generic application. It will get more specific after a conversation with the potential employee.
Don't really care if it's hard to expect that. I still toss all resumes unless they catch my eye. If someone writes me to say that they want to work for me because their wife lives in the city I'm based in then fine. Atleast I know the person actually is applying to my company. I can't speak for other operators but that's just the way it's done here.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Dust devil, what company do you work for?

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
Dust Devil
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Dust Devil »

King Air Guy wrote:Dust devil, what company do you work for?
Why? You lookin for a job?

2low
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by 2low »

I am. Could you please help me out?

Tube Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tube Driver »

the heart and soul of a good resume/cover letter is not in the formatting but in the actual information it contains. As the saying goes you cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Return to “General Comments”