Dellen Millard trial

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Stumper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Dellen Millard trial

Post by Stumper »

After starting my career with Millard Air in YYZ and knowing personally some of those involved in this controversy I can't help but be interested in this trial. I'm sure there are others out there that are as well..

http://www.annrbrocklehurst.com/tag/tim-bosma

Live coverage:
https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamCarterCB ... %5Eprofile

My deepest condolences to the victims of these crimes
---------- ADS -----------

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Dellen Millard trial

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

I drove the Racers for Carl. Following with interest.
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
Stumper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Stumper »

ChrisEvans
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ChrisEvans »

Just sickening - I knew the Millard family from Carl, Wayne, to Dellen.

The Bosma case is cut and dry - 1st degree murder - automatic Life 25 sentence - from the facts in court so far - they have him dead cold on this - done!

He still has the 1st degree murder/trial for Laura Babcock, and a 3rd 1st degree murder charge/trial for the killing of Wayne Millard. I don't know any of the details, or how strong the cases are - so may be very hard to prove.

The armoured guard in Edmonton got Life 40 for 3 murders and the guy who killed 3 RCMP out east got Life 75 - the two harshest sentences since 1962 death penalty.

If Dellen is convicted of all 3 1st degree murders - he will never get out of jail - though he may end up with a 1st degree conviction, and 2 2nd degree - time will tell.

Either way - the Judge now has a two precedent cases to see Dellen never gets out if he decides so.

Such sad outcome for Wayne. RIP

fleet16b
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by fleet16b »

Many evenings while working on my Fleet, I would hear a vehicle pull up , turn around and there would be Wayne Millard.
He would be just passing thru on his way home from his new hanger at Kitchener.
Wayne said he like to keep I touch will the small aviation guys and I had respect for him for that.
The last time I spoke with him he told me proudly all about the new operation and invited me to drop by anytime unannounced and he would show me around then take me for lunch
That was about 3 months before he died and I'll tell you one thing, he did not seem suicidal to me but who knows.

...isn't he the best pilot you've ever seen?....Yeah he is ....except when I'm shaving.........
land3
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by land3 »

...IMO best forum to keep up to the trial with all media twitter postings and pictures etc...

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumd ... othy-Bosma

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

fleet16b wrote: I'll tell you one thing, he did not seem suicidal to me but who knows.
That's why this piece of garbage is now being charged with his murder as well as that of his ex-girlfriend.

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

Just skimming around some of the web material covering this, and there doesnt seem to any word as to the motivation behind the alleged crimes. Just a bored/twisted rich kid?

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
land3
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by land3 »

mmm..bacon wrote:Just skimming around some of the web material covering this, and there doesnt seem to any word as to the motivation behind the alleged crimes. Just a bored/twisted rich kid?
...basically yes, along with the fact that the inheritance and wealth the father and gfather had left the kid was almost gone, and he needed a better truck to drag his jeep down to the Baja to go desert racing....sick.

fleet16b
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by fleet16b »

Well I've been following the live coverage on CBC since the start of the trial .
I'll say one thing, these two have to be be two of the stupidest criminals I've ever read about .
The Crowns evidence is pretty extensive regarding Tim Bosma's murder.
It makes me wonder what evidence the Crown has regarding the other two counts.
There must be quite a bit for the Crown to lay those charges so quickly also.
The only drawback I see so far is that the evidence analysts have not thus far been able to say who the triggerman was. From the evidence and actions of the defense lawyers , it obvious one is blaming the other.
Since they are both pleading not guilty to 1st degree murder they will most likely say it was either an accident or an unplanned struggle ( 2nd degree).

...isn't he the best pilot you've ever seen?....Yeah he is ....except when I'm shaving.........
oldyellr
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by oldyellr »

mmm..bacon wrote:Just skimming around some of the web material covering this, and there doesnt seem to any word as to the motivation behind the alleged crimes. Just a bored/twisted rich kid?
Afluenza.

Stumper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Stumper »

land3 wrote:...IMO best forum to keep up to the trial with all media twitter postings and pictures etc...

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumd ... othy-Bosma
Just wanted to thank you for this link land3. Took me a while to get onto it, but it is by far the best coverage of this trial

Was never a big fan of Carl for reasons that need not be hashed out here but are no surprise to any that were there. Honestly I can see reflections of Carl in Dellen as I follow this trial :( . To his credit he was a pioneer and gave a start in aviation to so many.

On the other hand, I considered Wayne to be an aimless hippy and told him so often. But he was a decent man and a personal friend. This is such a sad an unfortunate end to a Canadian aviation legacy

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

The news says Dellen and his co accused are guilty!

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

PilotDAR wrote:The news says Dellen and his co accused are guilty!
YES!! Justice for the Bosma family but it won't bring Tim back. Hope they both rot for life. I have no doubt that Mark Schmidt was more along for the ride, but that is still his problem.

Next, Millard's pending 1st murder charges for his dad and ex gf. What a peice of shit.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Next, Millard's pending 1st murder charges for his dad and ex gf.
Indeed! Does Millard still face prosecution for this too? Being in jail for one crime does not insulate you from prosecution for another - correct?

I was at an AMO a couple of years back, chatting with a staff member. He drew my attention to a very pretty Bell 47 sitting on the apron. He said "that's not going anywhere for a while, it belongs to Dellen Millard." What a waste, a fellow with an unusually great leg up into our industry, and apparently the resources to fly his own Bell 47, and he has to be a bad guy. Carl would have been ashamed.

BuckNasty
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BuckNasty »

PilotDAR wrote:
Indeed! Does Millard still face prosecution for this too? Being in jail for one crime does not insulate you from prosecution for another - correct?
Yup, he'll be going to trial for both of the other two murders in 2017 and 2018.

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

It would take 10 life sentences in a work camp to pay for the court costs alone !! Looks like the victims will be paying for his food/board and re-education in "prison" ? re-victimization!!!

grimey
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by grimey »

PilotDAR wrote:
Next, Millard's pending 1st murder charges for his dad and ex gf.

I was at an AMO a couple of years back, chatting with a staff member. He drew my attention to a very pretty Bell 47 sitting on the apron. He said "that's not going anywhere for a while, it belongs to Dellen Millard." What a waste, a fellow with an unusually great leg up into our industry, and apparently the resources to fly his own Bell 47, and he has to be a bad guy. Carl would have been ashamed.
Yes. Each first degree murder charge adds 25 years to his parole ineligibility if convicted.

no sig because apparently quoting people in context is offensive to them.
grimey
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by grimey »

DanWEC wrote:
PilotDAR wrote:The news says Dellen and his co accused are guilty!
YES!! Justice for the Bosma family but it won't bring Tim back. Hope they both rot for life. I have no doubt that Mark Schmidt was more along for the ride, but that is still his problem.

Next, Millard's pending 1st murder charges for his dad and ex gf. What a peice of shit.
Smich is charged with the murder of Millard's ex gf too. He knew what was up.

no sig because apparently quoting people in context is offensive to them.
ChrisEvans
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ChrisEvans »

Yes. Each first degree murder charge adds 25 years to his parole ineligibility if convicted.
From 1962 when Canada abolished the death penalty until 2011 - the most time a multiple murderer upon conviction could get was 25 years to life.

In 2011 Harper gave judges the ability to sentence multiple murderers to consecutive life terms - at the judges discretion.

Travis Baumgartner - the Edmonton atm guard - who executed 3 of his fellow guards - received a sentence of Life in Prison - with an eligibility date of 40 years before he can apply for parole - the harshest sentence since 1962.

However since then Justin Bourque who shot 5 RCMP killing 3 of them out east - received 5 consecutive life terms - 125 years - and must serve 75 years before applying for parole.

I don't believe anyone in Ontario has ever been sentenced under the new rules as of yet - Millard may be the first?, I've no idea if he killed his dad and the girl - but if they have the evidence to convict him, that may be Dellen Millard done for life.

Of course he deserves more - i would have no problem with death penalty - except - poor - innocent people usually end up the ones they kill. Next best thing we have is life sentence.

Return to “General Comments”