Westjet cover up: Alleged sexual assaults by pilot

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Westjet cover up: Alleged sexual assaults by pilot

Post by photofly »

There does not appear to be anything new or substantial in this second claim:
Lewis2.pdf
(1008.96 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
---------- ADS -----------

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
I WAS Birddog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by I WAS Birddog »

...has ANYONE heard how horrific the sexual harassment is at a little company out of an island in a major metropolitan city in Canada...who's mascot is a drunk skunk in a douchy tux?

If you don't wanna be involved in a sexual harassment suit;

i) DON'T fnck the help if you are even considered remotely attractive. Just don't do it.
ii) DON'T try and attempt to fnck the help knowing full well you have a personality of a wet dish rag and looks to match.
iii) Everyone just calm the fnck down.

:)

Before you plot your revenge on someone, make sure to dig two graveyard plots.
http://twitter.com/@iwasbirddog
FenceSitter
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FenceSitter »

A new piece from the CBC. It would take a lot of litigation but that statement, attributed to the CEO could be supportive of 'constructive dismissal' cases if any are heard before the CIRB. If you make a statement like that in which you encourage constructive dismissal, you are taking quite the gamble. It would appear that the reporter was actually in the room as well, I'd be a lot more careful in making statements like that in future... with so many employees, you never actually know who you are talking to.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/westjet ... -1.3515255

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

If an employee doesn't fit an organisation then they can be dismissed, in accordance with their contract of employment. It's unlawful to discriminate on any protected grounds like race or sex or disability - and some activities are protected like Union organisation but companies can and do and lawfully discriminate (read "choose") against, and terminate employees for not having the right mindset or being unwilling to support the company goals and structure. It may be bad for business, or bad for morale, or it may be good for business and give a boost to the remaining employees to see square pegs in round holes removed. That's not something in which a court will intervene.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

photofly wrote:If an employee doesn't fit an organisation then they can be dismissed, in accordance with their contract of employment. It's unlawful to discriminate on any protected grounds like race or sex or disability - and some activities are protected like Union organisation but companies can and do and lawfully discriminate (read "choose") against, and terminate employees for not having the right mindset or being unwilling to support the company goals and structure. It may be bad for business, or bad for morale, or it may be good for business and give a boost to the remaining employees to see square pegs in round holes removed. That's not something in which a court will intervene.
The CEO isn't talking about firing someone for being the wrong "fit", although firing someone who is doing their primary job well but refusing to sing campfire songs at a pilot meeting shouldn't be as easy as you imply. And a professional company will never discuss why an employee is dismissed whether it's for cause or not. He's talking about making their life at work a living hell until they quit.

I'm pretty sure even you can see the difference.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Yes, I was surprised by the WJ CEO commentary on CBC, but whatever. To us, the travelling public, WJ is just another airline out of the many North America dozens, nothing special and they are no better or worse than the rest of them. All airlines are trying to keep their heads above water and run their shows as they see fit. Nothing new here.

Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rookie50 »

Old fella wrote:Yes, I was surprised by the WJ CEO commentary on CBC, but whatever. To us, the travelling public, WJ is just another airline out of the many North America dozens, nothing special and they are no better or worse than the rest of them. All airlines are trying to keep their heads above water and run their shows as they see fit. Nothing new here.
Exactly. From my point of view I care little about anything other than seat comfort. Speaking of I despise the new slimline seats. Hard as a rock.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Rookie50 wrote:
Old fella wrote:Yes, I was surprised by the WJ CEO commentary on CBC, but whatever. To us, the travelling public, WJ is just another airline out of the many North America dozens, nothing special and they are no better or worse than the rest of them. All airlines are trying to keep their heads above water and run their shows as they see fit. Nothing new here.
Exactly. From my point of view I care little about anything other than seat comfort. Speaking of I despise the new slimline seats. Hard as a rock.
j

That's because you apparently don't work for them. Neither you or Old Fella seem concerned about the treatment of their employees as long as your ticket is cheap and your flight is pleasant. I don't even work for this company, in fact I work for the competition and I have more empathy toward them than you do.

Sometimes I hate this industry.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Rockie wrote:
photofly wrote:If an employee doesn't fit an organisation then they can be dismissed, in accordance with their contract of employment. It's unlawful to discriminate on any protected grounds like race or sex or disability - and some activities are protected like Union organisation but companies can and do and lawfully discriminate (read "choose") against, and terminate employees for not having the right mindset or being unwilling to support the company goals and structure. It may be bad for business, or bad for morale, or it may be good for business and give a boost to the remaining employees to see square pegs in round holes removed. That's not something in which a court will intervene.
The CEO isn't talking about firing someone for being the wrong "fit", although firing someone who is doing their primary job well but refusing to sing campfire songs at a pilot meeting shouldn't be as easy as you imply. And a professional company will never discuss why an employee is dismissed whether it's for cause or not. He's talking about making their life at work a living hell until they quit.

I'm pretty sure even you can see the difference.
I do see the difference, and I agree the tenor of his words is unpleasant. In Europe, after an initial period you can be sacked for refusing to sing the campfire songs, unless your job description is Fireside Entertainer - but we're not in Europe.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

If Saretzky had balls bigger than a mouse's he'd outright fire people who did their jobs but didn't fit his idea of true "Westjetters" and take his chances with the legal system. Instead that coward is enlisting rank and file employees to do his illegal dirty work for him and drive employees out through harassment. Disgusting.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

Rockie wrote:
Rookie50 wrote:
j

That's because you apparently don't work for them. Neither you or Old Fella seem concerned about the treatment of their employees as long as your ticket is cheap and your flight is pleasant. I don't even work for this company, in fact I work for the competition and I have more empathy toward them than you do.

Sometimes I hate this industry.
Jumpin Jesus, Rockie. If you hate(sometimes)the industry you work in WTF are you doing in it would be a logical question to ask. Speaking of questions(again), you work at AC not WJ so how does their "work /code of conduct/employee relations" et al affect you as an employee of one of WJ's competitors, WJ CEO doesn't sign your pay cheque. A poster who is less gentle that me may ask, what business is it of yours. Also, I fail to see the point of your "cheap ticket and pleasant flight", isn't that what airlines are supposed to do. I mean both you(AC) and WJ are still in business with very similar domestic fare structures so y'all are doing something right as Paul Simon says " Just trying to keep the Customer satisfied". Give it a rest Rock and stay loose, quaff some classified French and /or Italian Reds and enjoy flying your B787 Dreamliner, the very latest in heavy iron fast movers as I understand it.

Sometimes I hate posting here but I will give you first dibbs Rock in asking why I continue doing it :wink: :wink:

:partyman: :drinkers:

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Well old fella, I would be as vocal about any industry and company that treated their employees as shabbily as that. Fortunately my employer complies with harassment laws literally and in spirit as well. The fact Westjet's culture supersedes Canadian law and normal decency is disgusting in my mind and I don't mind saying so.

tailgunner
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tailgunner »

Rockie,
I cannot believe I am saying this, but I agree 100 percent with you on this issue.
Cheers.
ps. This does not change my opinion of your stance on the FP 60 , and the F35.. :)

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

Rockie wrote:Well old fella, I would be as vocal about any industry and company that treated their employees as shabbily as that. Fortunately my employer complies with harassment laws literally and in spirit as well. The fact Westjet's culture supersedes Canadian law and normal decency is disgusting in my mind and I don't mind saying so.
Well Rockie......... I just dunno what to say in that you take it on to be "the Angel of Compassion" for the miserable wretches who belong to this industry that you are part of and I am long departed from. Aviation discourse always makes for lively interaction which you participated in with passion - can't fault you for that, can I.

Have at'er

Cheers
OF
:drinkers:

privateer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by privateer »

Slow day for Rockie when you have to pick on WestJet's culture. Not every airline needs to be run like taxpayer funded Air Canada. Canadian business could learn a thing or two from Alberta business.

Last edited by privateer on Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ajet32
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ajet32 »

Privateer, why is it that people, yourself still somehow feel that Air Canada is tax payer funded. I doubt there are many on this forum who ever flew on it when it was a "Crown Company". Something it hasn't been since 1989.
"Westjet" have done a brilliant job as a company but, and I say but if they are complicit at any level of management in covering up sexual harassment then I suggest their brand image will suffer greatly.
I do remember when "Air Canada" reacted very strongly to the displaying of images of a sexual nature on the flight deck. This is 2016. Anyone who condones sexual harassment in the workplace is in for big trouble.

godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by godsrcrazy »

Rockie wrote:Well old fella, I would be as vocal about any industry and company that treated their employees as shabbily as that. Fortunately my employer complies with harassment laws literally and in spirit as well. The fact Westjet's culture supersedes Canadian law and normal decency is disgusting in my mind and I don't mind saying so.
Air Canada form of handling sexual harassment is. Don't hire any young flight attendants. I think they have the attitude we aren't happy unless your unhappy.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

godsrcrazy wrote:
Air Canada form of handling sexual harassment is. Don't hire any young flight attendants. I think they have the attitude we aren't happy unless your unhappy.
Been flying on TCA, later to AC starting in the late 50's up to and including now. From what I can remember(even in the early years), I(we) had pleasant flights no real issues that stick in my mind that I could single out. Flown on everything they have with the exception of A340, B747, L1011 and B787. I know a good many who love WJ and hate AC and won't fly with them unless have to,I never ask why as I don't really care. I have flown WJ as well and is a first rate airline service wise, always was.
:)

justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by justwork »

This thread is about a sexual harassment case, not stock prices and interest rates. Start another thread for that totally unrelated discussion please.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

justwork wrote:This thread is about a sexual harassment case, not stock prices and interest rates. Start another thread for that totally unrelated discussion please.

Done. http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopi ... 4&t=108719

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.

Return to “General Comments”