Ultralight Seaplane Rating

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Ultralight Seaplane Rating

Post by ahramin »

I've never seen an ultralight permit. Do they have the same blanket type rating as the private pilot licence? Something like all land ultralights? I can't find any information on getting an ultralight seaplane rating. Obviously CAR IV has provisions for a seaplane rating for aeroplanes, but it also says for CAR IV aeroplane does not include an ultra-light aeroplane.

So does anyone here have an ultralight licence with a seaplane rating? Or does such a thing not exist and an ultralight is an ultralight regardless of configuration?
---------- ADS -----------

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Ultralight Seaplane Rating

Post by Panama Jack »

Ahramin,

I'll send you a scan of mine later today.

An ultralight permit covers you for all ultralights, regardless of landing gear configuration, unless it is restricted to powered parachutes only. There is no such thing as a "land" or "sea" rating for ultralight aeroplanes.

Nevertheless, common sense dictates that an ultralight aeroplane pilot should get additional training before attempting to fly something on floats, skis, or a different configuration such as a weight-shift control aircraft or a powered parachute, even though the regulations do not specifically require it.

When the CARs talk about "aeroplanes" they do not mean "ultralight aeroplanes".

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
900 HP
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 900 HP »

I noticed that I still have an ultralight instructor permit in my pilot licence. I haven't used it in 20+ years. I'm surprised they did not remove it. Thanks for the update on the rules it's good to know in the event somebody shows up with an ultralight and wants lessons.

Correction: I just took a look at it. It's just a pilot permit. ULP.

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

900HP-

Instructor ratings on ULP's are valid for 5 years and annotated: "FI: to (Year/Month/Date)".

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
marakii
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by marakii »

Panama Jack wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:32 pm Ahramin,

I'll send you a scan of mine later today.

An ultralight permit covers you for all ultralights, regardless of landing gear configuration, unless it is restricted to powered parachutes only. There is no such thing as a "land" or "sea" rating for ultralight aeroplanes.

Nevertheless, common sense dictates that an ultralight aeroplane pilot should get additional training before attempting to fly something on floats, skis, or a different configuration such as a weight-shift control aircraft or a powered parachute, even though the regulations do not specifically require it.

When the CARs talk about "aeroplanes" they do not mean "ultralight aeroplanes".

Happy new year to all and fly safe.

So can you open an advanced ultra plane flight school but only on floats?

There seems to be a few advanced ultralight land schools but can you just teach on floats?

You only need a chief flight instructor for this business or is there additional requirements?

Thank you

tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tps8903 »

If you are interested in opening an UL training facility UPAC.ca has a great book you can buy for a few dollars which outlines the process step by step. It tells you the requirements for.licencing, insurance and TC paperwork etc.

You can also find general answers on their FAQ page.

marakii
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by marakii »

tps8903 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:12 am If you are interested in opening an UL training facility UPAC.ca has a great book you can buy for a few dollars which outlines the process step by step. It tells you the requirements for.licencing, insurance and TC paperwork etc.

You can also find general answers on their FAQ page.
Thank you

marakii
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by marakii »

Is building float time same on a Cessna floatplane and a light sport plane like the CTLS (ultralight) or are they treated different?

I might have access to an amphibian CTLS light sport and build float time hence my question .

Will float operators throw me out of the office if I tell them I have time on a light sport amphibian instead of a 172 is what I'm getting at.

Thanks

Return to “General Comments”