Rex Murphy on Govt Policy toward Bombardier and Jet Fuel

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

single_swine_herder
Rank 7
Rank 7

Rex Murphy on Govt Policy toward Bombardier and Jet Fuel

Post by single_swine_herder »

Very interesting observation on the current government's inconsistent actions with regard to aviation manufacturing.

I like Rex Murphy a great deal. How he survives in the corporate culture atmosphere of the CBC HQ in Toronto is a mystery to me because he is generally completely out of step with the editorial position of the newsroom.

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comme ... s-vilified
---------- ADS -----------

Moose47
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Rex Murphy on Govt Policy toward Bombardier and Jet Fuel

Post by Moose47 »

G'day

Too bad Rex is ready to pull the plug and head to the retirement pasture. He is a voice of reason in a sea of politically correct insanity.

Cheers...Chris

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

+1 if you read his column with his voice in your head.

Too much CCC...

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Not defending BBD because their record is indefensible, but they have a good product here and it would be criminal to throw away all the benefits set to flow from it at the 11th hour just because the oil industry is hurting now. They too benefitted from unnecessary subsidies for many years and were the only industry the previous government showed any interest in at all for ten long years. Their current woes stem solely from the global price of oil which is controlled by other governments and there's not a damn thing ours can do about it, but rest assured the price of oil will go up again. Oil's day in the sun will return and we can continue to give them unnecessary subsidies.

As for Rex's childish barb against environmentalists taking fuel burning airplanes to summits, build them one that doesn't burn fuel and they'll be happy to take it. It's one of many things they're trying to push the world to do after all.....

single_swine_herder
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by single_swine_herder »

Childish barb from Rex Murphy?

He has a very firm grip on reality.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

I like him too for the entertainment value, but did he rant about the oil patch subsidies when money was falling out of the sky for them? No. In fact he's a favoured speaker at oil patch events (likely for a fee) and is a prominent global climate change denier.

And it is a childish comment. How does he expect people to get overseas to press for change at various summits...swim?

Moose47
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Moose47 »

G'day

Perhaps Rex was eluding to private/corporate jets. You know like the type that fraud Al Gore takes.

Cheers...Chris

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Environmental protesters don't travel via private jet. Why do you care if Al Gore is a fraud?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Rockie wrote:
As for Rex's childish barb against environmentalists taking fuel burning airplanes to summits, build them one that doesn't burn fuel and they'll be happy to take it. It's one of many things they're trying to push the world to do after all.....
Build a plane that doesn't burn fuel and we'll all be happy to take it. However, for those environmentalists who want to stop me from using aircraft that do burn fuel, I expect them to be leading the way by example.

I also expect people who campaign for higher taxes to voluntarily pay those higher taxes for which they advocate.

If it's good enough to force upon me, it's good enough for them, now.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

photofly wrote:Build a plane that doesn't burn fuel and we'll all be happy to take it.
So you're an environmentalist then....
photofly wrote: However, for those environmentalists who want to stop me from using aircraft that do burn fuel, I expect them to be leading the way by example.
I haven't heard of those people, where and who are they?

When Manchester was going to build their second runway there was a group of people who camped out in caves on the site to prevent the work and they were successful for some time. But they weren't environmentalists, they could best be described as nimby's or just people who opposed any kind of progress. And if any did describe themselves as environmentalists they weren't about to get on an airplane going anywhere.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Rockie wrote:
photofly wrote:Build a plane that doesn't burn fuel and we'll all be happy to take it.
So you're an environmentalist then....
If that's all it takes.
Rockie wrote:
photofly wrote: However, for those environmentalists who want to stop me from using aircraft that do burn fuel, I expect them to be leading the way by example.
I haven't heard of those people, where and who are they?
Try this bunch.
http://www.planestupid.com/aboutus

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Shady McSly
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Shady McSly »

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Those plane stupid people aren't environmentalists and I can't believe you think they are. They're the NIMBY's and people who oppose any kind of progress I mentioned before WRT Manchester.

How do those guys negate what climate science says anyway? Is NASA a bunch of crack pots?

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

And it is a childish comment. How does he expect people to get overseas to press for change at various summits...swim?
Not childish at all, hes pointing out the obvious hypocracy. Besides there are now fantastic teleconference systems available when you throw dedicated gigs of bandwidth at them via MPLS. They should be pushing companies world wide to use them and leading themselves by not allowing any further climate related conferences except remote. Climate change or not we in buisness/govt/research etc waste far too much time / money / resources travelling and I for one would be happy to give it up.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Hah. Nothing like an envigorating teleconference to sway public opinion and political will. Too funny.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Rockie wrote:Those plane stupid people aren't environmentalists and I can't believe you think they are. They're the NIMBY's and people who oppose any kind of progress I mentioned before WRT Manchester.

How do those guys negate what climate science says anyway? Is NASA a bunch of crack pots?
They think they're environmentalists. That's good enough for me.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Lots of people here think they're climate scientists, but they're not.

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

Rockie wrote:Hah. Nothing like an envigorating teleconference to sway public opinion and political will. Too funny.
Hah! Nothing like hypocracy to sway public opinion. Too sad and out of touch with reality.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

What reality is that? NASA's or the Koch brothers?

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

Rockie wrote:Environmental protesters don't travel via private jet. Why do you care if Al Gore is a fraud?
Leo Decaprio?

http://www.profitconfidential.com/news/ ... te-change/

Return to “General Comments”