A path with purpose

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

A path with purpose

Post by timel »

http://skiesmag.com/news/article/A-path-with-purpose

Is this the way to go or this type of programs will only be available to a few people?
It is funny how difficult it was to be hired by regional airlines and now that the supply is down, how much lowering the bar is easy and not bad for safety.
Actually, is it really lowering the bar? Seems like those highly trained candidates are better than pilots with experience.

From an accountant and training point of view, it will be a lot easier to retain 250 hrs pilots compared to ones with 2000 hours. Also, you can keep on slashing wannabes salaries, while pilots with more hours will be less inclined to accept a pay cut.

Maybe this is just a start, in 4 years regional airlines will be hiring exclusively pilot out of schools... until an other Colgan happens.
---------- ADS -----------

aviatrix444
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: A path with purpose

Post by aviatrix444 »

I'm divided on this one. On one hand, I know a couple of the people who've been selected for this program and are now flying for Jazz, and they truly are the cream of the crop kind of folks. On the other hand, brains can only get you so far, and when the chips are down and the excrement is hitting the fan training can only get you so far... The rest comes from actual butt-in-seat experience.

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

That is why they are hired as First Officers

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

The pilots of Colgan met the new US regional requirements.

Rather than focusing on hours, perhaps we should look at the quality of training.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

In the real world, especially in 702 and 703, I have 2 questions.
1. How many operators have a dedicated or even semi dedicated training staff.
2. How many operators train and/or monitor their training staff.
I kind of like the Jazz program.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

aviatrix444 wrote:I know a couple of the people who've been selected for this program and are now flying for Jazz, and they truly are the cream of the crop kind of folks.

I would be happy to read some real life stories coming from training captains. Candidates coming out of colleges might be more familiar with procedures and SOPs than certain other pilots coming out of the bush, on the other hand, I doubt they are better at flying approaches or handling an aircraft overall.

iflyforpie wrote:
Rather than focusing on hours, perhaps we should look at the quality of training.

We all know this is coming down to the money, colleges are probably offering a better training than the local small flying school down somewhere nobody knows.

I know CQFA is free, but the selection of candidates in the 3 year program is very limited.

How much does it cost to go through the other college programs?

Algonquin College, Confederation College, Mount Royal University, Sault College, Seneca College, and the University of Western Ontario.

oldtimer wrote:In the real world, especially in 702 and 703, I have 2 questions.

1. How many operators have a dedicated or even semi dedicated training staff.

2. How many operators train and/or monitor their training staff.

I kind of like the Jazz program.
Jazz training is definitely much better than any 703. You can call it dedicated training staff in a 703 when they have one pilot that stays longer then 6 months. Exams and trainings are old, some courses aren't even computerized.

Sometimes I am wondering if 703 isn't meant to disappear, swallowed by Transport Canada and other airlines (704-705).

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

What "purpose"?

What "purpose" could there possibly be to this kind of flying? Doing what you're told? Being quiet? Following the script? Blending into the background? Making minimum wage? Wearing polyester? Getting one of those little bags with the wheels?

Go ahead: everyone needs a job. This is a job. Don't try to tell me you have a "purpose". Christ. Wankers.

Go write a song or make some pottery or something if you're looking for a "purpose". God you guys are pussies.

*burp*

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Experience? Pfh, who needs that crap lol

This is what happens when you let folks who can't even fly a J3 make decisions on who goes into the flight deck of a airliner.

Return to “General Comments”