Atawapiskat

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

HiLo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Atawapiskat

Post by HiLo »

For those flying the pop, chips and insulin up in that area, is the situation up there really as bad as they make it seem in the papers? Also, now that the health food charters have been converted to mental health charters, is the aviation business booming?
---------- ADS -----------

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Atawapiskat

Post by lownslow »

YAT is never as bad as the papers make it look. For many reasons it's not a place I'd ever want to live, but the news folks really do pick the worst of it to report on.

pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: ATTAWAPISKAT (spelled with two T's)

Post by pdw »

There's weather records now at CYAT (since last year Feb).

Minus 25.6C at 7am Saturday April 9 2016, Windchill -30C.

Last edited by pdw on Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HiLo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by HiLo »

lownslow wrote:YAT is never as bad as the papers make it look. For many reasons it's not a place I'd ever want to live, but the news folks really do pick the worst of it to report on.
Care to elaborate?

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

lownslow wrote:YAT is never as bad as the papers make it look. For many reasons it's not a place I'd ever want to live, but the news folks really do pick the worst of it to report on.
I'd call a suicide pact of 13 children pretty dire.

anofly
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by anofly »

That is dire. Conditions in general, are shocking, many houses are heavily damaged... .. and housing is in short supply. many live in sheds they have built out beside a house.

HiLo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by HiLo »

Which begs the question: why not move to civilisation?

DSoup
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DSoup »

HiLo wrote:Which begs the question: why not move to civilisation?
If whatever city you were in had one block with shitty conditions (no utilities, runing water or sewers, roads, schools etc), and the government that you paid taxes to told you to either move to the rich part of the city that you couldn't afford to live in or get out - would you be content with that?

I wouldn't

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

Yeah, if I were in their position, I’d likely do that.
Put the house on the market, call the moving van in. Pick up and pack up, lock stock and barrel and move to civilization. Tap into my massive network of contacts there to land that lucrative job. Buy a shiny new house with the proceeds of my old one. Enroll the kids in a nice friendly school where they’re gonna seamlessly fit right in. Just start out fresh. Everything should work out grand!

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Well that solves that. Maybe in your next post you could take care of the Middle East situation....

pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

Yes, there needs to be some good news from there. Hoping the professionals flying up there are able to help.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

DSoup wrote:
If whatever city you were in had one block with shitty conditions (no utilities, runing water or sewers, roads, schools etc), and the government that you paid taxes to told you to either move to the rich part of the city that you couldn't afford to live in or get out - would you be content with that?

I wouldn't
Except they don't pay taxes, we do.

NunavutPA-12
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NunavutPA-12 »

Has anyone on here actually LIVED on a reserve (northern reserve that is - the southern ones are almost "normal")?

I didn't think so.

The media never asks the hard questions of native "leaders". Many of the problems on reserves are self-inflicted and some individuals suffer greatly as a result. Traditional values in a modern world place everyone on the reserve at a disadvantage. There is very little in the way of problem-solving by the community as a whole. Instead it's always a case of asking the feds to "throw more money at the problem". Obviously, that has never worked and never will. Now there will be more money going their way, to be "managed" by the band (since our prime minister has decided on a hands-off management style for tax-payer money). I think the chief will be calling his car dealer to get an up-grade on his newest big truck.

The problems will persist, of course, but the media attention will die down, giving everyone the impression that "well, that worked, everything must be okay now".

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Now I will agree that if indeed kids are actually making these packs, it is a crying shame. But instead of saying how can they do this to themselves, we need to say why hasn't it changed.

Below is a link to Ezra Levant on his coverage of attawapiskat in 2013. Yes he is out there, however he is the ONLY media individual that went on the record and called out the Chiefs of Attawapiskat for there lack of priorities.

Maybe, just maybe if the locals in the community didn't try to run out the auditors and welcomed them and the help that would have come with this we would not have the issues of today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPhzleo-svc

Stu Pidasso
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Stu Pidasso »

You got that right Nunavut, I too have spent more time than I care to remember around places like this. I bet the Chief is a massive crook and this is nothing more than him putting his nose in the bottomless tax trough.

bobcaygeon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bobcaygeon »

It's been +50 years of the same problem.
These places will never become economic centres thus the problems will not go away.
As a right wing supporter I can't believe I am actually agreeing with something Chretien is saying but it's true.

Our recent immigrants whether they be the recent Syrian immigrants or the steady stream of people from South East Asia, are settling in economic centres, not just the major cities, and finding employment and contributing to the local economies. In some cases they are actually "saving " communities that otherwise would be dying from the exodus of "original" Canadians to major centres.
This is not new. Just about every small town in rural Canada has had a restaurant that has a Chinese and Canadian menu.

As for connection to history and the land, I'm pretty confident that Syrians and Filipino immigrants are not moving to Carman, MB because they want be connected to the thousands of years of history from their past. These people are making huge changes in order to improve their lives. I see no difference.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

GyvAir wrote:
Yeah, if I were in their position, I’d likely do that.
Put the house on the market, call the moving van in. Pick up and pack up, lock stock and barrel and move to civilization. Tap into my massive network of contacts there to land that lucrative job. Buy a shiny new house with the proceeds of my old one. Enroll the kids in a nice friendly school where they’re gonna seamlessly fit right in. Just start out fresh. Everything should work out grand!
People do it every day. Leave the small town where there is no work and move to where the work is. Some people move halfway around the world to find a job or better life. Free post-secondary education and with most companies having a quota of non-white males to fill I don't understand still living in these reserves.

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

Has anyone on here actually LIVED on a reserve (northern reserve that is - the southern ones are almost "normal")?
Yes, I have and can write a book about the aboriginal situation that some university professor is clueless about !

Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rookie50 »

crazyaviator wrote:
Yes, I have and can write a book about the aboriginal situation that some university professor is clueless about !

Maybe you should. Maybe we need to read it. Seriously.

Clearwater
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Clearwater »

Actually "they" do in most cases pay taxes. In almost all cases income is only tax exempt for a registered Indian if the work is carried out on a reserve. Considering the amount of on reserve employment available there is not a whole of of tax free earning going on.

Pretty much the only thing that First Nations people have left is their land. It's not the greatest land (thanks to the government) but it is their land.

If you were in those shoes would you be in a big hurry to load up the car and head South in hope of finding the good life?

Spending some time at a reserve airport or living at the pilot house is not quite the same as really living on a reserve. I think that people jump to conclusions about things they don't fully understand. Let's try to drop the stereotype about the Chief with the new truck.

Return to “General Comments”