Multi Block time

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Bradley Tucker
Rank 2
Rank 2

Multi Block time

Post by Bradley Tucker »

Hello all:

How many people would be interested in Multi Block Time in Southern Ontario, and how many hours. myself and a buddy are looking at getting a light Twin and offering block time to help cover the cost.

PM if you are interested and how many hours you would fly?
---------- ADS -----------

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Multi Block time

Post by Cessna 180 »

I might be interested in 20 hrs depending on the cost, location in Southern Ontario, and the time frame you guys get the plane going! IFR equipped would be a must.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Agreed.

S.

cap41
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cap41 »

i'd be in for 15 hours, depending where in the plane is located.

JungianJugular
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JungianJugular »

Bradley Tucker wrote:Hello all:

How many people would be interested in Multi Block Time in Southern Ontario, and how many hours. myself and a buddy are looking at getting a light Twin and offering block time to help cover the cost.

PM if you are interested and how many hours you would fly?
What part of SO?

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

Careful with that Mr Tucker. Don't know if you have ever owned a light twin or dealt with other people renting/using your airplane but talk to as many other people who have as you can. You say you want to offset maintenance cost so you aren't doing this out of a philanthropic bent.

There is a reason there are very few, if any, light twins available for block time bookings, let alone very many that are rented at full rate for solo use. And that reason is that maintenance is very, very costly. And unfortunately most of the people who would be looking to use block time are relatively low experience ME pilots and due to the lack of experience are quite possibly going to increase the maintenance requirements through less than optimum handling.

I'm not saying this to be unkind and I don't mean to denigrate newly minted ME pilots, but that's pretty much the reality of it.

Perhaps wth very careful screening and a large portion of good luck it will work out for you and I hope it does. Should you go through with it and it is successful, it would be great if you would report back and perhaps be a model for others to follow.

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
CreatingLift
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CreatingLift »

5x5 wrote:unfortunately most of the people who would be looking to use block time are relatively low experience ME pilots and due to the lack of experience are quite possibly going to increase the maintenance requirements through less than optimum handling.

I'm not saying this to be unkind and I don't mean to denigrate newly minted ME pilots, but that's pretty much the reality of it.
I agree that that is like the reality of the situation but doesn't a twin fly the same (under normal circumstances) as a SE a/c as long as you move both throttles/prop/mixture controls together? Are the light twins we're talking about difficult to fly or does this point to other issues? What trouble do these pilots get into after obtaining the ME rating? Not accidents specifically, but things that would increase the cost of maintenance for the owner.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

I agree there is a greater risk in lending out your twin machine, as most single engine aircraft up for block time don't have turbos and the motors are smaller and cheaper(ishh).

The vast majority of twins that likely would be blocktimed do have turbos and retractable gear, and will inevitably require more care in their operation.

I think however the restrictions to meet insurance minimums as they will want to keep their premiums low, will likely keep most ME blocktimers on the high time compared to your normal 250hr commercial blocktimers.

Curious to see what they find for equipment.

S.

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

5x5 wrote:Careful with that Mr Tucker. Don't know if you have ever owned a light twin or dealt with other people renting/using your airplane but talk to as many other people who have as you can. You say you want to offset maintenance cost so you aren't doing this out of a philanthropic bent.

There is a reason there are very few, if any, light twins available for block time bookings, let alone very many that are rented at full rate for solo use. And that reason is that maintenance is very, very costly. And unfortunately most of the people who would be looking to use block time are relatively low experience ME pilots and due to the lack of experience are quite possibly going to increase the maintenance requirements through less than optimum handling.

Perhaps wth very careful screening and a large portion of good luck it will work out for you and I hope it does. Should you go through with it and it is successful, it would be great if you would report back and perhaps be a model for others to follow.
Yep. Wise words

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
ghazanhaider
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ghazanhaider »

Adding to this: I'd be interested in block times but not anytime soon (not in the next 1-2 years).

When I do, it will likely be in multiple 10-hour blocks. I've flown to Bahamas, Mexico and warmer parts of USA and want to take more people with me while building the hours. So beside cost it will also depend on availability for a week at a time.

Ghazan

Return to “General Comments”