Porter Talking about YTZ-YQA

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Lotro
Rank 4
Rank 4

Porter Talking about YTZ-YQA

Post by Lotro »

Saw this little gem on the Globe and Mail about Porter discussing running a seasonal sked service from the island to Muskoka.

http://goo.gl/fSZNP0

My guess is that the math will never work, but I like the idea that people are trying to make something happen. If I won a Powerball Lottery I'd buy a DC3 and run a summer seasonal sked from Toronto to Muskoka just because. Of course, I recognize that after year one, I'd be bankrupt, but hey, it'd fun, wouldn't it?

Whatever happened to the talk of commuter flying service from Hamilton to Toronto?

What's also disconcerting in the article is the mention that the Muskoka airport is a money losing operation... that's never good. I'd hate to see another small airport come under attack
---------- ADS -----------

NAT2
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Porter Talking about YTZ-YQA

Post by NAT2 »

The Niagara Region has been pitching YSN-YTZ service lately too. 8 minute commute to downtown doesn't sound too bad if you could afford it!

Also, can I have a job at your Dc-3 Muskoka Flying service?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Any new commercial operator into CYTZ is going to have a fine time getting slots. And then negotiating rates for gates and handling with Porter.

If someone wants to run a shuttle service CYTZ - KBUF (10 mins across the lake), using the new pre clearance facilities at CYTZ, now that would sell. But, like I said, good luck with the negotiations.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

YTZ - YSN (10 min)
YSN - YQA/YQA - YSN [SN to/from YQA 5min flight-time past YTZ]
YSN - YTZ (15 min)

YSN = Niagara Falls Ca

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

Lotro wrote:Saw this little gem on the Globe and Mail about Porter discussing running a seasonal sked service from the island to Muskoka.

http://goo.gl/fSZNP0

My guess is that the math will never work, but I like the idea that people are trying to make something happen. If I won a Powerball Lottery I'd buy a DC3 and run a summer seasonal sked from Toronto to Muskoka just because. Of course, I recognize that after year one, I'd be bankrupt, but hey, it'd fun, wouldn't it?

Whatever happened to the talk of commuter flying service from Hamilton to Toronto?

What's also disconcerting in the article is the mention that the Muskoka airport is a money losing operation... that's never good. I'd hate to see another small airport come under attack
Trans Canada Airlines ran a summer sked from Toronto to Muskoka using DC-3's in the summers of 1953-54.

AP

BeechjetYKZ
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BeechjetYKZ »

The only possible way I can people taking this service is 1) they work downtown and are being met by their family who took the car up north or 2) You are hosting guests who are connecting through YTZ from somewhere else in the Porter network. Logically the whole "I don't want to sit in traffic so we'll fly up every weekend" idea won't work unless you can have a car parked at YQA and potentially another in downtown Toronto. Cottage country is so vast and there are many different places people have cottages, it's not going to be as straight forward as flying to/from Tremblant would be. To me it sounds simpler than it actually would be.

Nothing cleans a dirty plane like 100LL!
JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

What's interesting about this idea is that the flight would only be up on thursday night and back down on Sunday. I could definitely see there being a market for people who want to get up to cottage country but don't want to deal with bumper to bumper traffic from downtown until the 11 turn off past Barrie. 20 Years ago when my family had a cottage up on Lake of Bays, it would sometimes take an extra 2 - 3 hours on that stretch. While I don't think you're going to get Mom, Dad, the kids and the dog taking Porter instead of loading up the mini-van, I can definitely see Dad going up to visit the rest of the family for the weekend or the teenage/grown-up kids visiting the retired parents for the weekend. Now is that enough to sustain a profitable service?

rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

Anyone remember COLLAIR operated by Collingwood Air Service way back in the late 70's?
Ran YTZ-YQA, YVV and CNY3 with a pair Twin Otters for a short period.

pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

I could definitely see there being a market for people who want to get up to cottage country but don't want to deal with bumper to bumper traffic from downtown until the 11 turn off past Barrie.
Traffic piles up south of TO already; it's a 'one and a half hour' trip to/from TO/SN, sometimes longer. When Canal bridges are raised or SN-Skyway blocked / traffic-jammed, YSN/NiagFalls is on a real island, with water on all sides. Going via YSN brings Cottage Country & City Centre to the 7th wonder and reciprocal, enough demand to sell out easier. These 3 are seldom congested to/from their terminals via local transportation, so a busy Muskoka and Niagara airside immediately boosts those types of businesses nearby.

Quick turnaround pax loading/unloading for these 10-35min enroutes becomes an expensive (more time-consuming) portion of each leg, where efficiency matters most. It's in the best interests of a local government/airport-authority to commit their full support for something like that to work well.

BingBong
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by BingBong »

Doesn't cloud air already do this on th caravan?

pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

As far as we're told here in NF / YSN it's never per seat, only by chartering the aircraft (which I've heard Porter can do).

lucien_kane
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lucien_kane »

Hi
Just a quick question. I was just informed I was added to the porter hiring pool. What does that mean exactly?
Also what are the requirements for FO?

Notta Simfalt
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Notta Simfalt »

lucien_kane wrote:Hi
Just a quick question. I was just informed I was added to the porter hiring pool. What does that mean exactly?
Also what are the requirements for FO?
There's a whole Porter forum under Airlines. It should have what you're looking for.

Badges? We don't need no steenkin badges!
schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

I feel like this seasonal route would be run at cost or loss, but Porter is doing well in other markets, so visibility and marketing will likely be all this is for.

They are making the most of those Qs I guess.

S.

Return to “General Comments”