Navair Looses DHL contract.....Resulting in numerous layoffs

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

colonel lingus
Rank 1
Rank 1

Navair Looses DHL contract.....Resulting in numerous layoffs

Post by colonel lingus »

at least 15 layoffs happend this week as Navair lost one of thier major contracts. Not looking good for good ole' boys.
---------- ADS -----------

marktheone
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by marktheone »

Lost DHL to who??

Lommer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Lommer »

Damn.... Now who's going to hire all those guys with a freshly purchased PPC?

*ducks*

Out of Control
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Out of Control »

They could always go to Regency. HEHE

Say again, your coming in stupid
. .
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by . . »

Was the DHL contract based in BC or was that the new one they had in YYC?

colonel lingus
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by colonel lingus »

Yup, the layoffs are in Vancouver. Apparently the number of layoffs is around 20. Haven't heard who they lost it to. DHL must not of liked their service.

marktheone
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by marktheone »

I heard last night that they may be going under. This from a pilot who flies for them and was part of the layoffs. Too bad, couple of maintenance things is all it takes to cause that.

The problem in aviation could be solved in one day. Do not change ticket prices and get the goddamn government to lower fuel taxes combined with more reasonable landing fees.

Yoyoma
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Yoyoma »

You can say whatever you want about Navair, it is still sad to see this happen! Many pilots got their start there.

Image In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield...W. Buffett
. .
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by . . »

Does anyone know who got the contract?

Over the Horn
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Over the Horn »

Good to see! maybe DHL wised up to that shady operation. hopefully the contract went to a good company that pays their pilots a fair wage and has well maintained aircraft! dammit, I forgot that doesn't exist on the west coast :roll: nevermind

bob sacamano
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bob sacamano »

Heard the rumor 2 weeks ago from a DHL source. For once the rumor was true.

:smt109
SkyKing
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by SkyKing »

Yes they lost the contract.....

All but two MU2's and five navajo's have been grounded by transport in YVR.

Word is "Sonic Blue" is scrambling to buy planes. They are picking up some of the slack right now.

. .
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by . . »

i find it crazy that regency could be spared the axe if navair got it. Maybe they're next.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Memo to DHL management.

Remember in business school , the old management maxim; TINSTAFL (There Is No Such Thing As A Free Lunch).

With a bottom feeding gong show like "Sonic Blue" you are going to get exactly what you (did not) pay for. :roll:

I predict NAVAIR will have all the runs back in less than 6 months.

Over the Horn
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Over the Horn »

Navair or Sonic blue, not much difference. one doesn't pay much and the other doesn't pay at all, both have sh@#ty planes, its about time TC started cracking down on these gong shows, hope DHL give's some real thought to who gets the contract next.

. .
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by . . »

I totally feel for the guys out of work on one hand, but also am glad to see TC FINALLY cracking down out west. Hopefully we'll see a much safer operation out there.

On a second note: Is NavAir still grounded in YYC or are things still going full speed out there?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

-

Last edited by altiplano on Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
bumffs
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bumffs »

How expensive is paint in bc these days?
You would think with all that salt air ,that corrosion protection would be high on the list of things to do ,but i guess once you get on the backside of the maintenance curve it is just a matter of time before the end.
Many pilots may have got their start there but how many met their end there ?
Now that the grieving family members of air accidents are inclined to sue for damage's against Transport Canada for Failing to enforce the Law of the Land expect more enforcement.Perhaps even some Jail time if they can prove criminal neglegence after all the CARS are supposed to be backed by the Criminal Code.
You will note that the original W& B documents state how much the paint
weighs if the paint is not on the airplane then the documents are wrong and the aircraft is not airworthy,unless it is reweighed and the AME can sign that the paint has been removed by the some Enviromental Process :wink:

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

The problem with holding contracts in the courier game is the courier companies will drop any company as soon as another company offers them an airplane for two cents an hour less.

Of all the flying I ever did courier was the worst, I have great admiration for any pilot who can survive that kind of flying...safety can not be achieved by going with the lowest bidder....

So lets not gloat to much about Navair going under or having issues with TC.

What really goes on in the background is real scary, anyhow to all you guys and gals that may be unemployed you have my sympathy and I hope you get back to work real soon.

Cat

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

I have been on the sidlines of many courier contracts in the past. On the sidelines, as in flying the contracts but not actually in the head shed doing contract negotations and I know for a fact that the major reason most contracts end has less to do with lack of service but more the shifting fortunes of the small package delivery systems. As the business changes and volume shifts, companies shift airplanes and routes around. Many times they will replace contract or ad hoc charters with either larger airplanes or their own machines. DHL bought Airborne Express and the work is constantly shifting. They are trying to outcompete Fedex and UPS. That is life in the freight business. Some companies can survive and some cannot. All of NavAir's Calgary airplanes are still parked on the ramp in YYC. Monday will tell the story.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

Return to “General Comments”