Expecting a baby but want to be a pilot

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

hydrographer2004
Rank 0
Rank 0

Expecting a baby but want to be a pilot

Post by hydrographer2004 »

Hi everyone,

I was all ready and set to start my PPL/CPL training next year in Calgary to start the long road to becoming a commercial airline pilot.

Last week I found out I was 5 weeks pregnant :rolleyes: which is exciting but scary at the same time.

Obviously this puts things on hold for a while. I guess I could start training towards the end of 2017 but now I have doubts...

This is something I have wanted to do for years, I'm not getting any younger (28) and my husband is fully supportive of it.

My questions are would this be a really irresponsible thing to do? I don't want to pay for the training, have no money and no job at the end of it.

We love travel and would be happy to move for the first job but with a young baby/child in tow would this be madness?

Has any one else done this?

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Liftdump
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Expecting a baby but want to be a pilot

Post by Liftdump »

YES

aviatrix444
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by aviatrix444 »

I know plenty of Ladyaviators with families. One of my instructors at flight school didn't start flying until she was into her 30's, and had 2 older children and 1 in diapers. I know I'd kind of given up the idea of kids and family when I was initially going through my training, but awesome women like her showed me I didn't necessarily have to give up one to have the other.

Instructing would be a fantastic avenue for you while your new little bundle of joy is young. It's one of the few ways you'll be home every night early in your career. Instructing has it's ups and downs and many of the threads in this forum will tell you, but I've seen first hand instructors managing a decent work/life balance with young families. Planning on instructing at the school you train at is also the best way to ensure yourself a job after graduation. Just remember that from your first day at the school, you're interviewing for future employment!

If this is really what you'd like to do, then don't let anything get in your way. Will you be working UN contracts in Africa for months at a time, or saving sick scientists in Antarctica? (until your kids get a bit older at least)Probably not... But if that's not what you had in mind long term anyway, then you're not missing out on anything :)

Good luck, and congrats!

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

Congratulations! And trust me this actually an asset for entering aviation!

By the time you get to it you will already be used to having no money, used to endless shit, and used listening to the incessant crying and whining of others.

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
frog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by frog »

It is a lot easier to move around for jobs when the kids are not in school yet. So i’d do it rather sooner than later.

MrWings
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by MrWings »

niss wrote:Congratulations! And trust me this actually an asset for entering aviation!

By the time you get to it you will already be used to having no money, used to endless shit, and used listening to the incessant crying and whining of others.
This is the best response. Early on, even if you have a job, you will still have no money.

lazyeight
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by lazyeight »

Maybe work on your PPL now, have that... then take a bit of time off when you have your baby. Rent a bit here and there when they area few months old, build a bit of time. Then when they are the age you feel OK leaving them with a sitter regularly go finish your CPL. You could be done fairly fast.

hydrographer2004
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by hydrographer2004 »

Thanks for all the replies - nice to hear that it is do-able!

cfall
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cfall »

While it is doable, I think people are doing a you a disservice to not point out the difficulties. Getting a commercial license is difficult for anyone one and doing it on little sleep is even harder And possibly dangerous. (Yes fatigue kills as can pregnancy brain). If you make it through flight school you now face the challenge of finding a job and building hours. Ask any 200 hour wonder out there, it's hard. Harder still if you are a female. I personally have been told by business owners that they have a policy against hiring female pilots. One place told me that if a plane broke while I was flying it would be because I was a female. Even places that I have worked have had so few females that they don't have uniforms that fit over a girls hips and goodness know if you get pregnant they have no clue what to do with you. So say you are one of the "lucky ones" who manages to land that first job and does build hours. Is your husband going to be willing to move again in a couple years so you can gain experience on bigger, faster machines. Most pilots I know work at least a couple places between their first job and airlines. And once you get there are you going to be ok with leaving husband and kiddo for multi day pairings?
Once again I'm not saying it can't be done just that it is a super long hard road and that I've seen way to many females spend 40 grand plus on an education to drop out and raise kids. Nothing is wrong with raising kids, I just wish more people would be willing to talk about the challenges before blindly encouraging people to spend money.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

cfall wrote:Nothing is wrong with raising kids, I just wish more people would be willing to talk about the challenges before blindly encouraging people to spend money.
Sorry, are we talking about becoming a pilot or having children? 'Cause both require a shedload of money. :lol:

I think the key variable in the original poster's question is actually the partner: his ability to contribute financially, his job mobility, and general tolerance of the uh...unique challenges...of the aviation profession.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
rolly117
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rolly117 »

people now adays that are successful in aviation and living the dream have no children
career first and family don't matter, they are selfish, I know plenty of women and men that are successful and have no family, most have dogs and in my opinion it is the norm and its hard when you are on the other side of the fence.
Aviation takes a lot of you and I can't think of any profession that is demanding like aviation
A/C fly 24/7 and they don't care who or what your situation is, you must go no matter what, or they will get someone else to do it
There are plenty of people in line and they will back stab and do you wrong
You will find people in aviation are so selfish and back stabers to out do you
Its like racing team trying to get in the fastest plane
Its the worst profession you could possibly get in if you want to raise bambinos
Try something like a heath care and it will be more friendly to your family life and it will pay better
Your EGO has got a hold of you be carful what you wish for
Fly something on your days off to quench your thirst

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

A complete generalization. A little bitter, perhaps? I'm sorry if you have encountered some ladder-climbers, perhaps people who have done so at your expense. But those types exist in all professions and walks of life. You have to learn how to deal with them.

It's true that putting career first and choosing not to have kids will probably make for an easier path. But I've seen people who've been able to balance their aviation career with having a family. It's much like any high-level, demanding profession such as law or medicine - you will have to make some compromises on both sides. Occasionally as a the parent, occasionally as the pilot. But if it was easy everyone would do it.

I still say it comes down to how well things work with the partner. If you have the right person, pretty much anything is possible. I totally disagree that flying has to be relegated to a hobby just because you have a family. As some have pointed out, the fact that this lady's family is starting at the same time as her flying career could be an advantage. Kids don't really care where they live for the first few years of their life as long as they have their parents!

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

I would personally advise on waiting before you make a commitment to aviation as a career. See how the baby thing goes: it will change your life and it will put strain on your couple. See, after the baby is born, how your husband like taking care of the baby by himself as your job will require you to be away, sometimes a lot.

Rolly117: Bitter? I have what most everybody would say is a succesful aviation career and I have a family that is fully supportive. I can balance work/family just fine.

Going for the deck at corner
JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

If you enjoy flying get your PPL anyways and start working on it. Decide later about how far you want to take it after the little one arrives.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

As has been mentioned, if I were you I would get a private pilots license and enjoy the occasional trip around the patch with the family on a nice day.
Having a child will totally change your current priorities and goals to the extent that you can not fathom until it is experienced.
Resume your training later if it still fits your lifestyle.

Keep the dirty side down.
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

hydrographer2004 wrote:Thanks for all the replies - nice to hear that it is do-able!
Call; Canadian Women In Aviation, or look up their local chapter, they will probably be of tremendous help to you.

http://cwia.ca/

http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewforum.php?f=57 might be helpful as well, I wouldn't know, I'm not equipped to gain permission to enter.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Its a tough call. is it do able? yes. is it going to be very hard? yes.
Having 2 small kids myself, and Im at the airline level I can say the kids require/deserve all of you. Aviation requires a lot as well, more so then most careers when it comes to demands of your time.
Things to consider: where do you live? what does your partner do? is his job transferable? do you have family that can help out? if not the financial resources to hire a nanny?
do you have the money required to get trained?

What you have going for you is your timing. The industry is looking at a pilot shortage, and there are fewer pilots being trained. I recently worked with a 25 year old FO at Westjet, so time to get to the airline level is reducing. 1500 hours "can" (doesn't mean will) land you a regional job, and the majors are leaning toward flow through agreements to meet future hiring demands.
Let me point out not everyone makes it to the airline level. either bad luck, poor skills (flying OR interviewing), or not wanting to go that route. There are many career opportunities here. You may find you love living in Whitehorse flying a twin otter for a living. You may like instructing, who knows.

I would caution starting your training until you can dedicate yourself fully to it. it'll end up saving you money in the long run. What you could do instead is get a job at a local school or FBO, make contacts and get a feel for aviation. Dip your toe in the water to test it. Meanwhile read and study the material for your PPL/CPL so when the time comes you can blast through the training and you have paid your dues all at once.

I will say this, as a parent your life is about to change in ways you cannot fathom. Its the greatest hardest thing you'll do. its going to test you, your marriage and your priorities will change. In the end flying while fun becomes just a job. Just make sure its what you really want to do, and if it is then do it.
Just understand its no cake walk.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

AuxBatOn wrote:See, after the baby is born, how your husband like taking care of the baby by himself as your job will require you to be away, sometimes a lot.
Female flight attendants and their husbands have been doing this and "managing" quite well for decades.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

Becauss one does it doesn't mean in her particular situation it'll be something feasible.

Going for the deck at corner
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

hydrographer2004, despite what some people believe there is only a guarantee of one life.

If you really have the desire to fly do it.

You can always find a way around any problem so go for it.

Better to have done it and have the satisfaction of the enjoyment than not do t and always wonder what you missed..

By the way gender has SFA to do with being able to fly for a living.

My best teachers were female instructors...

. E.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.

Return to “General Comments”