Question About Bonds

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Re: Question About Bonds

Post by Old fella »

Tip off the CRA, if individuals have to pay back monies on training bonds well that is income that company has to show, especially if said company is writing off your training as a deduction on their business tax requirements. Who knows, maybe some of these less that stellar operations are doing things on the business end that may raise eyebrows from the CRA audit Division especially if trends are noticed. Just saying

:shock:
---------- ADS -----------

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

I bought a new truck yesterday and the dealer did all the stuff, changed the plates, did the transfer, did a walkaround and told me how the doodads worked but the finance guy was busy. The sales manager shook my hand and waved me off and wished me luck. They only had my deposit cheque!
There was no expectation on my part that they were giving me a free truck. When I pointed out that they did not have my cheque yet, they were embarrassed and quickly relieved me of my dosh.

Phone the company or better yet, visit them and take your chequebook. You have to honour your debt. Pay it off and move on.

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

I don't think there is anyone out there that thinks bonds as they have evolved are a great thing. They are always one sided and take advantage of the green pilot who will do or sign anything for a job. We have to admit to shooting ourselves in the foot and giving the employers the idea in the first place. Sadly they, the employers got caught up in the same greed as pilots who jumped ship after training.

If this idea is to remain and i think it will bonds should be turned more into contracts. Protection for both parties is paramount. Pilots need protection from the "bad"guys out there who want your souls and expect you to work illegally if need be to get the job done. Right now if one challenges the wording you are just refused employment. There is also the issue of inflated training costs. What happens if you already are qualified on type. These are all questions that never seem to be addressed. There has to be a better system or at least a more fair way of doing this.

Maybe if all carriers refused to hire anyone who has worked less that 2 years for any given company. This is now made more difficult by companies who insist on pilots bonding for all upgrades on different types. That is criminal and is certainly a WTF moment.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

And, they don't want to contact the company because if they honestly did fall through the cracks, they don't want to remind the company that there are outstanding bonds that can be collected.
And they wonder WHY the industry has bonds ,,,,,PAY your F______ bills

Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rookie50 »

To those complaining about bonds, honouring contracts, the companies that require them, and how horrible every employer is: -- one thought:

(I'm not talking about the unsafe operators. Do your homework -- no one forces anyone to accept work in the first place with such (minority of) employers).

Start - your - own - company! --- and see how easy it is on the other side.

No, won't do it?

Sorry, but the sheer entitlement attitude out there -- in every industry I might add -- is troubling for the remnant of free enterprise society left.

Back to the NFL game....

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

Rookie50 wrote:To those complaining about bonds, honouring contracts, the companies that require them, and how horrible every employer is: -- one thought:

(I'm not talking about the unsafe operators. Do your homework -- no one forces anyone to accept work in the first place with such (minority of) employers).

Start - your - own - company! --- and see how easy it is on the other side.

No, won't do it?

Sorry, but the sheer entitlement attitude out there -- in every industry I might add -- is troubling for the remnant of free enterprise society left.

Back to the NFL game....
Jetsgo anybody.................

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

DHC-1 Jockey wrote:I just thought of another scenario to turn this issue on its head and take it away from the divisive aviation/bond context.

Say you're renovating your house and come across a box with $10,000 in it which isn't yours. It could have been the previous owners or the owners before that; there's no way to tell. (Yes, there's dates on the money but for this case say the house was bought and sold several times over a short period of time so it could be any one of the several recent owners' money).

Do you contact the previous owners who might then take it as theirs even though it might have been someone else's, or do you look at it as a lucky windfall and keep quiet, hoping the previous owner(s) don't come calling one day asking about a box of money?
Oh, you just thought of the exact scenario as in the novel "Capital" by John Lanchester? :lol: As noted this example has zero parallel to the one in question.

To these people saying "honour your effing contract, pay your bills", etc...did the contract stipulate that it was the responsibility of the bonded to provide the administration of said bond? I doubt it.

Set the money aside, move on. If one day the issue arises again, deal with it: pay it if still legally bound, don't if not. The legal time provisions for a company to collect on a bond are more than generous.

If a company isn't going to be professional enough to have some clear, timely communication, they get what they deserve.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

My motto from years back and combined experiences. Complex nailed it well.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=loo ... ORM=VDFSRV

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

"Looking out for number one" also includes protecting your honour, which includes going through with agreements you signed even when they don't work out perfectly for you.

However, I do not give money away until I receive a bill or an invoice. I too agree with those who advocate putting the money aside, or at least to start saving it up. You will be gambling that they don't send you the bill, but you are gambling with house money. Worst case scenario: you will be compelled to live up to your obligations. Best case: the debt will be forgotten about and you will have some money saved, that will be all the sweeter if you aren't counting on it for anything. But it's not yours and you don't deserve it. You may however get to keep it anyway. Those are good odds, and not too dishonourable. But planning on keeping it right from the start: that's dishonourable.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

So a roofer comes to your house and you enter into a contract with his company to shingle your roof. He does his job to your satisfaction and he presents an invoice. Two years go by and you have not received a call from his secretary or him,,,,,,, do you 1) keep quiet, (Like the entitlement idiots are doing here on avcanada) 2) Send the asked for $$$ in the mail 3) call him or his secretary up and hope he/she has either forgotten or has forgiven you of your debts?

Complex--- Give your head a shake !!!

An agreement is an agreement its not rocket science You agree to stay X amount of time and the company agrees to train you on their aircraft. If the company doesnt train you ,,, you get your $$$ back. If the Pilot jumps ship for greener pastures, the pilot is to pay ( prorated or in full ) the amount in the agreement.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

crazyaviator wrote:So a roofer comes to your house and you enter into a contract with his company to shingle your roof. He does his job to your satisfaction and he presents an invoice. Two years go by and you have not received a call from his secretary or him,,,,,,, do you 1) keep quiet, (Like the entitlement idiots are doing here on avcanada) 2) Send the asked for $$$ in the mail 3) call him or his secretary up and hope he/she has either forgotten or has forgiven you of your debts?
What if they didn't ask for it?

With your medical, do you wait for the bill? Or just send the $55 the same day the doctor stamps the booklet?
If I were in the described situation, I'd be happy to pay the bill. I would just need to see the the bill first!

Put the money in a savings account, leave it there until the company doesn't exist anymore. If they collect, then great. If they don't, use it towards retirement.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

Are new hires at Jazz, WJ encore, Porter, AC Express required to sign bonds as a prerequisite for employment. How about charter airlines like AT, Sunwing etc. Ditto Northern ops CDN North, First Air, I would assume bonds are in place for small time ops like Keystone and the like.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

crazyaviator wrote:So a roofer comes to your house and you enter into a contract with his company to shingle your roof. He does his job to your satisfaction and he presents an invoice. Two years go by and you have not received a call from his secretary or him,,,,,,, do you 1) keep quiet, (Like the entitlement idiots are doing here on avcanada) 2) Send the asked for $$$ in the mail 3) call him or his secretary up and hope he/she has either forgotten or has forgiven you of your debts?

Complex--- Give your head a shake !!!

An agreement is an agreement its not rocket science You agree to stay X amount of time and the company agrees to train you on their aircraft. If the company doesnt train you ,,, you get your $$$ back. If the Pilot jumps ship for greener pastures, the pilot is to pay ( prorated or in full ) the amount in the agreement.
Again, an incorrect parallel. According to the poster, the whole point is the company in question has not "presented an invoice" for the training bond. I'm not advocating "waiting and hoping the company will forget". I'm saying the onus is NOT on a customer to harangue a business into billing them. The company needs to get it's sh$t together. Sorry, but as a departing employee that's not my problem. I'd earmark the funds and pay in full promptly if they send the bill. But in the meantime I've got other things to worry about rather than my previous company's accounting ineptitude. That's just how I see it. You do your job, I'll do mine. I'm not doing yours for you.

I have always honoured every contract and agreement I have entered into - whether they were formal legal contracts or handshake deals. But those agreements presumed a basic level of professionalism and responsibility on both sides. There is a limit to which I will chase a company to get them to take my money. This is not "entitlement", it's called common sense.

Meatservo expressed it well.

Incidentally, the one way your example anecdote does resemble the Canadian aviation industry is that the roofer has probably not billed you because it's some dodgy fly-by-night operation that's long since gone out of business. In that regard, the analogy fits. :lol:

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

I have always honoured every contract and agreement I have entered into - whether they were formal legal contracts or handshake deals.
Then why are you advocating to them not to honour their contract or agreement. Sounds hypocritical !

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

The replies on here remind me of the COMMON saying " If I get my ass down safely, my passengers will also survive" What kind of a selfish, unloving, uncaring twit would say that ? Ah yes, I forgot,,,MOST pilots!! Same ones who would try to WEASEL out of a bond when the other party lived up to their expectation and you didn't !!! IF you were so desperate to sign/agree to a bond, are you likely as selfish and unprincipled to weasel away from it ???

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

If you steal from your neighbour and the neighbour doesn't come to you to demand the stolen items back, do the items then become your possession eternally? When you enter an agreement (bond) and the other party gives you the goods ( like a toy from canadian tire) and you walk out the door without paying ,,,that is called THEFT !

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

And, they don't want to contact the company because if they honestly did fall through the cracks, they don't want to remind the company that there are outstanding bonds that can be collected.
The REASON WHY bonds were instituted was because assholes like your buddies, in the past, jumped ship shortly after being given free training..... Now your buddies agreed to a bond and have shown that they are not integral and are the very reason bonds were instituted!!!
Instead of a lawyer's advice, I would suggest the advice of a SHRINK to get their heads screwed back on the right way !!!

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

crazyaviator wrote:The replies on here remind me of the COMMON saying " If I get my ass down safely, my passengers will also survive" What kind of a selfish, unloving, uncaring twit would say that ? Ah yes, I forgot,,,MOST pilots!!
??How is that selfish, unloving, uncaring?? You've said this same thing a coupla times in other threds, and I don't get where your coming from?

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

crazyaviator,

I suppose it fits the name, but perhaps check your meds...we can practically hear you screaming at the keyboard even without the caps lock.

It doesn't matter how many inapplicable analogies you offer - it's still incumbent on the company payroll people to Do Their Damn Job and serve the remaining bond amount to the departing employee. If you find yourself in this scenario and want to spend your time chasing your former employer to give them money that they've shown no interest in collecting, feel free. Moi, not so much.

Out.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

If you find yourself in this scenario and want to spend your time chasing your former employer to give them money that they've shown no interest in collecting, feel free. Moi, not so much.
For as long as you're a rich dude and can drop a $20k cheque any day you like there's no point in "chasing" your former employee. Pay whenever they ask and until then forget it.

But the OP has this apparently insurmountable problem of a pot of someone else's money sitting in his bank that he wants to spend on himself.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.

Return to “General Comments”