North Wright airways

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

flyfasttakechances
Rank 1
Rank 1

North Wright airways

Post by flyfasttakechances »

I've been talked into the idea of flying up north upon graduation (also having the job requirments). Does anyone have insight about North Wright Airways? Ramp time, actual flying information etc. Or if anyone knows any other carriers up that way. any information would be greatly appreciated!
---------- ADS -----------

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: North Wright airways

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

My info is a little dated, but last time I heard what the ramp pay was, it would take you 6 months just to earn enough money to buy a plane ticket back out, and that was if you didn't eat.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
Slats
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Slats »

No first hand info, but it seems to me you'd be hard pressed to find a place where you could progress faster. VFR, IFR, piston, turbine, single, twin, gravel, floats, mountain..... pretty quality experience too, IMO.
Oh, and let's not do like most newbies and forget about all that PIC time, since you'll likely want an ATPL at some point.
You'll probably find some folks with bad things to say about NWA, but you could do a lot "worse" at a lot of places that on the surface might seem "better."

PointyEngine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by PointyEngine »

From what I know, its a tough place to cut your teeth, but will get you a first flying job. Pay is brutal, and be prepared to spend a lot of time in Fly in only communities with a 206/7. The "savings bond" scheme they run is a bit rough as well, and from memory you have to be there 4 years before they release it back to you. (They effectively withhold a portion of your paycheck each month). Company sounds like upgrades are dominated by internal politics. One pilot from there said he'd recommend knee pads for any one pilots wanting to progress through the ranks...

In saying this, most of the guys I know from NWA have got job with 705 carriers now and made some great friends, but would be happy to never see the place again!

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

Unless you'd rather spend 2-3 years on the ramp elsewhere, NWA is the place to be. Work hard, do what you're told, don't complain, and be a team player and you'll be flying within a year. Good opportunities for Caravan time and B99 and 1900D pic time after a few years if you can stick it out. Very good, enjoyable northern flying experience to be gained. It can be a fun place to work with a great group of hard-working people, despite the small, isolated place Norman Wells is. Pay isn't high initially but it rarely is, and housing is company provided, so big savings there. People do save money up here, buy bikes, quads, or sleds to rip around on, don't worry about that. Sure you will miss the amenities and convenience of living down south, and your old friends and family, but you're getting a pretty authentic northern experience that most people will never get.

krrave
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by krrave »

Have the response posters any experience flying in NWT ?

porcsord
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by porcsord »

krrave wrote: Have the response posters any experience flying in NWT ?
The short answer is "yes", and I suspect well over 10k between a couple of them that I know.

krrave
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by krrave »

d

krrave
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by krrave »

porcsord wrote:
The short answer is "yes", and I suspect well over 10k between a couple of them that I know.
I was just hoping to pick their brain. Do operators up north give many opportunities to fresh 200 hour pilots? I want to do a road trip but want to know which areas to hit hard. Will a single engine instrument rating be worthwhile achieving?

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

krrave wrote:
porcsord wrote:
I was just hoping to pick their brain. Do operators up north give many opportunities to fresh 200 hour pilots? I want to do a road trip but want to know which areas to hit hard. Will a single engine instrument rating be worthwhile achieving?
I single engine ifr rating at 200 hours isn't worth the paper it is printed on. There are Very few single engine commercial ifr aircraft, of those, very few are operated 2-crew. Have a look at the requirements for single-pilot ifr, and until you get there, save your money for kd.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
Slats
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Slats »

If it were me, I'd focus heavily on either of the two operators in Simpson or NWA in The Wells. Northwestern in YSM or Tindi in YZF would also be decent options but may be slower progression.
A single engine IFR isn't much use, IMO. I guess you could use it for the Caravan once you meet SPIFR requirements, but then you'll be limiting yourself and unable to fly Navajo, Twin Otter, 99 or 1900. In Simpson you can get by without an IFR if you so choose (again you're limiting yourself), but I'm not sure if NWA will hire you without it. Operators in YZF almost certainly will not.

Return to “General Comments”