Embry Riddle or other US university for aviation degree

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Rank 1
Rank 1

Embry Riddle or other US university for aviation degree

Post by 1053857 »

I'm fortunate enough to already have the career I want at a major airline here in Canada, but I never completed university and I want to have that higher level of education (for personnal satisfaction, potential careers moves, etc.). I was looking into some of the online bachelors degrees that ERAU provides and was curious of what kind of "weight" those degrees have here in Canada. I mean, a bachelors is bachelors right, regardless of field of study? And from what I know, an American bachelors has the same equivalent as a Canadian.

ERAU has a pretty good reputation from what I understand.

Do you guys know of any other US university that may be a better option? Is there any Canadian university that provides the same sort of online bachelors degrees in aviation subjects? So far I havent found any..
I know many Canadian universities offer distance learning for degrees, but none in the aviation field, which is what I'm aiming for.

Just a reminder that this is not for a flying job

Thank you
---------- ADS -----------

albravo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Embry Riddle or other US university for aviation degree

Post by albravo »

My wife is an Embry Riddle graduate, Prescott campus.

I don't know if there is a different value attributed to their online campus but I do know the school has a stellar reputation in the US. It is less well known in Canada but people that recognize the name usually attach some value.

The fact that it is a university degree sets it apart from many of the diplomas that are granted by Canadian colleges.

Good luck!

NAT2
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by NAT2 »

1053857 wrote:I'm fortunate enough to already have the career I want at a major airline here in Canada, but I never completed university and I want to have that higher level of education (for personnal satisfaction, potential careers moves, etc.). I was looking into some of the online bachelors degrees that ERAU provides and was curious of what kind of "weight" those degrees have here in Canada. I mean, a bachelors is bachelors right, regardless of field of study? And from what I know, an American bachelors has the same equivalent as a Canadian.

ERAU has a pretty good reputation from what I understand.

Do you guys know of any other US university that may be a better option? Is there any Canadian university that provides the same sort of online bachelors degrees in aviation subjects? So far I havent found any..
I know many Canadian universities offer distance learning for degrees, but none in the aviation field, which is what I'm aiming for.

Just a reminder that this is not for a flying job

Thank you
I was campus based at ERAU for both my bachelor and master's, but I had to look into the distance learning courses quite a bit and was thoroughly impressed with what they offered. No one really covers distance learning the way ERAU does and the people that I know who have earned these degrees through distance learning were very happy with the result.

As far as the weight that the degrees carry, your mileage may vary. It's all in application of the education and one's personal approach. At my end, the people whi mattered appreciated the education and it has served my career quite well. I ended up with some great opportunities that I most likely would have missed out on had the education not opened up a few doors along the way. I enjoyed the experience of earning that education and it put me where I wanted to be in our business, so it was right for me.

I think the big question is to narrow down what particular area of study that you wish to pursue before you can compare programs.
Feel free to fire me a message if you have questions.

Good luck!

N

fixedpitch
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fixedpitch »

The quality of on-line degrees varies but usually reflects the reputation of the university. ERAU has a good reputation but it's expensive. A lot of US on-line degrees are also expensive especially at the Ivy leagues. Stay away from for-profit degree mills.

Canadian on-line degrees are a bit easier to assess because most of them are public, although reputation can vary as well.

Why aviation only? Do something non-aviation related if you really want to expand your intellectual horizons.

Saxub
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Saxub »

Waterloo and Athabasca have solid online/distance programs. As for ERAU, I can't comment.

Eagle905
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Eagle905 »

Hi,

I studied and still studying with ERAU for my Masters Degree. I was both on Campus and Online. I use EagleVision Online classes rather than the ordinary Online. ERAU teaching, modules, and experience from colleagues / profs are amazing. The array of specializations ERAU offers are not available in Canada. Canadian institutes offer more general aviation degree, but ERAU has more detailed and specialized majors.

Your Canadian experience is more valued than your degree or from where you got it, given that you are working and have a solid experience so the degree will be a plus regardless being from Canada or USA.

ERAU is so flexible and offers intakes / courses every 10 weeks, for masters, so when you busy with work you can take time off from school and be back really quick, hence you can finish your degree faster. This is not available with Canadian universities.

I believe you can get OSAP for ERAU, if you are from Ontario.

Wish you all the best!

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Have a look at the Open University, in the UK. They more or less invented distance learning, back in 1969. Top rated university.

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/wo ... university

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
lucien_kane
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lucien_kane »

Hi
I was a student at ERAU Daytona Beach Campus and I had to leave my sophomore year because the flight training was not upto par. But if this is for personal satisfaction, try the ERAU worldwide campus. That is my plan for next year.

Tylerjohnston
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Tylerjohnston »

Hey!
I'm doing my BS in Aeronautics with them right now. It's been fantastic, other then being pretty expensive. I know of a few guys that tried UVU online (Utah Valley), and they said it wasn't even comparable. If you hold FAA Certification you qualify for credit towards your degrees, I believe they have me almost 45 Credit hours for holding an American CPL. It is also pretty interesting, ive met a lot of current and retired military guys with some incredible stories. It's very enjoyable reading everyone's write ups.I believe it is the best choice if you can afford the $500 Canadian per credit hour! Cheers, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

groundpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by groundpilot »

My 2 cents...

I did the MBA at ERAU Daytona Beach and can't say I was overly impressed...biggest disappointment was some of the students online were brutal. I couldn't believe they were going for Master's degrees and were struggling to string a decent couple sentences together. I have no idea if they finished the program but hope for the sake of standards, they did not.

The second issue I saw was that the classes lined up with the students on campus schedule and the professors seemed to favour the courses they were teaching in person. They would disappear for a couple weeks and then apologize for being too busy with on campus courses even though we paid the same and had the same schedule...

Overall I felt it was a bit of a cash cow for the university. I think I was paying close to $2k per course. Multiply that by 20-30 students and that is some good coin to casually write a few posts online to an online forum and apologize for being "too busy"...

If there is no important professional reason for taking these courses, I wouldn't recommend doing it...rather be spending time skiing with the family then locked up in a room...

AirSprint HR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirSprint HR »

I completed a Master's of Aeronautical Science degree from ERAU (online). The online program is what you make of it. If you want to do the minimum, you will get the degree and learn some. If you put a lot into it, you will get a lot out of it. I was happy with it and my decision to complete the program was for personal development and knowledge (space studies specialization). Has it helped me professionally? Yes. Was it required? No.

James

Return to “General Comments”