Bush Flyin'

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

UC-64A
Rank 1
Rank 1

Bush Flyin'

Post by UC-64A »

Hey how's everybody, the forums are back up and running nice to see !! Thanx to AvCanada for all the time you put in !
:D
It's mid February and in three month we'll all be getting the floats wet once again !! Hope all you hopefuls have been on the road looking, after talking with operators the jobs ARE out there if you are willing to pound the pavement. For myself if looks like float flying is going to be behind me since I've found that first multi-IFR job. Keep your heads up it does get better believe me I was at my wits end with this industry. :?
Take Care,
Formerly C-GZBR
---------- ADS -----------

Happiness is the journey not the destination !!!!
Phlyer
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Phlyer »

Good for you - nice to hear some good news. What kind of equipement are you flying - right seat or left?
Cheers, FF

185_guy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by 185_guy »

Congrats UC-64!!! Glad to hear you found somethin good!!
nice handle by the way......but it dosent have as nice of a ring as "thunder chicken"!!!

ASA120
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ASA120 »

Hey C-CZBR, I used to fly C-GZBQ, I believe there were three sister beavers redone at Allen Airways in Sioux Lookout. If I am not mistaken wasn't ZBR in Ignace or Armstrong?

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

UC64A

Post by oldtimer »

Hey yous guys, don't you know what a UC64A is. Just ask Cat Driver. Bet he knows. Used to fly CF-FEW, CF-ECE, CF-ECD, CF-EPZ, CF-DRE. Anybody out there remenber these fine old airplanes. I will check in tomorrow. Incidently, CF-EPZand CF-DRE were UC64's. The rest were Mk.!V's(CF-FEW) and Mk V's. Hint: circa late 1960's early 70's, Northwesern Ontario and Manitoba.

UC-64A
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by UC-64A »

Looks like there are a few here still interested in talking bush , thanx for the replies. ZBR is a Beaver out of Ignace the others are in Armstrong and Atikokan. I was lucky enough to fly a MkIV and a MkV, regardless of the age they all love the water on a hot sluggy day at gross wt and that reef gets awful close at 60 but she always seems to go ! I haven't yet decided which job accept yet but Friday is the day when I have to decide, captain chieftain or co-joe twin turbine the stress is killing me. :?
Aviation sure has its ups and downs !!

UC-64A
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by UC-64A »

Looks like there are a few here still interested in talking bush , thanx for the replies. ZBR is a Beaver out of Ignace the others are in Armstrong and Atikokan. I was lucky enough to fly a MkIV and a MkV, regardless of the age they all love the water on a hot sluggy day at gross wt and that reef gets awful close at 60 but she always seems to go ! I haven't yet decided which job accept yet but Friday is the day when I have to decide, captain chieftain or co-joe twin turbine the stress is killing me. :?
Aviation sure has its ups and downs !!

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Oldtimer:

Ever had to use the hand crank to wind up the inertia starter on one of those noisemakers? :mrgreen:

Cat.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

Cat Driver wrote:Oldtimer:

Ever had to use the hand crank to wind up the inertia starter on one of those noisemakers? :mrgreen:

Cat.
youbecha. Had one in a Beaver(CF-OCY) and one in an old Fairchild F11 Husky(CF-SAQ). Pushed off a beach in the Beaver OCY but the starter would't work. Got out the crank. Couldn't make it engage. A passenger asked "What's that noise". The other passenger (with the map) says "Missi Falls." do you know that 4 guys with paddles sounds exactly like an Evenrude at 10K RPM. Should be in YCD with the 'HO near the end of the month. We should do lunch.

JayVee
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JayVee »

I spent some time in ZBR, OCV, LLX, KBW, etc in 1989.
:D

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Oldtimer:

You bet, just give me a day or so notice.

I'll never ever forget how much work it was starting a Norseman with the crank........................

Cat Driver

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
skywagon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by skywagon »

Hey Cat Driver, how do you crank a radial? I have never heard of it, but I am interested. I had a guy tell me he has used a rope on the prop tip...but that sounds dangerous! Tell me more! :)

Duke Elegant
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duke Elegant »

I have seen the rope trick done. Gordon Sherman , the Chief Pilot at Airspray at the time showed us on an A26 which has two eighteen cylinder radials (R2800). He put a knot in the end of the rope and put it around the hub with one turn over the knot , primed it accordingly , mags on ..... the other end was tied to a pickup truck and the driver drove away.

We thought it was a crazy idea but it bl**dy well worked and it started. (We had pulled it through by hand first to get avoid hydraulicing)

He taught us many things , many of which were bad.
He taught me to roll the A26 on my checkout. I have probably rolled it 300 times since. Have two movies of that too.

For me , VNE is not a limitation , it's a goal
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Sky wagon:

There used to be a lot of airplanes with radial engines equipped with inertial starters, these starters worked by spinning the starter to a very high RPM and then engaging a clutch to turn the engine over.

These inertial starters also had a hand crank hole and you could use a hand crank to spin up the starter, then jump in the airplane and engage the clutch. worked real well if you had the strength and energy to get the thing wound up to full RPM.

Using the rope to start big radials has been around forever, we used to use that method in the High Arctic with the DC 3's and either Eskimoes or a ski doo to pull the rope, it of course helps to hand pull the first bit to get it going.

Now damn it Duke, I have told you and told you to get your ass over here for some more training.

The Camel Jockey was a real hard act to follow...those were the good old days. :lol:

Cat Driver.

Pratt
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pratt »

Did the rope trick with the Beaver once, but no skidoo or vehicle to pull it. Was stuck in the bush after an overnight at a camp with a dead battery.

Cold engine, took along time, had just about given up when it finally started. Wasn't alot of fun. :roll:

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

bush flyin

Post by oldtimer »

Just in case some of te younger set didn't know, the UC64A was the military version of the Norseman. When converted to civilian, it was known as a Mark 6. When you are in the bush and you absolutly have to, anything will get the engine started. I even used a rope over a prop blade to get a Cessna 180 started. It was tied to a dock and I figured it was safer than handproping. We moulded a loop in the rope to fit over the bollard on the floats and this slipped over the blade. A lot of luck but I got it going. That was about the time a chap in Western Ontario was hand spiking a beaver and it chopped his arm off. He got into the airplane and flew it home. Onr tough guy

Duke Elegant
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duke Elegant »

I heard that our ex Prime Minister , the Honourable Frog Prince Mr Crouton, once suck started a TPE331 out the side of his mouth to escape Alberta.

Was it true that Official Canadian Windbag Adrienne Clarkson once fart started a Herc?

For me , VNE is not a limitation , it's a goal
skywagon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by skywagon »

The weirdest thing I have seen was on a 1963 172. It had this pull start lever under the yoke to engage the starter. I flew it a bunch and never had a problem, except I couldn't get my damn big fingers between the panel and the T handle.....Ha Ha Ha.

185_guy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by 185_guy »

I flew Norseman KAS last summer, got 100 hours in her, fell in love!!!
KAS was on the west coast untill 1996, does anyone know of, or have any pictures of her? I found some one time, but cant seem to find the web page anymore.

KAS is a UC-64-A, metalized fuselage, one of 2 ordered by the US army air force on floats.

A great piece of Canadian History

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

bush flying

Post by oldtimer »

An old Norseman presented me with one of my most embarassing moments. The old Nordyne had an intensifier tube which was both the exhaust pipe and the cabin heater. A scoop collected slipstream air, passed it around a shroud and into the cabin. My buddy flew into Flin Flon with the Norseman and borrowed my car to go into Channing for lunch. While he was gone, it was practical joke time. But, unknown by me, the boss, Hank Parsons brought some suits down onto the ice to look at the airplanes. Caught me standing on a 5 gallon pail, peeing into the exhaust heater. My face (and other parts ) was kinda red. my buddy said the airplane stunk of stale pee for a hour. :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P

Return to “General Comments”