iPad Mini 4 and ForeFlight

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

flyguy73
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: iPad Mini 4 and ForeFlight

Post by flyguy73 »

Spinwmts wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:41 am Returning back to the original conversation: I originally flew w an iPad using foreflight and have often found that in a C150 it would be a bit too big for that little cramped cockpit, add a kneeboard and it was almost impossible. I'm hoping that the Mini 4 (That I just got two weeks ago :) ) will be a bit better to handle (With a kneeboard).
I was using Stratux with an ipad mini 4, mounted on a yoke mount on a flight from SW Ontario to Myrtle Beach. Worked great. Had the stratux mounted in the glareshield and received both 1090ES and UAT traffic and weather. This is in a PA-28, but Cessna would be very similar. I feel the full sized ipad would be too big to have mounted in the cockpit, but some people do this.

I also have a Zaon MRX, coupled to a GPSMap 396. I saw more potentially conflicting traffic on the ADSB than on the Zaon. In Canada, we usually use the Zaon & 396, but it only picks up maybe 50% of the traffic in the area.
---------- ADS -----------

whits
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: iPad Mini 4 and ForeFlight

Post by whits »

I have the 128gb mini without cellular and use a Dual external GPS receiver. If you are flying 5+ hours every day and struggle to remember to charge what 900 flying gadgets you are supposed to take with you, I don't recommend this combination. It was great when I was flying privately, but now it seems like the gps receiver is always dying. I also found it would lose the bluetooth connection quite often too, so I would have to wait for it and restart foreflight. By the end of the season I ended up scrapping the receiver and using my ipad with foreflight as a more manageable way to view charts, cfs, and jot times on the scratch pad. That being said, I have heard a number of people having much better luck with the bad elf.
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “General Comments”