Air Charter Implements Breathalyzer Tests Before Flight

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

dash8dave
Rank 2
Rank 2

Air Charter Implements Breathalyzer Tests Before Flight

Post by dash8dave »

Uh oh!!

I know its the US but how long until someone up here gets the same idea?

Business jet management and charter company Exclusive has become the first Part 135 operator to require its crewmembers to take a breathalyzer test before each flight. The West Palm Beach, Florida-based operator has equipped its aircraft with SoberLink, which not only records and transmits blood alcohol levels but also GPS location and a photo to positively verify identity. If alcohol is detected an alert will be sent via text or email.

“Our company does full background checks on all employees, as well as subscribes to outside safety agency programs, such as Argus and Wyvern,” said Exclusive president Jason Johnson. “Exclusive believes in adding this additional level of security to ensure the highest level of safety.”

Johnson said he was spurred by recent events where private jet pilots were arrested for alcohol usage. “In August, a copilot was arrested after police said his blood alcohol content was four times what is legal to drive a car. When our team learned that this happened to a very reputable New York-based private jet company, they immediately looked for an answer to prevent, and make sure we are not victim to, the same situation.”
---------- ADS -----------

"Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves." - Albert Einstein
timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Air Charter Implements Breathalyzer Tests Before Flight

Post by timel »

This is a great corporate culture, it must be nice to work for them.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Is it because they don't pay well and have to keep their poorly paid staff in line OR is it because they pay so well that they must maintain this high standard of having a sober aircrew?

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

I wonder what drove the company to do this? Businesses are driven by profit first and installing this equipment sounds like an enormous expense which must be somehow justified. The first three reasons that come to mind are:

1) A significant number of pilots came to work impaired,
2) They think guaranteeing sober crews will attract customers, and/or
3) They wish to undermine the competition by implying that their guys aren't guaranteed free of impairment.

The first one is a scary thought, especially if this looked to be their only option. The second two are just stupid, but I'm not the type to charter planes so what the hell do I know?

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

The judge said after my 3rd DUI that I had to get a breathalyzer interlock in all my vehicles... probably should put them in the airoplanes too!

bizjet_mania
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by bizjet_mania »

Good way to find your organization 'unionized'.

Return to “General Comments”