United Airlines rolls out plan to charge lowest-fare flyers to use overhead bins

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: United Airlines rolls out plan to charge lowest-fare flyers to use overhead bins

Post by plhought »

Russia had it figured out in old times.

Very few airplanes with overhead bins, big cargo holds at the front and back. Load your own bags.
---------- ADS -----------

Fly The Wing
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: United Airlines rolls out plan to charge lowest-fare flyers to use overhead bins

Post by Fly The Wing »

JBI wrote:... Or with New Leaf of $31 for a carry-on when booking or $92 at the gate (AH HA! Got ya!)...
Are you serious?

moocow
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by moocow »

rentdressyk
Rank 0
Rank 0

View first unread post

Post by rentdressyk »

Does anyone on this forum have a source for simple masks/frames for that will work in Irfan View?

Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rookie50 »

The fact of the matter is, airline managements are the worst of almost any industry you can name.

Can't even figure out something as simple as fuel hedging correctly, which would bring a massive benefit compared to some of these silly initiatives.

I would never, ever invest in an airline.

JAHinYYC
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JAHinYYC »

[quote="godsrcrazy"]Its about time they started charging for carry bags. Personally if they stopped charging for checked bags and started charging for carry bags things would change. [quote]

+1

One purse or equivalent non gender specific bag which is large enough to fit in a toaster oven plus a standard briefcase for free and $50 per piece for anything larger than that would improve the inflight experience.

Checked luggage for free or something nominal like $15 per piece.

If your time is so valuable that you can't wait ten minutes at the luggage carousel for your checked bag - it strikes me that you should pay for the privilege of heading straight to the curb.

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

Rookie50 wrote:The fact of the matter is, airline managements are the worst of almost any industry you can name.

Can't even figure out something as simple as fuel hedging correctly, which would bring a massive benefit compared to some of these silly initiatives.

Really?

I just finished reading an analysis of operating performance of the top 10 U.S. airlines compared to the S&P 500:
- Median ROE for the airlines was 36.1%, 14.3% for the S&P.
- Median net income margin for the airlines was 12.4%, 9.8% for the S&P.
- Median free cash flow/share was $4.10 for the airlines, $3.30 for the S&P.
- And most tellingly: median cash flow ROIC was 35.6% for the airlines, 14.9% for the S&P.
Not bad for the worst management of almost any industry you can name...

But don't take my word for it: American Airlines and United Continental shares were up recently by +50% since the beginning of July. And no less than Berkshire Hathaway, not widely known for betting on bad management, has recently made significant investments in American, United, Delta, and Southwest.

By the way, if you truly think fuel hedging is simple, I'd encourage you to get into that game and show us all how it's done.

YMMV

Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rookie50 »

YYZSaabGuy wrote:
Rookie50 wrote:The fact of the matter is, airline managements are the worst of almost any industry you can name.

Really?

I just finished reading an analysis of operating performance of the top 10 U.S. airlines compared to the S&P 500:
- Median ROE for the airlines was 36.1%, 14.3% for the S&P.
- Median net income margin for the airlines was 12.4%, 9.8% for the S&P.
- Median free cash flow/share was $4.10 for the airlines, $3.30 for the S&P.
- And most tellingly: median cash flow ROIC was 35.6% for the airlines, 14.9% for the S&P.
Not bad for the worst management of almost any industry you can name...

But don't take my word for it: American Airlines and United Continental shares were up recently by +50% since the beginning of July. And no less than Berkshire Hathaway, not widely known for betting on bad management, has recently made significant investments in American, United, Delta, and Southwest.

By the way, if you truly think fuel hedging is simple, I'd encourage you to get into that game and show us all how it's done.

YMMV
Long, long term airlines as an investment have been outright disasters.

We will see if they can maintain what is a very recent streak of performance.

Personally I have no interest in the sector, others may that is their prerogative.

I've been at this game a long time, including in oil markets, so forgive me I've developed a few opinions.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

dhc# wrote: Don't worry this will become policy with Canadian airlines, who follow worldwide airline trends.
I hope it does. Nothing drives me more insane than people bringing carry ons that are clearly larger than allowed and taking up all the bin space because they are too cheap to check a bag. I see people regularly put their personal items in the over head bins too. Nothing like waiting 45 min to get off a 777 if you're near the back because of all the carry ons.

Return to “General Comments”