Sleeping Pills(Zopiclone)

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

3down&loct
Rank 2
Rank 2

Sleeping Pills(Zopiclone)

Post by 3down&loct »

A couple of years ago I asked my GP if there was any low risk pill I could take occasionally, when I know dam well I will not get any sleep (Death flip, etc). I was prescribed Zopiclone and have used it occasionally with great results. I did Google it before using it and found nothing on MOTs site other than it should only be used occasionally. Additionally as a Military pilot I was prescribed Zopiclone prior to deployment during the Gulf Crisis. I therefore did not give it more thought.
After my GP wrote another prescription recently, she decided to call MOT to confirm the use of it. They told her that it may not be used and was told she had to report the prescription. She also indicated I must also report the prescription.
Of course I am now a little concerned about this.
Anyone have any knowledge about this?

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Legacy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Sleeping Pills(Zopiclone)

Post by Legacy »

Our aviation medical doctor prescribes that s--t. Do some in depth research though.

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

My wife takes it. But only twice a week.

There is a considerable danger of addiction if not managed very carefully.

And it seems to drug you out more than give you a sound sleep.

She sometimes takes till past noon to be completely free of the effect.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
3down&loct
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 3down&loct »

"Our aviation medical doctor prescribes that s--t. Do some in depth research though."
How can he do this if TC says you cannot fly on it?

The times I took it I got 8 solid hrs of sleep (fall asleep within 15 mins) and felt great after waking up. No foggy head, just wide awake an ready to go.

William B
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by William B »

Apparently zopiclone which are a scored elongated blue thing are good. My came prescribed them frequently and had no qualms whatsoever, he said they were fine for flight crew. When a person weighs the two options, sleep deprived or rested, the answer is pretty well a no brainer. To my knowledge, as long as they are taken responsibly per the Rx, there are no side effects.

nine sixteenths
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nine sixteenths »

There are some side effects, even when taken properly per the prescription, but for short term or occasional useage they probably have less negative effects than a pilot that hasn't slept. Still not a bad thing to check in with the CAME on it though. I'm no doctor

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

I had some serious sleep issues a few years ago. I went on zopiclone steady for 2 weeks and after that I take 5 mg about once or twice a month. I told my CAME and he said it's ok to take it now. In the past they didn't want you on it.

Sidebar
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Sidebar »

I use Gravol a few times a month to assist sleep. One tablet about 90 minutes before bed and I sleep like a rock.

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

I've had a Zopiclone prescription for a few years now. I use it strictly as a last resort, i.e. only after several nights of poor sleep. It works, every single time: I'm out like a light and will typically go 8-9 hours of deep, uninterrupted sleep. Which, when you're sleep-deprived and desperate for just one good night, is unbelievably important - anybody who suffers from periodic or recurring insomnia will know what I'm talking about. Occasionally I'll wake up feeling a bit groggy, but that's easily fixed with a shower and a cup of coffee.

This is after years of trying everything from earplugs to blackout blinds to sleep clinics to white noise to melatonin to gravol to Nytol to various other OTC remedies........Best. Sleep. Guarantee. Ever.

I'm disciplined about limiting my use to once every 2-3 weeks: I'm less worried about having to wean myself off it than I am about degrading its effectiveness.

westcoastwonder
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by westcoastwonder »

I believe it is safe. I don't think there is one of our emergency physicians that does not have some at home.
The main concern is starting to rely on it instead of good sleep practices. Once in a while, is fine.
But never confuse reality with TC

Redwine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Redwine »

I have had this prescribed during a period of insomnia. Works well. Use responsibly and you should have no issues, MOT incl.

...Seems they are going to remove the axe and the control column from the cockpits for security reasons.
piperdriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by piperdriver »

I prefer Zoloft, washed down with 6 ounces of fine whiskey.

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

Google Zopiclone and have a look at some of the problems associated with it. For short term, sporadic use, it's probably fine. However, my wife took it recently and wound up with some of the more serious side effects noted; including next day drowsiness, hallucinations, irritability, aggressiveness and behavior changes.

Approach its use with caution...

J

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

This is good info.
I've battled sleep issues my whole life. Wasn't much of an issue in any of my past lives in the pub industry, trades, or instructing, but reared it's ugly head with a vengeance when I started doing skeds and charters, and really hampered my performance some days.

I'll be tired the entire day, I can sleep at the drop of a hat around 6pm- I avoid it, but even if I don't give in to the devil's nap I'm always wide awake at bedtime, and consequently a basketcase at 7am, and about as useful as wet toilet paper through the day.... rinse and repeat.

Any tranquillising drugs usually work as stimulates for me, and vice versa. Cough syrup, Gravol, Nytol, all make me restless and I'll spend hours in an uncomfortable vegetative state instead of sleeping. I avoid all those for that reason. Same with melatonin. It's a common symptom for people with what you would call ADD. (Oh look, birds! Bicycles!)

Tried all the good habits, but will always result in laying in bed, wide awake with growing frustration as I watch the hours click closer to my alarm.
It's down to maybe once a month now, luckily, and much more manageable, But I'll mention Zopiclone to my doc and see what he says, given you guys have had positive results.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Dan,

Gravol, cough syrup etc all have the same drug in them - diphenhydramine aka benadryl.

I had similar symptom to you. I think you'll find you may just need 1 big circadian reset and after that use it very sparingly.

share-once
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by share-once »

Not an answer, but interesting I thought:
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=77535&p=727894&hil ... ne#p727894

I used zopiclone for years and besides the bitter taste I found the short term memory loss was the biggest bugger.
Zolpidem was a good alternative.

righthandman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by righthandman »

3down&loct wrote:After my GP wrote another prescription recently, she decided to call MOT to confirm the use of it. They told her that it may not be used and was told she had to report the prescription. She also indicated I must also report the prescription.
Of course I am now a little concerned about this.
Anyone have any knowledge about this?

Thanks
The only comment I am willing to go on the record as saying is that one will often get varying and even conflicting answers from TC/MOT types on a whole range of topics. The only advice I am willing to give is in the future heed the advice/warnings/recommendations of your GP before the GP has any involvement with TC/MOT.

Return to “General Comments”