Canadian airport designators explained

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Canadian airport designators explained

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

I often wonder the history that is behind the Canadian IATA or ICAO airport designators.

Some are straightforward and obvious, like Baie Comeau which is YBC or CYBC.

But others, like my home base of Montreal, CYUL, are a mystery, at least to myself, as is CYYZ. If anyone knows the history behind any of the cryptic Canadian Airport designators, please share them here.

I will begin with two, that I know.

CYHR
Chevry, PQ, an airport on the Lower North Shore of the St-Lawrence Bay. It's origin is behind it's old name, which was Harrington Harbour, a village located on an island right across from Chevry. Was the old airport located on the island of Harrington Harbour ? I am not certain.

CYKL
Schefferville, PQ, is based on its old name, Knob Lake, which is a lake right next to the town. probably used by Sea Planes in the early days of the town in the fourties or fifties we the Iron Ore mining town was created
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by Gilles Hudicourt on Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
switchflicker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Canadian airport designators explained

Post by switchflicker »

KORD. - Before the airport was moved, it was built on land that previously was an Orchard.

"I'd rather have it and not need than to need it and not have it" Capt. Augustus McCrae.
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

CYCD - The area around Nanaimo airport is called "Cassidy". I guess the airport was designated with the local area, but is now called Nanaimo as that's the largest nearby city...

Taxivasion
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Taxivasion »

I believe YYZ was named after a famous Rush song who grew up in the area....hehe

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

Gilles Hudicourt wrote:I often wonder the history that is behind the Canadian IATA or ICAO airport designators.

Some are straightforward and obvious, like Baie Comeau which is YBC or CYBC.

But others, like my home base of Montreal, CYUL, are a mystery, at least to myself, as is CYYZ. If anyone knows the history behind any of the cryptic Canadian Airport designators, please share them here.

I will begin with two, that I know.

CYHR
Chevry, PQ, an airport on the Lower North Shore of the St-Lawrence Bay. It's origin is behind it's old name, which was Harrington Harbour, a village located on an island right across from Chevry. Was the old airport located on the island of Harrington Harbour ? I am not certain

CYKL
Schefferville, PQ, is based on its old name, Knob Lake, which is a lake right next to the town. probably used by Sea Planes in the early days of the town in the fourties or fifties we the Iron Ore mining town was created
YYZ was the original radio code for the village of Malton where PIA is located. There are other places in Canada where the airport code was taken from a local radio station.

Antique Pilot

Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

CYHR
Chevry, PQ, an airport on the Lower North Shore of the St-Lawrence Bay. It's origin is behind it's old name, which was Harrington Harbour, a village located on an island right across from Chevry. Was the old airport located on the island of Harrington Harbour ? I am not certain
There was never an airport on the island, a seaplane base only. When people began moving over to the mainland they called the place Cross River, but since there was already a Cross River in the Gaspésie, the village on the mainland was renamed for the seigneurie that had been accorded to le Sieur de Chevery in that area back in the 1500's. There used to be a NDB there that had YHR as the ident, so the airport became CYHR.

Blanc Sablon used to be BS when I first started flying down there in the '60's, and Baie Johan Beetz was BJ, but they were Northern Wings company idents. When the Benevolencies in Ottawa began installing floating docks and airstrips both idents were changed. I have no idea why St. Augustine - SA - became YIF. :smt102

PointyEngine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by PointyEngine »

Any ideas where CYXY (Whitehorse) sprang from?

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

There was a post years back about this, the only one I remember is CYUL, stands for "unruly lot"

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
frog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by frog »

In french only, sorry.
It looks reasonable.

http://proposmontreal.com/index.php/mais-pourquoi-yul/

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

switchflicker wrote:KORD. - Before the airport was moved, it was built on land that previously was an Orchard.
It was actually named for the nearby community of Orchard Place during WW2...not built on an orchard

switchflicker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by switchflicker »

I'll go along with that!!

"I'd rather have it and not need than to need it and not have it" Capt. Augustus McCrae.
citruskelly
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by citruskelly »

Up here in Iqaluit, we are CYFB, which stands for Frobisher Bay.

Another airport close to us is in the tiny community of Kimmirut, CYLC. Town used to be called Lake Harbour (LC = lake?)

In western Nunavut, you'll find CYBB in Kugaaruk, which was once Pelly Bay.

Many northern communities returned to their Inuktitut names in 1999 with the creation of the Territory of Nunavut. Airport designators in Nunavut sometimes refer to their old English names pre-1999 era.

(As I'm writing this, METAR shows -24 celcius and NW winds gusting 27 KT. Stay warm my friends!)

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

CYGR
Iles de la Madeleine goes by the name Grindstone

CYGW Kuujjuarapik Airport used to be called Great Whale

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

There are a very limited number of letter combinations which is why you get ones like CYXX for Abbotsford. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Zaibatsu wrote:There are a very limited number of letter combinations which is why you get ones like CYXX for Abbotsford. I wouldn't read too much into it.
Or CYYY for Mont-Joli

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

Gilles Hudicourt wrote: Or CYYY for Mont-Joli
I thought that was what pilots say when they see Mont-Joli on their flight plan: "Why, Why, WHY?"

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

frog wrote:In french only, sorry.
It looks reasonable.

So if I read that right, the author states that it's impossible for UL to be a choice of random letters and digs deep to prove his point by discovering that it wasn't random letters at all: YUL came from the Kirkland beacon which had the random letters UL.

That logic suits YUL anyway.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

ahramin wrote:
frog wrote:In french only, sorry.
It looks reasonable.

So if I read that right, the author states that it's impossible for UL to be a choice of random letters and digs deep to prove his point by discovering that it wasn't random letters at all: YUL came from the Kirkland beacon which had the random letters UL.

That logic suits YUL anyway.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ettw
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ettw »

YPH Port Harrison/inukjuaq I believe.

ETTW

1. The company pays me to make money for it.
2. If the company doesn't make money neither do I
3. I still hate simulators

Return to “General Comments”