Home made engine cover/tent?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Home made engine cover/tent?

Post by digits_ »

Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you have a suggestion for a home made engine cover for a small single engine airplane. Something that is at least a bit fire resistant so it is safe to use with one of those buddy heaters in the cowling.

The plane would be parked in a non-heated hangar with temperatures till -40. It would only fly in temperatures of -15 and up.

Regards,
digits
---------- ADS -----------

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Home made engine cover/tent?

Post by HiFlyChick »

Years ago we were on a cross country and used a sleeping bag wrapped and tied around the cowling. To keep it from getting greasy, we wrapped a tarp around it first; we also wrapped another around it afterwards to keep it dry, but our aircraft was outside, so you wouldn't need that one unless your hangar is drafty enough to allow snow to blow in.

I'm not familiar with the heater type that you mention, but if it's inside the cowl I wouldn't think there's any fire hazard....

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

If it's for insulation only, grab some old sleeping bags and sew them into an engine cover.

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

A wool blanket will provide some fire resistance, but as long as the little. Iffy is in deep enough it will be fine. The heat element will fail long before it gets to lighting things on fire, unless you soak it in gas. At -5 or so you don't even need a tent.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
Jungle Jim
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Jungle Jim »

I use a moving blanket with grommet rings and short bungees to hold it in place.. They are cheap at Princess Auto

Jim

anofly
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by anofly »

I use an old sleeping bag, on the outside of the cowl, and a car interior warmer, with a fan, inside the cowl. You said it's in a hanger , so in the hanger I don't tie mine down, but sort of push some in the air inlets. I keep the heater way down under the oil sump. On a 172 I would push it up in the bottom of the cowl from the rear. Don't worry about the cover burning, if the heater goes wacky in the cowl, and blows sparks on all those oil drips etc under there, other things will be burning before the sleeping bag catches. Cheers , a few hours at those temps should be enough. Don't leave it on full time.

praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by praveen4143 »

anofly wrote:Don't leave it on full time.
Also, pre-heat only if you intend to fly. Don't heat it and then not fly the airplane, the engine will build up moisture and that's hard on the engine.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

praveen4143 wrote:
anofly wrote:Don't leave it on full time.
Also, pre-heat only if you intend to fly. Don't heat it and then not fly the airplane, the engine will build up moisture and that's hard on the engine.
How does heating build up moisture?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Jungle Jim wrote:I use a moving blanket with grommet rings and short bungees to hold it in place.. They are cheap at Princess Auto

Jim
I think we have a winner, I will try it out asap!

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship

Return to “General Comments”