Dogfighting

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Dogfighting

Post by North Shore »

Question(s) for those in the know...

Just took the Shore jrs to see Rogue 1...lots of 'dogfighting' in the last scene, most of it stern chases - makes for good movie suspense, as the targeted craft jinks around in the crosshairs until the final blaster shot, etc.. got me to thinking about aerial combat, though..
1.) If you've got someone on your tail, isn't it best to turn into your opponent as tightly as possible? It would seem, that being 'unpredictable' might just as easily get you turning into a shot, as away from one..
2.) Does that tactic change depending on the aspect of engagement (head on, etc..)
3.) Does " " " depending on the number of adversaries?
4.) Does " " " depending on the role you're in (ground attack, etc..)

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Dogfighting

Post by 7ECA »

trampbike
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by trampbike »

North Shore wrote:Question(s) for those in the know...

Just took the Shore jrs to see Rogue 1...lots of 'dogfighting' in the last scene, most of it stern chases - makes for good movie suspense, as the targeted craft jinks around in the crosshairs until the final blaster shot, etc.. got me to thinking about aerial combat, though..
1.) If you've got someone on your tail, isn't it best to turn into your opponent as tightly as possible? It would seem, that being 'unpredictable' might just as easily get you turning into a shot, as away from one..
2.) Does that tactic change depending on the aspect of engagement (head on, etc..)
3.) Does " " " depending on the number of adversaries?
4.) Does " " " depending on the role you're in (ground attack, etc..)

Thanks!
Answer to everything regarding dogfight: it depends.
Most of all, it depends on the weapons. If we assume that a laser gun that is boresighted to the nose of the spacecraft if pretty close to a modern gun mounted on most fighters (which makes no sense, as if you've got the technology to go to the speed of light, you probably also have high off-boresight technology...), then it's pretty simple: to gun someone, you need to be in range (which probably doesn't really affect lasers though), in the same plane as the defensive aircraft, and most of all, in lead.

If you out-turn your adversary (radius and rate), he'll never be able to shoot you. However, if he can out-turn you and is able to pull lead, then your only option is to get out of plane in the most drastic and unpredictable way ("jinking")

Think ahead or fall behind!
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Changing the plane of the turn, unloading, pulling, anything to move your steed out of the way of his shot and ruining his tracking. That way the best he can do is a lucky shot while you try and maneuver out of his weapon parameters. If you have the same capability aircraft I think whoever is better at energy management will win. Talking here about guns of course. Missiles are different and I'm not sure what the best défense would be against Tie fighters and X-wings. Whatever you're flying though the best solution is to shoot him in the back before he knows you're there and keep on going.

Glasnost
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Glasnost »

What I don't get is why there are dogfights in space to begin with. I know it's sci fantasy and lifted right from most of the WWI and WWII movies anyways.. but why wouldn't a starfigher simply pitch or yaw 180 degrees and blast the guy behind him while still drifting the same direction?

I think true space combat would be more like chess. Changing orbital inclinations and altitudes over the course of hours or days to try and pursue (or evade) your enemy without running out of propellant. Doesn't make for good action, though. :lol:

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Glasnost wrote:What I don't get is why there are dogfights in space to begin with. I know it's sci fantasy and lifted right from most of the WWI and WWII movies anyways.. but why wouldn't a starfigher simply pitch or yaw 180 degrees and blast the guy behind him while still drifting the same direction?
Actually the remake of Battlestar Galactica portrayed that very nicely. It would present some interesting tracking problems achieving the precise nose rate and direction with thrusters, but it would eliminate crushing "G" forces from the equation. Rather than accelerating the ship in a new trajectory you're just spinning it on its axis.

But then again both you and your target will be changing your trajectory all the time since neither one of you wants to get shot which presents lots more problems. Instead of just acting downward relative to the craft the "G" forces will be acting in all directions. Yup, space combat would be interesting.

Mostly Harmless
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Mostly Harmless »

Glasnost wrote:What I don't get is why there are dogfights in space to begin with. I know it's sci fantasy and lifted right from most of the WWI and WWII movies anyways.. but why wouldn't a starfigher simply pitch or yaw 180 degrees and blast the guy behind him while still drifting the same direction?

I think true space combat would be more like chess. Changing orbital inclinations and altitudes over the course of hours or days to try and pursue (or evade) your enemy without running out of propellant. Doesn't make for good action, though. :lol:
Thanks, I was going to mention that also.

Yes, the remake of BSG used accurate physics, but they were not the first. Babylon 5 was the first one to portray accurate dog-fighting physics in space.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

I used to play a game on my PC called "Descent". It was a space-based first-person-shooter where you are piloting a spacecraft and aren't subjected to gravity. There is no "up" or "down", it's all relative to what you're seeing out your cockpit window. You can slide sideways, up/down, forward/back, and yaw about all three axes at once if you want to. Honestly, someone good at this game would have *zero* problems with situational awareness in a conventional aircraft dogfight.

Despite all that manoeuverability, it still comes down to who can put crosshairs on the other aircraft the fastest, and maintain that lock while simultaneously moving so the other aircraft can't get a lock.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

AirFrame wrote:I used to play a game on my PC called "Descent". It was a space-based first-person-shooter where you are piloting a spacecraft and aren't subjected to gravity. There is no "up" or "down", it's all relative to what you're seeing out your cockpit window. You can slide sideways, up/down, forward/back, and yaw about all three axes at once if you want to. Honestly, someone good at this game would have *zero* problems with situational awareness in a conventional aircraft dogfight.
A computer game does not duplicate the effects of acceleration G force which would be even more pronounced in space than it is on earth since it would act in all directions rather than just opposite the lift vector of the wing. Here on earth where it mostly only acts in one direction relative to the pilot it is exhausting and potentially debilitating. Also aerial combat is extremely dynamic and necessarily includes what other aircraft and threats all around you are doing whether you can physically see them or not. Situational awareness in that arena means knowing a lot more than just which way is "up".

Mostly Harmless
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Mostly Harmless »

I also played Descent... I thought it was an enjoyable game.

Most Sci-fi's use atmospheric physics for ships. Lucas used WWII combat footage as the basis of the original attack on the Death Star for a look and feel to the original Star Wars.

A more accurate look would be something like this. http://dai.ly/x46id1i?start=1800

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

FICU

Post by FICU »

It's old but pretty much all you need to know...

https://www.amazon.ca/Fighter-Combat-Ma ... 0870210599

gwagen
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gwagen »

You guys are forgetting that g forces are taken out of the equation as these fighters have "dampening" technologies. Otherwise when you accelerate to the speed of light in a fraction of a second, you'd be a fine mist on the bulkhead. That is of course considering the ship could stand the acceleration.

But of course that doesn't apply to all sci fi universes as they are all different.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: FICU

Post by AuxBatOn »

FICU wrote:It's old but pretty much all you need to know...

https://www.amazon.ca/Fighter-Combat-Ma ... 0870210599
Never read this throughout (I thought it was mostly useless) but if you say so...

Going for the deck at corner
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: FICU

Post by AirFrame »

AuxBatOn wrote:Never read this throughout (I thought it was mostly useless) but if you say so...
Are there better texts that are used in current training syllabii?

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

Sure. They are just not available to the public.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Rockie wrote:Situational awareness in that arena means knowing a lot more than just which way is "up".
Agreed... I was more referring to the ability to build a mental map of your arena, where your opponents are, and where they're likely to be, despite your "up" vector constantly changing.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

AuxBatOn wrote:Sure. They are just not available to the public.
Really? Interesting. Fully classified, or just "we don't advertise which one we use"?

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

Other than a mean to avoid hitting the ground, I only care where my lift vector is placed in relation to the opponent. Below 5k above the hard deck, I avoid setting my lift vector straight down, just so I don't bust the harddeck.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

AirFrame wrote:
AuxBatOn wrote:Sure. They are just not available to the public.
Really? Interesting. Fully classified, or just "we don't advertise which one we use"?
I don't think you need to know the answer to this...

flashheart
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flashheart »

NFTC didn't use classified information when I was there for fighter lead in training so I don't think the "basics" is too top secret.

Return to “General Comments”