New Pilot owns plane looking for suggestions.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: New Pilot owns plane looking for suggestions.

Post by Beefitarian »

Illya Kuryakin wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:54 pm
Beefitarian wrote:I don't know if you like airplanes but I recommend flying to an airport called Dulles. They have a neat museum there.
The good old days are gone. I was in Dulles two weeks ago. It is indeed an adventure, but no VFR. To security sensitive we were told.
Illya
Well, I guess he will have to go to McMinnville Oregon. It's got a decent museum.
---------- ADS -----------

Kejidog
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: New Pilot owns plane looking for suggestions.

Post by Kejidog »

ghazanhaider wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:47 pm It almost sucked to see someone suggest circuits.

I pushed my grumman (150 equivalent) as far as I could. I've been to Bahamas 3 times, Turks n Caicos and Mexico. I've flown over more than half of US states and was limited by only vacation days. You don't need experience before flying further away and in other countries, you should GAIN that experience while traveling far. Of course visit nearby fields, but you don't have to visit them 10 times for no reason other than practice and building hours.

Someone else suggested abandoned airfields and rockcliffe. Definitely do those, but absolutely do not put off traveling to the US (or Bahamas) until you have more experience. If you have a real PPL you have the required experience. Do your homework, do expect cheaper gas in the states (but the bulk of your costs come from hotel rooms) and start with traveling alone so you can push yourself further and not quite yet be responsible for another person.

Bahamas is awesome and very welcoming with a full on island culture. It's very beautiful and safe. Once you get a handle of Bahamian customs, rules and specific caribbean flying (not trusting flight plans, using Miami flight following or buddy flying, carrying bush equipment and spare plugs etc), you'll be able to fly all the way to south america given enough time. Your 172 is way more capable than my AA1.

It would be a sad sad pilot's life if you'll do circuits or draw triangles to build hours or 'gain experience'.
Thanks for this. I feel the same way. I am looking at finally doing some US flying this spring.
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “General Comments”