Cargo jet vs encore

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Eugene_goostman
Rank 1
Rank 1

Cargo jet vs encore

Post by Eugene_goostman »

If you had the choice which way would you go?
---------- ADS -----------

MrTurbine
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Cargo jet vs encore

Post by MrTurbine »

Where do you want to end up in the long run?
Flying a 67 for WS in about 20 years?
Go do that now in Cargojet and get a direct entry gig into AC or WS when the time is right.

Nothing wrong with WEN, great company great people. Pay is on the lower side, compared to CJT. Do what's best for you and your family in the long run.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Lots of questions to look at...

Looks like Cargojet pays more...
Don't know about the schedule... But South America, Europe vs. regional may be better?
767 vs turboprop?
Bottom of an awfully long and young (slow moving) list at westjet...
Will ACPA grow a set a take back their ceded cargo flying from Cargojet? I'd like to think so, but I doubt it - not with this crop at the helm... In fact it will probably grow to do all Air Canada's cargo...

I know what I'd do...

Eugene_goostman
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Eugene_goostman »

lookin for money and schedule of course but don't want to regret it long term. I think encore FO's just took a pay cut didn't they? Down to 36k a year. Working 19 days a month? I know less about cargo jet.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

I know of two former Boeing Cargo drivers who made the switch to a 705 turbo-prop recently. One of them was from CJ to WEN.

Both took pay cuts, but both had had enough of the overnight flying and seemed much happier to be flying in daylight hours.

I got the sense that at CJ the time to upgrade was going to be quite long. Whereas although Altiplano is right that at WJ mainline, it will be a long time to upgrade, for the short to medium term, upgrades at Encore (and Jazz) will be quite quick. The Encore pay "cut" is based on a reduction of the minimum monthly guarantee - the hourly credit rate has increased. It will give most Encore FOs a slight reduction in base pay - however, when you include per diems, dry cleaning allowance etc. first year FO's get about 50k gross a year (but yes, I'm aware of the argument that per diems are not income).

In my opinion the #1 factor should be how would you handle mostly overnight flying. I know for me, personally, that's not my thing at all.
Next is that although the first year or two as an FO on the turboprop will be lower pay, it seems that Captain's pay at Encore and Jazz is higher than FO pay at CJ (i.e. Capt at Encore/Jazz in 2/3 years is higher than a 3 or 4 year FO at CJ from the info that I could find - but I stand to be corrected). Would you be happier as a turboprop Captain flying more (but not exclusively) daytime hours or a Jet FO flying mostly night hours? For me, even if CJ offers more days off, I'd take the daytime flying, but I can definitely understand folks who would take the night time flying.

Last edited by JBI on Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CAL »

is it all overnight flying?......anyone know what the typical sched looks like and do they have any jumpseat agreements (commuting possibility etc)

thanks

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

Regional flying has its own share of stupid early check in's or late evening flights....not all daytime flying that's for sure.

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

I spent 3+ years doing the night freight thing at Flightcraft. I didn't realise how tired I was until I was laid off and actually got to sleep at night. It can really beat up your body.

I am now flying at Jazz, and while we certainly have some early mornings and late departures, I am much less fatigued on my days off and don't get sick as often.

At the end of the day, you have to make the choice that is right for you. I certainly enjoyed my time at Flightcraft, but I am much happier flying during the day at Jazz.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

The fact is, once you get out of the regional flying sphere there is a lot of off hour flying... It's not just freight...

Look at Europe, South America - virtually all overnight flights for airlines... Not to mention the long haul stuff to Asia... Or transcon redeyes... Planes designed to go far, go far... and since utilisation is so important they go all the time...

Maxpwr
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Maxpwr »

Last edited by Maxpwr on Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tubthumper
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Tubthumper »

Cargo doesn't whine and complain. :smt040

:rolleyes:
dashx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by dashx »

I can tell you what a newly licenced Ame did recently. Went from Porter to Encore then Cargojet. More money at Cargojet (and closer to home).
A pilot friend tells me that Fo's at CJ make more than captains at Air Georgian (and Encore).
Cargojet has agreement with AC for cargo.
And Cargojet is getting more planes (767 and 57).
On the surface it seems like a simple decision.......

Maxpwr
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Maxpwr »

Last edited by Maxpwr on Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

How old are you? If you're younger and ambitious, take the heavy jet time. Even the right seat time will get you a job on something large overseas. Invest the massive income differential and retire before 50. If you do stay in Canada, it's not like CJ rules out going to AC or WS. Options.

Or fly a Dash 8 and hope to eventually move up the ranks all the way to the left seat of the 737 at the uh, "mothership". Also good, I guess? It'll take a lot of years at the end of your career to make up for the early ones though, that's for sure. Just depends what value you place on your time I suppose.

But don't do something simply because it seems "safer" or more "secure" (or out of fear/laziness to do more than one interview. Jesus.) That's just the road to regret.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
Longtimer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Longtimer »

Tubthumper wrote:Cargo doesn't whine and complain. :smt040
Unless you are a FA, you will seldom be subjected to any whining and complaining unless it is coming from your First Officer or wife/partner :P

Jimmy2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy2 »

Maybe not directly but flying passengers you are always worrying about providing a smooth ride. It can be quite refreshing to fly cargo and not care so much about a few bumps.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Forget the passengers, I don't want to spill my own coffee.

A by product of that is the passengers get a good ride. :smt040

Return to “General Comments”