Bob Diemert

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

oa5599
Rank 1
Rank 1

Bob Diemert

Post by oa5599 »

Recently on this board someone posted pics of an A-26 once owned by Bob Diemert. I've been working on a project and trying to get a complete list of everything he has owned. This is what I have so far:
Firefly -- WD840
P-40 --
Val -- CF-TZT
Zero -- 5356/5450/4461
P-51 -- CF-WWH
B-25 -- C-GTTS
Hurricane -- CF-SMI
Miles hawk -- CF-AUV
J-3 -- CF-BYO
H-19 --
S-51 --
A-26 --

Other possible
Avro Anson ?
p-38 44-26761/CF-GKE ?

Any help completing the list with info or pictures especially would be great.
Cheers!

Sean
---------- ADS -----------

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Bob Diemert

Post by Antique Pilot »

oa5599 wrote:Recently on this board someone posted pics of an A-26 once owned by Bob Diemert. I've been working on a project and trying to get a complete list of everything he has owned. This is what I have so far:
Firefly -- WD840
P-40 --
Val -- CF-TZT
Zero -- 5356/5450/4461
P-51 -- CF-WWH
B-25 -- C-GTTS
Hurricane -- CF-SMI
Miles hawk -- CF-AUV
J-3 -- CF-BYO
H-19 --
S-51 --
A-26 --

Other possible
Avro Anson ?
p-38 44-26761/CF-GKE ?

Cheers!

Sean
Sounds pretty close. I was not aware of the Miles Hawk. He had an Anson there but it was a very bad basket case with a broken back. He had a Howard DGA 15P reg C-GYWF. It went to Alaska in 1982 and is now operated on floats in northern Wisconsin. There was a Beech Bonanza there reg CF-EIL for awhile. I thought he owned it but the ownership sequence on the Can Aircraft Registry doesn't reflect that. I have pics of some of them but am away from home for a few months.

AP

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

The Defender seems to be a glaring omision from this list!

Flypilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Flypilot »

I met Bob at his Carman hanger about 5 years ago. Very interesting visiting with the man! I had a chance to see the defender and numerous other planes, even have a few pictures of the defender somewhere.

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

I may have posted this before. Here is the Firefly before getting a paint job.

AP

Attachments
IMG_1350.JPG
IMG_1350.JPG (94.49 KiB) Viewed 5472 times
oa5599
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by oa5599 »

Antique Pilot wrote:
Sounds pretty close. I was not aware of the Miles Hawk. He had an Anson there but it was a very bad basket case with a broken back. He had a Howard DGA 15P reg C-GYWF. It went to Alaska in 1982 and is now operated on floats in northern Wisconsin. There was a Beech Bonanza there reg CF-EIL for awhile. I thought he owned it but the ownership sequence on the Can Aircraft Registry doesn't reflect that. I have pics of some of them but am away from home for a few months.

AP
Wow! Thanks for the info. I haven't run across any info about a howard. Is the Bonanza the one that appears in the Defender Film?
Great pic of the firefly. I've seen some of it being disassembled and the pics of it completed. Never before paint though. Super Cool

Last edited by oa5599 on Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oa5599
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by oa5599 »

Flypilot wrote:I met Bob at his Carman hanger about 5 years ago. Very interesting visiting with the man! I had a chance to see the defender and numerous other planes, even have a few pictures of the defender somewhere.
I'm hoping I get the chance to meet him. I have no doubt he must have some great stories. Any chance you'd post some of your pics?

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

oa5599 wrote:
Antique Pilot wrote:

AP
Wow! Thanks for the info. I haven't run across any info about a howard. Is the Bonanza the one that appears in the Defender Film?
Great pic of the firefly. I've seen some of it being disassembled and the pics of it completed. Never before paint though. Super Cool
It makes sense that it is the same Bonanza. Under the nose of the Firefly is the tail of the Val.

AP

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

oa5599 wrote:Recently on this board someone posted pics of an A-26 once owned by Bob Diemert. I've been working on a project and trying to get a complete list of everything he has owned. This is what I have so far:
Firefly -- WD840
P-40 --
Val -- CF-TZT
Zero -- 5356/5450/4461
P-51 -- CF-WWH
B-25 -- C-GTTS
Hurricane -- CF-SMI
Miles hawk -- CF-AUV
J-3 -- CF-BYO
H-19 --
S-51 --
A-26 --

Other possible
Avro Anson ?
p-38 44-26761/CF-GKE ?

Cheers!

Sean
Just remembered, he had a T-28 there as well for a long time. It was not flyable. No engine. The engine may have been used in the Val. There was some talk of putting a turbo prop in the T-28.

AP

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

oa5599 wrote:
Antique Pilot wrote:

AP
Here is Bob Diemert's Howard as it looks now.

AP

Attachments
IMG_1415.JPG
IMG_1415.JPG (298.21 KiB) Viewed 5345 times
oa5599
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by oa5599 »

Antique Pilot wrote:
oa5599 wrote:
Antique Pilot wrote:

AP

AP
Thats a sweet looking Airplane. How did it look when Bob owned it? Did he do any mods?

oa5599
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by oa5599 »

Antique Pilot wrote:
Just remembered, he had a T-28 there as well for a long time. It was not flyable. No engine. The engine may have been used in the Val. There was some talk of putting a turbo prop in the T-28.

AP
What could have been!

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

oa5599 wrote:
Antique Pilot wrote:
oa5599 wrote:

AP
Thats a sweet looking Airplane. How did it look when Bob owned it? Did he do any mods?
Somewhat similar colour scheme. It was changed up when it went to Alaska. I am fairly certain that he didn't do any mods. It was fine the way it was. I tried to buy it back about 1980 but we couldn't agree on a price.

AP

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Is that the Firefly that was restored in BC and flown around here a bit before going back east again?

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

AirFrame wrote:Is that the Firefly that was restored in BC and flown around here a bit before going back east again?
No. The Diemert Firefly we are talking about goes back to the late 1960's. It came from Australia.

AP

oa5599
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by oa5599 »

Antique Pilot wrote:
AirFrame wrote:Is that the Firefly that was restored in BC and flown around here a bit before going back east again?
No. The Diemert Firefly we are talking about goes back to the late 1960's. It came from Australia.

AP

http://www.warbirdregistry.org/fireflyr ... wd840.html

Flypilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Flypilot »

Searched my computer and found one picture of defender. Sorry it's not a very good one. I'll post better ones when I find them.

Attachments
IMG_0098.JPG
IMG_0098.JPG (163.79 KiB) Viewed 5222 times
Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

oa5599 wrote:
Antique Pilot wrote:

AP

http://www.warbirdregistry.org/fireflyr ... wd840.html
You are way ahead of me in the research department. I am mostly doing mine from memory. Interesting note about the Merlin 500 going into the Firefly. Bob got several Merlin's from Transair of Winnipeg in the late 60's. They came off of Avro York CF-HAS which was burned up by vandals st The Pas Manitoba Airport I don't know exactly when but probably late 1960's. He put one of these in the P40. Some models of the P40 had a Merlin so I guess it was more or less legit.

AP

oa5599
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by oa5599 »

Antique Pilot wrote: You are way ahead of me in the research department. I am mostly doing mine from memory. Interesting note about the Merlin 500 going into the Firefly. Bob got several Merlin's from Transair of Winnipeg in the late 60's. They came off of Avro York CF-HAS which was burned up by vandals st The Pas Manitoba Airport I don't know exactly when but probably late 1960's. He put one of these in the P40. Some models of the P40 had a Merlin so I guess it was more or less legit.

AP

I'd heard they came off a york, but didn't know the story. Made for one ugly P-40.

oa5599
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by oa5599 »

Flypilot wrote:Searched my computer and found one picture of defender. Sorry it's not a very good one. I'll post better ones when I find them.
Amazing that he still has it. Thanks for posting

Return to “General Comments”