Is anyone seeing pay increases?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

MrWings
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Is anyone seeing pay increases?

Post by MrWings »

I wouldn't hold your breath for pay increases.

When employers can't attract workers at their "fair" wage, they will cry labour shortage and demand temporary foreign workers. It's happened in other industries with full government endorsement.
---------- ADS -----------

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

ALPA ran a strong campaign about that down south, I'm sure many remember this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHKanuyeawc

Any chance of this happening in Canada? Maybe this is why ALPA is pushing to represent smaller companies now, Georgian for example. Get a bunch of low paid regional pilots under their representation, run a big pay campaign, push up salaries and in turn union dues.

ea306
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ea306 »

Meatservo wrote:Well, unless Sunwing finds a way to hire kids before they get their pilot's licenses, I would say we've just about hit the bottom of what employers will be able to do to avoid giving pay rises.
Strange comment.
I think most of our new hire FOs are quite happy with their salary raises from last years contract negotiations. Salaries have not gone down that I'm aware. So how can one use SunWing as an example of an employer that has been able to avoid increasing pilot rises? This is just not true.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Making reference to the "cadet" program. Despite the ancillary justifications for it, "cadet" programs are a way to hire pilots with the lowest possible wage expectations. It's the only explanation for it.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

ea306 wrote:
Meatservo wrote:Well, unless Sunwing finds a way to hire kids before they get their pilot's licenses, I would say we've just about hit the bottom of what employers will be able to do to avoid giving pay rises.
Strange comment.
I think most of our new hire FOs are quite happy with their salary raises from last years contract negotiations. Salaries have not gone down that I'm aware. So how can one use SunWing as an example of an employer that has been able to avoid increasing pilot rises? This is just not true.

Totally unverified story but Sunwing is hiring and training 250 hour pilots now to fly multi tonne jets.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/715 ... h-sunwing/

This article touts 250 hour university grads getting jobs that could be going to experienced pilots as a good thing. Something to be proud of. Soon there will be bidding wars to decide who gets to pay the most for the opportunity to log jet time. The race to the bottom is far from over my friends.

About the only lower that race to the bottom could go is if they were staffed by foreigners.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Meatservo wrote:Making reference to the "cadet" program. Despite the ancillary justifications for it, "cadet" programs are a way to hire pilots with the lowest possible wage expectations. It's the only explanation for it.
Starting to thing Avcanada needs a thumbs up button. Nail on the head.

Jet Jockey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jet Jockey »

Yes I'm getting cost of living plus 1% (I have been at the top of my salary scale for many years).

ea306
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ea306 »

All FOs whether Cadet or otherwise are paid in accordance with the CBA#3.

The hourly rate is multiplied by 1000 hours per annum guaranteed minimum. There is not a separate pay scale for a Cadet. They are all paid the same. Period.

The diffence between Canada and most of the rest of the world is that we do have pilots available in the industry to draw from to hire. Will it always be this way? Time will tell. With the exeception of Jazz who have utilised a Cadet program also...this is a new development for Canadian aviation.

Attachments
IMG_6564.PNG
IMG_6564.PNG (200.71 KiB) Viewed 700 times

Return to “General Comments”