? how many jazz or wj encore f/o's hold...

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

oldncold
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

? how many jazz or wj encore f/o's hold...

Post by oldncold »

How many jazz. wj encore f/o hold second jobs and / or part time casual flying job due to low pay. :?:
---------- ADS -----------

iamnomaverick
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: ? how many jazz or wj encore f/o's hold...

Post by iamnomaverick »

When I did charters as a King Air skipper I made 72K, I took home around $4000.00. Working 22 days a month and had to deal with the usual 703 BS.

Now on second year FO pay (and including per diems) I take home roughly $3300-3500 a month working around 16 days a month. If I decide to work some overtime (1 or 2 extra days a month) I can easily pull in >4000 a month.

I truly don't see the need to work another job as there's plenty of overtime to go around if one chooses to do so.

Gear Jerker
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Gear Jerker »

I doubt anybody who is living a reasonable lifestyle from either company has any need for a second income just to pay the bills. Don't believe everything you hear.

Look, it's f***in Patrick Swayze and Reveen!
Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

I pulled about 4k my first month on line. With 3 WDOs which were quick turns and done after 6 hours. Once I hold a better block and move out west I'll have more chances to pick up easy OT. Add per diems on top of that and I really can't complain about the pay.

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

Both black tusk and iamnomaverick are referencing numbers pre tax I should add.

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

iamnomaverick's numbers aren't pre tax. He included perdiems.

After tax, year 1 FO is a whopping 2200 a month. Include perdiems at 1000-1500 a month, his number looks correct. As a YYZ blockholder, I am normally 1300-1500 a month in perdiems. I don't know how the other bases stack up, but I suspect they aren't too different.

As far as a second job is concerned, I do not need one. As the sole provider in my household of 4, I can comfortably pay all my monthly expenses and have savings left over. It's called having a budget, and sticking to it. If I need some extra money, I take an extra day at work. I doubt I could ever find a part time job that pays as much hourly.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
iamnomaverick
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by iamnomaverick »

Oxi wrote:Both black tusk and iamnomaverick are referencing numbers pre tax I should add.
I did say "take home" and "per diems included"...

What I didn't mention also is that I opted to have around $250 a month deducted from my pay to go towards our employee stock sharing program. So you can EASILY break 4k (TAKE HOME) a month having a relatively low stress and cushy job.

Monorail Conductor
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Monorail Conductor »

Was an army reservist while flying as an FO. Bid for the days i needed each month to do training and field weekends. Didnt always get them off, but it was an extra 400 bucks a month. That 400 wasnt to cover expenses or rent, but to cover frivolous luxuries like nights out, weekend trips etc.

Would highly recommend this path for students

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

oldncold wrote:How many jazz. wj encore f/o hold second jobs and / or part time casual flying job due to low pay. :?:
Due to "low pay"? None. Due to wanting to increase their income or doing something else because they enjoy it and the schedules, while not amazing by aviation standards, still allow them to do something additional? Probably a few.

Some pilots like to spend their time off engaged in hobbies, others like to find ways to make more income, some like to do both. I know a number of pilots who fly for a mainline carrier but are also doctors and lawyers. I also know a number of pilots at both the mentioned careers who are continuing their education.

Some pilots, it seems, like to spend their time-off by simply trolling internet message boards. But hey, we all need hobbies.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

skypirate88 wrote: If I need some extra money, I take an extra day at work. I doubt I could ever find a part time job that pays as much hourly.
Very good point! Though I know a few people that have side jobs doing contract web design, programming, etc. Curious to see how that stacks up with an O/T day, or a few hundred bucks doing cameos as a bartender.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

iamnomaverick wrote:When I did charters as a King Air skipper I made 72K, I took home around $4000.00. Working 22 days a month and had to deal with the usual 703 BS.

Now on second year FO pay (and including per diems) I take home roughly $3300-3500 a month working around 16 days a month. If I decide to work some overtime (1 or 2 extra days a month) I can easily pull in >4000 a month.

I truly don't see the need to work another job as there's plenty of overtime to go around if one chooses to do so.
Thank you for posting real world numbers. 3500/mo is about the take home pay of someone making $26/h working 40h/ week, or 52K/ y if my number crunching is on today. That's including pre-diems which are tax free so the calculations are more complicated but money is money in my books.

I have no idea how to crunch the numbers on Airline Pilot Central. No idea what they mean since it's not a 40 hour work week. Not saying you are at Jazz cause I know you didn't specify...

http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airl ... anada_jazz

Mart
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mart »

Fairly easy math, both encore and Jazz have monthly credit between 75 to 85 and hourly rate between 36$ to 38$ for FO. So multiply credit by hourly rate and voilà you have your take home pay pre-tax. In both case they are quite low unless you enjoy WDO or second job as a bartender and forget about life quality.

Like other said the usual side job tend to be web based since you can do that at the hotel. Some are in the housing market or have renting properties.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

A WDO will make you more than any part time job, likely.

Ancient
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ancient »

Last edited by Ancient on Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

Ancient wrote:
JBI wrote:
oldncold wrote:How many jazz. wj encore f/o hold second jobs and / or part time casual flying job due to low pay. :?:
Due to "low pay"? None.
:lol:

They actually ask you in the Encore interview how you're going to afford living in Toronto on such low pay.
What was your answer?

Ancient
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ancient »

Last edited by Ancient on Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FishermanIvan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FishermanIvan »

Ancient wrote:
JBI wrote:
Due to "low pay"? None.
:lol:

They actually ask you in the Encore interview how you're going to afford living in Toronto on such low pay.
Toronto is hardly more expensive than Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, or Victoria.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Calgary is cheap, low income tax, cheap rents (now), only 5% sales tax, cheap gas.

gunitchewy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by gunitchewy »

Your second job would have to pay really well to beat all the overtime on offer.

arctic_slim
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by arctic_slim »

I don't know what you're talking about. First year FO pay at Encore on T4 shows 50k, not including per diems. With per diems it's closer to 60k. Where do you get the idea that FOs need second jobs??? Don't know about Jazz but Encore is my highest paid job so far.

Return to “General Comments”