Drone seized by Red Deer RCMP after flying in the path of STARS air ambulance

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Woxof38
Rank 4
Rank 4

Drone seized by Red Deer RCMP after flying in the path of STARS air ambulance

Post by Woxof38 »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/d ... -1.4047480

One drone is in custody and its owner out a playtoy after the small aircraft was flown in the path of a STARS air ambulance in Red Deer.

The incident took place on Wednesday morning as the medical helicopter was making an approach to the Red Deer hospital.

Those who violate the new rules can face fines up to $3,000 for recreational use. Commercial users face fines up to $15,000 under prior regulations.
---------- ADS -----------

Posthumane
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Drone seized by Red Deer RCMP after flying in the path of STARS air ambulance

Post by Posthumane »

I'm curious how big this drone was. The new rules prohibit flying "drones" and model aircraft within 9km (5 NM) of an aerodrome and within 75m laterally of any building, person, vehicle, animal, etc. which pretty much makes them unusable within most cities and towns, but they only apply to drones weighing more than 250 g. Many toy sized drones weigh less and are exempt from these regulations (for reference, I have a 30 cm wide quad copter that weighs 115g). Still, I think there are some other laws that can be applied, and people should really use common sense when playing with these things.

"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it." -George Bernard Shaw
oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Drone seized by Red Deer RCMP after flying in the path of STARS air ambulance

Post by oldtimer »

I wonder if the helipad at the Red Deer hospital is considered to be an aerodrome? If it is, most small towns with a hospital that is equipped with a helipad would be off limits to drones and model aircraft within 5 nm or 9 km.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

oldtimer wrote:I wonder if the helipad at the Red Deer hospital is considered to be an aerodrome? If it is, most small towns with a hospital that is equipped with a helipad would be off limits to drones and model aircraft within 5 nm or 9 km.
That would be great if that's the case.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

From the Aeronautics Act
aerodrome means any area of land, water (including the frozen surface thereof) or other supporting surface used, designed, prepared, equipped or set apart for use either in whole or in part for the arrival, departure, movement or servicing of aircraft and includes any buildings, installations and equipment situated thereon or associated therewith;

jg24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jg24 »

Woxof38 wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/d ... -1.4047480

One drone is in custody and its owner out a playtoy after the small aircraft was flown in the path of a STARS air ambulance in Red Deer.

The incident took place on Wednesday morning as the medical helicopter was making an approach to the Red Deer hospital.

Those who violate the new rules can face fines up to $3,000 for recreational use. Commercial users face fines up to $15,000 under prior regulations.

good
oldtimer wrote:I wonder if the helipad at the Red Deer hospital is considered to be an aerodrome? If it is, most small towns with a hospital that is equipped with a helipad would be off limits to drones and model aircraft within 5 nm or 9 km.
It is.

Quoted straight from the TC website: Do not fly your drone... "closer than nine km from the centre of an aerodrome (any airport, heliport, seaplane base or anywhere that aircraft take-off and land)"

And technically, according to the new regs, the only place you could really operate a personal drone legally, is really out in the country or in an open place (some parks have rules against drone operation too) way out of major cities. Controlled airspace covers pretty much most major cities. And just outside those major cities, the smaller airports take over.

Posthumane wrote:I'm curious how big this drone was. The new rules prohibit flying "drones" and model aircraft within 9km (5 NM) of an aerodrome and within 75m laterally of any building, person, vehicle, animal, etc. which pretty much makes them unusable within most cities and towns, but they only apply to drones weighing more than 250 g. Many toy sized drones weigh less and are exempt from these regulations (for reference, I have a 30 cm wide quad copter that weighs 115g). Still, I think there are some other laws that can be applied, and people should really use common sense when playing with these things.

According to the website, the DJI mavic pro weighs 1.62 lbs (734 g) (exclude gimbal cover) or 1.64 lbs (743 g) (include gimbal cover). So either or, well within restricted weight limit.

Market for smaller drones , under 250g, is probably going to boom soon. Don't know.....

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Good.

I will chime in about the new regs though. They are overly restrictive but for good reason, The ministry of transport is trying to balance the books and is hoping that this will force more people to get the permits and insurance. A pay to play system so to speak. I'm pretty sure you can thank spaceman for that.

Prodriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Prodriver »

I think its good, gives the Fuzz something to do and keeps them off the highway! They really feel like they are useful when they get to tag another industry like aviation and justify there massive budgets.

"I need a time machine"
mantogasrsrwy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mantogasrsrwy »

Doesn't matter, the 75m from a building makes only the sticks an option. Typical Liberal knee jerk. Look! A squirrel.

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

The only exception to the rules is if your a member of a MAAC club and flying at their MAAC approved field. These fields are typically close to (or on) airports, cities and other buildings.

In fact - most of the rules have been in place for years.....they were just not enforced.

DSoup
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DSoup »

I'm not sure but wouldn't an altitude cap keep everyone safe?

Cap Drones to 250'

And then you can open up the rules to 3nm from airports

Prodriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Prodriver »

9 km is a little bit silly with the 250' or something height rules. These bureaucrats just can't help themselves. They keep getting administrate and regulate mixed up. It also gives the cops something fun to do beside work the hwy, good for there budgets.

"I need a time machine"

Return to “General Comments”