Manitoba government contemplates privatizing province-run air ambulances, water bombers

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Jug
Rank 1
Rank 1

Manitoba government contemplates privatizing province-run air ambulances, water bombers

Post by Jug »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ ... -1.4062493

A sign of the times I suppose, but still very sad to see for an organization with such a long and colourful history in the province.
---------- ADS -----------

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Manitoba government contemplates privatizing province-run air ambulances, water bombers

Post by dhc# »

Victim of the previous govt's mismanagement of public funds (ie) the massive Manitoba Hydro debt going forward.

FighterPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Manitoba government contemplates privatizing province-run air ambulances, water bombers

Post by FighterPilot »

While I don't think they should privatize the water bombing side. 90%+ of the MEDEVACs are already flown by the private sector. Unfortunately the government wants to rid itself of all responsibilities so when something costs money or someone fucks up it's not their problem.

P180
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by P180 »

FighterPilot wrote:While I don't think they should privatize the water bombing side. 90%+ of the MEDEVACs are already flown by the private sector. Unfortunately the government wants to rid itself of all responsibilities so when something costs money or someone fucks up it's not their problem.
I agree keep the water bombers.Ontario tried that and I will be corrected on this but when Ontario got the first 2 CL 215 they were contracted out and it was a total FU I think they came back with over a 100 snags on them but I could be wrong on that number.But for the rest of the air service give it away like Ontarios VIP operation if they do 200 hours a year they were busy.

planett
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by planett »

If cost was the issue, STARS would be eliminated. Twice the money and half the medivacs of Lifeflight.

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

If the private sector can do it, the private sector should do it.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Besides, those 415 pilots have been living the life of Riley for too long anyway. It's about time those indolent ne'er-do-wells got a taste of what it's like for the rest of us under the thumbscrews of corporate perfidy. Serves them right, the smug jerks.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

Wow Meatservo don't hold back! Tell us more but you have obviously never walked a mile or flown a mile in their shoes. I have worked with and along side these guys for years and that certainly isn't my perception. Let me guess you have never actually been around them when they are working at 200 feet and below sweating it out in a 2 minute circuit, in 30 knot winds trying to save some cottages. Well I have!

You Can Love An Airplane All You Want, But Remember, It Will Never Love You Back!
stef
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by stef »

He's kidding.

CFR
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CFR »

"What the internet needs is a good sarcasm font"

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Meatservo wrote:Besides, those 415 pilots have been living the life of Riley for too long anyway. It's about time those indolent ne'er-do-wells got a taste of what it's like for the rest of us under the thumbscrews of corporate perfidy. Serves them right, the smug jerks.
< Riley's life!

:smt040 :prayer:

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

CLguy wrote:Wow Meatservo don't hold back! Tell us more but you have obviously never walked a mile or flown a mile in their shoes. I have worked with and along side these guys for years and that certainly isn't my perception. Let me guess you have never actually been around them when they are working at 200 feet and below sweating it out in a 2 minute circuit, in 30 knot winds trying to save some cottages. Well I have!
Take it easy, Han Solo. North Shore and I are buddies. I was trying to bait him. No-one is trying to downplay your heroism. Relax.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

No need for you to worry about my heroism! It is a pretty stressful time for a lot of people in Manitoba Air Division and comments like yours can certainly play into that. Joking aside as you know a lot of people creep this site and would love to read comments like yours to justify why they should be talking to a contractor. I think a little sympathy for all concerned should be in order!

You Can Love An Airplane All You Want, But Remember, It Will Never Love You Back!
Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Manitoba government contemplates privatizing province-run air ambulances, water

Post by Meatservo »

OK, fair enough.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Having spent fifteen years in the water bombing business I personally think it is better run by the Government than by private enterprise.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
bronson
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by bronson »

I don't think privatization works. Certainly hasn't worked for highways. How do you build in a profit and get the same service for less?

bronson - you can be in a hurry or you can be in an airplane, but don't ever get into both at once
Jimmy2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy2 »

Seems to work pretty well for Western Canada.

CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

Does it?

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

bronson wrote:I don't think privatization works. Certainly hasn't worked for highways. How do you build in a profit and get the same service for less?
Yes the government is always known for being accountable for every dollar spent. I love seeing the breakdown on what my income taxes are spent on every month don't you?
Please.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

I remember a guy I knew flew the Navajo for the MB gov and they would be sitting around getting paid not to do anything while the government chartered our Missinnippi because "they were cheaper"

Return to “General Comments”