Airports to visit in southern Ontario

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Chris M
Rank 5
Rank 5

Airports to visit in southern Ontario

Post by Chris M »

I enjoy a low and slow tour around the patch as much as the next guy, but occasionally the urge to fly somewhere strikes. I'm based in Toronto (Downsview) and have stopped by many of the small fields within 75 miles or so. I'd like to start stretching that out a bit farther - anything east/south of Sudbury is game for me. Killarney and Rockliffe are on the list for this summer but I would love to have some more names on there. Paved or grass doesn't matter to me, I'm quite happy flying off either.

Appreciate any suggestions you have for me! Unfortunately I'm only renting so I can't stray too far afield (limited to single day trips and can't cross the border to the US).
---------- ADS -----------

Scout44
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Airports to visit in southern Ontario

Post by Scout44 »

On a good weather day, I really enjoy going to Tobermory. Very scenic flight up the Bruce Peninsula. The airport has loaner bicycles, cycle into town for lunch and check out the waterfront. Have some fish tacos. If you're going that way, Collingwood or Edenvale are good spots to stop or do a t&g as well.

Kingston is nice as well. Scenic along the water. Food available at or near the airport I believe.

Rockliffe is a good idea, I used to fly out of that club. Land, visit the museum, and in the summer months the club usually has a BBQ going where you can buy food.

Years and years ago, I used to do the trip to Goderich quite a bit. Good scenery on the shore of Lake Huron and the approach to 14 is interesting coming in over the water. I don't know if there's much to do at the airport, but once upon a time they had a courtesy car you could use to run into town for food. You could check on that.

A couple I haven't done myself but are on my list too which might be within reach for you:

Morrisburg (CNS8): No fuel here, or much else actually, but scenic flight along the St. Lawrence. You can land and park, then walk across the street to Upper Canada Village for food and things to see/do.

Pelee Island: Might be fun to fly into the island. Do a winery tour, and bring a bottle home to enjoy after the flight.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Killarney and Peele Island are certainly favourites for me. Wiarton is nice. Though I have not been in a while, I recall liking Port Elgin. Parry Sound is a good stop for fuel and food after a pretty flight over eastern Georgian Bay. Farther afield, I like Wawa, a good stop after a beautiful flight up the Agawa Canyon (best done in autumn), and farther yet I like Lac a la Tortue, Montmagny and Riviere du Loup Quebec.

Chris M
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Chris M »

Thanks for the pointers! My wife actually loves Pelee Island wine, so it was easy to convince her that it would be a good trip to take.

Agawa Canyon looks gorgeous. My wife is from Thunder Bay so we've driven past it a bunch of times but never stopped in. Will definitely have to make a point to visit next time we're driving through!

boogs82
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by boogs82 »

I just stumbled upon this as I was thinking about posting a trip I'd like to take.

I'm looking at doing a Georgian Bay loop basically.

Parry Sound>Killarney>Manitoulin East>Tobermory>Wiarton>Owen Sound>Collingwood.

Not necessarily a stop at all of those locations but I think it'd be a pretty cool tour around the Bay.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

boogs82 wrote:I just stumbled upon this as I was thinking about posting a trip I'd like to take.

Not necessarily a stop at all of those locations but I think it'd be a pretty cool tour around the Bay.
Well worth it.

Tanker299
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tanker299 »

Cnp7 Iroquois is another great strip on the seaway. It says PPR but it is owned by the municipality and I never had an issue getting in. Has golf course next to it sand beach and underwing camping. You can walk to the locks as well. Feels like your landing on a side walk. Westport is grass and they had (not sure anymore) bikes you could ride into town. Bakers valley Arden not in the CFS but in the copa places to fly, paved with a hill in it. If your willing to risk it round lake is an old interceptor strip. Trespassing is bad but I won't tell on ya. Gananoque NN8 had a mint pby in the hangar.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

The Georgian Bay loop is beautiful, and well worth the flight. Bear in mind that flying clockwise, from Tobermory onward (toward Killarney, and then around and to Waubaushene), Parry Sound is the only practical airport after you leave Killarney, and there are nearly no suitable forced landing areas. Life jackets and a decent survival kit are required. Plan the stop in Killarney, leaving a few hours for lunch, and a hike to the east along the shore.

Broken Slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Broken Slinky »

Jump over to Edenvale (CNV8). There's a restaurant on the field that recently changed names and owners. I think it's called Tilly's now. They have a ton of baked goods for sale. Don't pass up the cheese bread. It's awesome, especially for grilled cheese. If you're planning to head there, call in advance and they'll make sure to save you whatever treats you want.
Wiarton is another good spot. You can borrow the bikes or van and head into town for the day. Goderich is another decent spot to hit. Greasy spoon, mom and pop shop right at the end of the field. The town is a nice spot to walk around and check out. Don't forget about Lindsay airport. I'm not a huge butter tart fan but they make the best ones hands down. Now if you're into venturing stateside, there's a ton of great places to stop.

fleet16b
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by fleet16b »

Guelph CNC4 was recently voted best Breakfast Spot by the Town .
Its so popular there are more non aviation customers than aviation related customers

...isn't he the best pilot you've ever seen?....Yeah he is ....except when I'm shaving.........
Chris M
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Chris M »

boogs82 wrote:I just stumbled upon this as I was thinking about posting a trip I'd like to take.

I'd like to do the clockwise loop at some point, stopping in Killarney for fish and chips and hiking, then Parry Sounds for fuel on the way home.

Snuck out of work yesterday afternoon and flew up to Collingwood. Beautiful airport. Big smooth runway, really nice terminal/louge building...

Chris M
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Chris M »

Flew up to Wiarton yesterday after work and was surprised to see a G-IV sitting on the ramp. Had a pulled pork sandwich at their airport restaurant, Cocoa Vanilla, which was pretty good. The terminal is nice and would be a good spot to wait out weather or crash for the night.

ctmorawetz
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ctmorawetz »

Orillia/Lake St. John Airport (CNJ4) is doing a ton of upgrades currently. Was in there on Monday. They recently paved one of the runways and are buildings 3 rows of T-hangars and a new terminal building. Fuel was $1.74 per litre.

Keep your stick on the ice - Red Green
Too Low Too Slow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Too Low Too Slow »

South river/sundridge, Don’t forget your fishing pole!
2 min walk to the river in the morning, and rent the kayaks, borrow the bicycles at noon to take the scenic ride to town for lunch, then back and relax by a campfire at dusk!
We camped there right at the plane and had the most memorable experience with my son you could ever imagine!
The staff and Locals there were top shelf!👍
Check out Aerocamping Ontario on utube

sendymcsendyface
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sendymcsendyface »

fleet16b wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:40 am Guelph CNC4 was recently voted best Breakfast Spot by the Town .
Its so popular there are more non aviation customers than aviation related customers
+1 for Guelph. Restaurant is great, and there's always lots of cool birds out and about on a good weather day.

Return to “General Comments”