EFB

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Reload Return
Rank 0
Rank 0

EFB

Post by Reload Return »

What do you guys suggest for a EFB for use in Canada. I have an IPad but can find an Android device if needed. I know of foreflight but what suggestions do you have for other suitable day VFR apps.
---------- ADS -----------

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: EFB

Post by av8ts »

iPad or iPad mini is definitely the tablet of choice for most commercial airlines if that make any difference to you.

Brantford Beech Boy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Brantford Beech Boy »

before my current gig (where the EFB is supplied), I used an 8" Acer Iconia.
I never had an issue with the Acer. Gave me at least 14 hours on the battery if I was diligent and turned the screen off when not in use. I also purchased a relatively inexpensive power bank and carried it with me just in case.
I wouldn't get so wrapped up in brand name of tablet. I use iPad at work now and frankly Android vs Apple is six of one, 1/2 dozen of the other..

For software, I used FltPln.com GO app on my own dime. It's free and works great. has all the maps and approach plates and is very user friendly. Really liked the geo-referenced maps and approach plates
Never used ForeFlight cause it costs $$ but some co-workers used it and said it was a good program.

We use Jeppesen at work. Also a good program but $$$

Most of the Androids come with a built in GPS, where as only the iPads with cellular data option do...so if you get the wrong kind of iPad, you will need to purchase a separate GPS (usually bluetoothed) unit

I also purchased a RAM X-mount with suction cup (reasonably priced at Aircraft Spruce) which worked great when attached to the window. kept the tablet in the window for GPS reception and for hands free use...

"Almost anywhere, almost anytime...worldwide(ish)"
cap41
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cap41 »

If you buy an iPad that has the LTE/data option. it has the built in GPS. The iPad that is wifi only does not.

lhalliday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lhalliday »

I use ForeFlight on an iPad Mini. It works fine. I've used a yoke mount in three airplane types (Beech Musketeer, Cessna 172, Piper Cherokee).

To please my inner nerd I use a Bad Elf GPS (which has WAAS), but if the iPad has a cellular modem it has its own GPS.

...laura

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

The only time I use the GPS is for taxi at a complicated airport. It's never on for flight, it really eats battery (ipad). JeppFD Pro is the commercial go to but it's expensive. For a small operation or private, Foreflight is likely the best choice.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Has anybody used Foreflight to display Jeppesen charts?

According to Jepp it can be done;

https://www.foreflight.com/support/jeppesen-support/

I love the Foreflight "plates on maps" feature that Jeppesen Flight Deck pro doesn't have.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Yes Fireflight has charts for the US and Canada. All in all it is a great product with a lot of great features.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

FltPlan has 95% of the functionality of foreflight and it's free. Has enroute VNC/VTA, digital afd and CFS and all the IFR stuff.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"

Return to “General Comments”