Westjet goes ALPA

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Westjet goes ALPA

Post by altiplano »

62% yes vote
97% voter turnout
---------- ADS -----------

flyer 1492
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Westjet goes ALPA

Post by flyer 1492 »

Congratulations to the pilots of West Jet. Great turn out for the vote.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

Here's your new magazine subscription. There will be some money coming off your pay as well.

FA's next....

RRJetPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by RRJetPilot »

I had to sign up just for this.

This is great news for ALL pilots of Canada. Together we are stronger. Corporate greed can stay in finance. Pilots will not be pawns between companies anymore. Companies can succeed without using us as bargaining chips. I'm interested in how WJ will spin this one. Probably try to turn the public against its own pilots. Be strong brothers.

DrSpaceman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DrSpaceman »

Congrats! Air Canada next?

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

DrSpaceman wrote:Congrats! Air Canada next?
Let's hope so. One united voice against the federal government and the erosion of union rights.

Roar
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Roar »

My condolences.

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
flyer 1492
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by flyer 1492 »

Here's your new magazine subscription. There will be some money coming off your pay as well.

FA's next....[/quote]

Small change considering how much comes off your income tax every payday.

Rebel99
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Rebel99 »

Edited.

Let's hope so. One united voice against the federal government and the erosion of union rights.[/quote]

Last edited by Rebel99 on Sat May 13, 2017 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Roar wrote:My condolences.
Why?

PointyEngine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by PointyEngine »

Great news!! Sanity prevails occasionally!!! Now bring on negotiation time!!! :D

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

PointyEngine wrote:Great news!! Sanity prevails occasionally!!! Now bring on negotiation time!!! :D
While this will be a good thing ultimately for the Westjet pilot group let me temper it with some reality. You and your company are now polarized if your union representatives do their jobs properly because they represent you, not you and your company...you. Rest assured the company negotiators represent the company and ONLY the company. Your group would be wise to follow suit.

That does not exclude mutually beneficial agreements though, but your negotiators must not ever give anything away without at least an equal return...and that's just to hold your own. The pretence of mutually interest based bargaining is a myth. Trust me that your company doesn't believe in it anymore if they ever did. You only get what you are prepared to insist on backed up by a willingness to down tools. That's the way it is, and even if you don't subscribe to that line of thinking your company's executive does.

It's a two edged sword.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Rebel99 wrote:ALPA representation is really only as good as the LEC/MEC for the company in question.
I worked at an ALPA company for many years. I was there before ALPA came in. When ALPA first came in, some very needed changes were made for the better.As time went on, the union really became less effective, for several reasons. Many times, if an issue didn't personally affect the ALPA guys, the issue wouldn't get much attention at all.
Shortly before I left, a new contract was negotiated. Most of the guys on the negotiating committee were training guys, and where do you think the biggest gains in the contract were? Yup, in training pay. It certainly seemed like the handful of guys on the negotiating committee were only looking out for themselves.
I still keep in touch with a few guys at the company, and it still sounds like the union doesn't really try hard to represent the pilot group as a whole. It sounds like they try and treat it as more of an old boys club.
So, just because ALPA may come in, it doesn't necessarily mean we will be treated as one whole group."
DrSpaceman wrote:Congrats! Air Canada next?
Let's hope so. One united voice against the federal government and the erosion of union rights.
[/quote]
Unless your MEC out numbered line pilots or just agreed to the contract without holding a vote, I'd say the pilots who voted it are to blame.

Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

Is 61% considered good? Seems like they are highly divided.

Roar
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Roar »

Rockie wrote:
Why?
Do you honestly think things will become all sunshine and lollipops just because ALPA shows up?
No what will happen is the Union will make it more difficult for westjet to be profitable so the profit sharing will cease to exist, they will have to pay Union dues and at the end of the day will be making less take home because of it. Now cue all the Union drones with there unions are great help everyone BS but in reality unions do nothing and care for nothing more than their own existence.
Were conditions really that bad at Westjet, are westjet pilots working conditions vastly different from any other airline? Nope. It's just a case of the Union wanting to get a cut and convincing a bunch of people the grass is sooooo much greener with them around.

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Roar wrote:Do you honestly think things will become all sunshine and lollipops just because ALPA shows up?
Did you read my previous post?

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

There goes the profit sharing.

nothingbeatsflying
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by nothingbeatsflying »

I've worked for union and non-union employers before. In my experience the union served a purpose initially. But the relationship between employee and employer became instantly antagonistic and good-will became a thing of the past. Trust eroded, bitterness grew, and by the time I left, all forward progress had ceased and things actually had started backwards.

Last I heard the FOs and Captains had started infighting over seniority issues.

No one wins with unions except the union bosses that get a cut of the pay check. I'll never go back.

RIP WestJet

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

deleted

Last edited by Big Pistons Forever on Fri May 12, 2017 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Southwest Airlines has the longest history of profitable operations of any airline in North America. Its pilots are unionized.....

Return to “General Comments”