Jazz Captain upgrades Continue 2017

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

mato
Rank 2
Rank 2

Jazz Captain upgrades Continue 2017

Post by mato »

The equipment bid looks unbelievably junior. Looks like six months in and you can be posted to Captain in the semi annual bid. I imagine we will have pilots complete the upgrade process with less then a year on the line.

Enjoy your new positions all! :rolleyes:
---------- ADS -----------

Jimmy2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Jazz Captain upgrades Continue 2017

Post by Jimmy2 »

Yeah I seriously put my foot in my mouth at the sim the other day. I thought a big group of people were from a high school tour. Turns out it was a Jazz initial class.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Jimmy2 wrote:Yeah I seriously put my foot in my mouth at the sim the other day. I thought a big group of people were from a high school tour. Turns out it was a Jazz initial class.
That's awesome! Jimmy

sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

I thought I had it easy starting 10 years ago and couldn't get better. Gladly I have been corrected.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Pretty crazy out west. Gonna be some people in the left seat of the classic at the one year mark.

Tail-Chaser
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Tail-Chaser »

Rowdy wrote:Pretty crazy out west. Gonna be some people in the left seat of the classic at the one year mark.
If not less.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

6 month award for the left seat classic in YUL

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

Black_Tusk wrote:6 month award for the left seat classic in YUL
Not effective until month 13

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Hence why I said award.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

So with these fast upgrades, whats the new wages look like? What would a junior Dash skipper be making annually? Is Jazz a viable career option like it once was? Not for me personally, just striking up a conversation.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
dashtrash1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dashtrash1 »

From what I remember, it was ~76/hr for year 1 CA pay.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

76/hr and averaging 87hrs a month (pretty much everyone has some block growth) on an average of 15 days worked (still leaves you 3 days for OT). 85 x76 = 6460 2x76x1.5 = 228 + 6460 = 6688

6688x 12 = 80256

Add one WDO 76x1.5 x4.5 =513 x 12 = 6156

Close to 70/month in uniform cleaning/repair
220 for shoes a year whether you purchase a new set or not.
60% company match of your share purchases (up to 6% of annual income) so tack on another $2889 should you choose to.
Performance bonus anywhere from 0-200 per.. and IIRC last year for me was $800 or so?

I won't add the 2% hourly pay increase that happens in july..

Thats just a hair over 91k. Year one.

I also won't include it, but we also have some of the best per diems.. and I totalled over 14k last year there... and they are also increased by a percentage every year in July.

So, either get creative schedule wise, work a few wdo's, generate some more block growth and it would be fairly straightforward to crest 100k.

Shotgun Chuck McCoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Shotgun Chuck McCoy »

Hi all,

I am really considering applying. I have spent 16 years in the industry exploring all kinds of flying to make sure that when I go to the airlines I have a really good idea of what else is out there, so I am sure I am making the right decision.

I am wondering though about YUL as a base? Is it hard to get to as an F/O, given the current hiring situation? What about as a captain? Vancouver would be choice 2 for me - am I correct in assuming that captain seats are still pretty senior out that way?

Any info is appreciated. Feel free to PM me if you like. We might even know each other... I've been around for a while...

Thanks in advance.

What!??! Who said that?!?!
mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

YUL, very good odds and even if you don't get it initially, we have a standing bid option and base trades.
Second, YVR is going quite junior for left seat, the landscape has changed dramatically over the last couple years.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Can anyone tell me what a new hire schedule looks like in terms of days on/ off? I hear numbers like 12 GDO and it sounds cool, but what does it actually look like?

5 on 1 off, 3 on 2 off, 2 on 5 off.... and the like till you hit the minimum then all off till the next month? Can you this even be answered in general terms or is it totally different based on equipment, base, and the alignment of the stars?

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Co-joe,

I had like 4 paragraphs typed up before the connection dropped.. heres the quick answer.. haha

Contract max is 18 days worked. That guarantees 12 days off as a minimum. I just skimmed through the YVR and YYC FO skeds.. Its a big mix. An average of 13-16 days worked, and some people bid for big chunks of time off, some bid for weekends. I see one that wasn't very senior that flew lots start of may, had the last chunk off and then the first week and a bit off in june.. for a total of almost 3 weeks off, without vacay. Not bad!

On Reserve you're scheduled for 18 days. The two months I was on RES I worked 12 of those 18 days. I almost never have more than 6 days in a row. Its been pretty cushy thus far. Our scheduling rules are quite good for us... I don't usually look at the Jet bid packs, but I hear they are good too. Some high credit stuff that would have you down near 11-12 days a month if you bid smartly. Again, it's all in how you try and build your schedule!

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Thanks for both of your replies Rowdy. Its great to see real world numbers and understandable explanations.

Return to “General Comments”